Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

O4 Sunrise slide 120 outlet problem

The 120v outlet in the slide by the table went dead. I opened it up and checked that no voltage is in the cable where the cable clips from the outlet are gripped.

The outlet worked and then stopped working latter in a day. Only low power was in use (cell charger). We did not move the slide nor the coach. Yes, I checked the fuse box and GFIs.

Are there mmore than 2 GFI locations?
Is there a place "upstream" that I can get at to verify voltage available?

Sould the cable or clip at the outlet be a redone?

We are sitting on site and I would appreciate any rationale suggestions.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

DSouthw524,

Did you actually remove the two wires from the back of the receptacle and check voltage there? (We had a m/h once that had a problem when the hot lead just fell out of the back).

Drew
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If I read your wiring diagram (2004 Sunrise 36M) correctly that GFI receptical is one of three (3) that are powered from a 15 amp breaker at the load center. The other two GFI recepticals in that circuit are in the bath area. If the receptical you describe is the only one of the three that is a problem, then first look behind the couch (according to the diagram) for a connection box. Power comes from that connection box to the problem receptical. If no power there, then look upstream to a place the diagram identifies as the "Closeout Panel". There too is another connection box. There is another box upstream from that one, but if the problem is there, the bath area recepticals wouldn't work either. Up stream from that last box is the 15 amp circuit breaker at the load center that powers those recepticals.
Hope this helps,
Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply Pelleden. I only know of 2 GFIs in my coach.

To aid in understanding, the outlet are of the type that clips into a cable with teeth.
I assume that they clamp/clip when they shut the back of the outlet. I don't know if there is a way to replace them with a standard outlet in the thin outer wall.

Anyone know how to remove the cable and reseat it? I could better test the voltage if i could actually get to the wires!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On mine- you pull the fixture out of the box, then turn it around so you're looking at the back (where the wires go in). Just below each wire you'll see a recessed slot with a spring metal in it. If you push into here with a small screwdriver, you can then pull the wire out with some pliers. As usual, make sure you shut off power to the area before you do any of this.

You could probably replace this fixture with one that secures the wire with screws instead. You just have to measure and make the usual trip to the hardware store, or in my case- to the tool chest.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This may be a bit far-fetched and likely not your problem but I had a similar loss of power on my '05 Sunrise. Finally found that a rat had chewed through the ac wiring located on top of the living room slide. I could see the damaged wiring by looking on top of the slide with it in the out position. The culprid succeeded in killing three outlets on that side of coach. Incidentally, the coach was hooked to shore power at the time...don't know why he (rat) wasn't fried!
Lowhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Puttin,
The outlets you are reffering to do not exist in latter coaches. They use a cable to bring power and the insert it into the outlet and then a cliping mechanisim is driven into the cable by clamping it shut , I believe.

That is why it is very difficult to verify if voltage is in the cable, but easy to verify it is not at the metal clip.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Does anyone have pictures of the receptacle? There has to be some way of verifying voltage there.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

There is a cover on the back of the receptacle that is held on by ears extending down the sides of the outlet. These can be lifted at the ends to unlatch the cover, which can be lifted off, revealing the insides of the jaws that hold the wire conductors. I personally have never been able to reuse one of these outlets, and always replace them with regular house type outlets. If you want to replace with the original type, check with a mobile home supply store.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Have you checked to see if your inverter might have a tripped breaker. I had an outlet lose power 2 weeks ago. I looked everywhere trying to find the problem. After noticing my TV's lost power, I decided to check the inverter. The breaker was off, do to someone shutting things down for the winter. I learned a big lesson!

Good Luck!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

This is a picture of the outlets in my 08 Winne.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

The standard wiring of a GFCI loop in a motor home and for that matter some houses.

Breaker----GFCI outlet-----GFCI protected Outlet----GFCI PRotected outlet.

What's the difference between a GFCI outlet and a GFCI Protected outlet?

The latter ia a standard wall outlet, nothing special at all about it,, Save that it gets it's power from the GFCI.

Another way to do it and I don't understand why they don't.

GFCI-Breaker----GFCI Protected outlet----GFCI Protected Outelt---- and so on.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

It probably costs more for a GFCI breaker than a GFCI outlet.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote