Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Nylon bushing on slide

My slides have nylon bushings that guide each side and the top and bottom of each slide arm. The nylon bushing that is on the top of my slide arm has come out. I have the part although it may not be complete. Is this something that I can replace myself? How is it replaced? Have any of you done it? I could order a new part and install it myself and not have to take it in to the incompetent dealer here in town.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Doug,

If you contact Bryan Funke at Winnebago he will send you the instructions for replacing slide bushings (bearings). He sent instructions to me for my Journey but we've elected to have all the bushings replaced as PM at the factory when we visit there in September. On the larger slides, it involves some jacking and lifting of the slide to take the pressure off the bushings. Perhaps not so if you only need to replace those on top of the mechanism.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Sm langer,

Did your slide make a thumping sound while moving. Was the thump located directly over top of the slide arm?
the wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My big slide was not making any noise. In fact, it worked fine. However, I could see that one of the bottom bushings was broken and the slide was about 1/4" lower on that side. We were going to be near the Winne factory while on a trip, so we decided to have all the bushings replaced as a preventative measure. There are a bunch of bushings on my slide...I believe I counted 8 old bushings of various shapes in the box of old parts the techs gave me when they were done.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I made a trip to HWH in Moscow, IA. to replace a jack. While I was there I had them replace all the Nylon bearings. It was a major project that I would not want to tackle. They have special tools for the job and know what they are doing.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

are you guys talking about just the living-room slide? or the bedroom slide?
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
are you guys talking about just the living-room slide? or the bedroom slide?
They worked on the front slide only. I believe they checked the back slide and it was OK.
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 10-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Do you guys always travel with your slides tied down? Do you think the "thumping" is generated from the hydraulic arm moving around, because I don't have it tied down.
the wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wave View Post
Do you guys always travel with your slides tied down? Do you think the "thumping" is generated from the hydraulic arm moving around, because I don't have it tied down.
I am not aware if the rear slide ever had a tie down. My front slide had a nylon strap secured to a bracket on the floor. The 2 screws holding it were not adequate IMHO so I removed the contraption 5 years ago with no problems. I get some thumping on rough roads and I accept it as normal. A friend once told me to put a cottage on the frame of a truck and drive it down the road at 65 MPH and see who many rattles you have.

Don