Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I have a couple of question which relate to what you see in these two pictures and the narrative below:

I regularly inspect the roof on my '05 Journey. Recently I discovered where the fiberglass nose cap has started flaking in more than one place along the edge where it's seamed to the roof (second pic). This wasn't the case 4 months ago when I last inspected the roof. I haven't been through any hailstorms and can't think of any other exterior event/force that would cause this.

I called Winnebago Service and they asked me to have a dealer to document the issue. The dealer said "yeah they do that" and went on to say they were surprised the whole nose cap seam wasn't doped with the CSL type caulk (i.e. like around the air horns pictured here). They said most of the Journeys/Vectras they have sold come from the factory that way???

So before I contact Winnebago Service again I like to find out from my peers here if:

Does your nose cap roof seam look like mine or does it have a lot more caulk on it?

If it looks like mine are you experiencing edge flaking as pictured here?

Thank you in advance.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a couple of question which relate to what you see in these two pictures and the narrative below:

I regularly inspect the roof on my '05 Journey. Recently I discovered where the fiberglass nose cap has started flaking in more than one place along the edge where it's seamed to the roof (second pic). This wasn't the case 4 months ago when I last inspected the roof. I haven't been through any hailstorms and can't think of any other exterior event/force that would cause this.

I called Winnebago Service and they asked me to have a dealer to document the issue. The dealer said "yeah they do that" and went on to say they were surprised the whole nose cap seam wasn't doped with the CSL type caulk (i.e. like around the air horns pictured here). They said most of the Journeys/Vectras they have sold come from the factory that way???

So before I contact Winnebago Service again I like to find out from my peers here if:

Does your nose cap roof seam look like mine or does it have a lot more caulk on it?

If it looks like mine are you experiencing edge flaking as pictured here?

Thank you in advance.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply

iRV2.com RV Forum THE OWNER'S CORNER Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Vicsryd....my 02 Journey has a lot more chaul on the seam and around the air horns plate....It is white self leveling chaulk and is not silicone. RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Jon, I checked mine. It has a 3/8 to 1/2 inch bead like yours but it's not chipped. Woodpeckers?? Freeze/thaw - I doubt it.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It's covered when stored and hasn't been wet when the temperatures have been below freezing.

Birds or squirrels did occur to me. But why would they do mess with this material?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My cap to roof seams look more like yours than they do like the air horns. But I've never seen anything like that flaking/chipping. If it were mine, I would send some pictures of it to Winnebago Owner Relalations and ask for their input. Assuming I am seeing what I think I am seeing, it sure doesn't look normal, or good, to me.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The more my wife and I look at the picture the more it looks like impact damage, almost like a woodpecker did it. But why along the exact corner edge of the fiberglass?

I will be talking to Winnie about it on Monday.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Jon, I went over and looked at mine tonight and it's exactly the same as yours. Looks like that whole seam might be a candidate for Etrnabond tape. I think it looks like impact damage as well, but don't Woodpeckers do their drilling in the fall, or is it an all year headache?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Eternabond..good idea. If Winnie say "your on your own" i'll probably go that route.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

THAT's the spelling I was looking for
But you're right, for a seam that rigid it needs more protection than what's there.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My seem also looked about the same as yours, just sans-chipping.

I questioned the ability of the seal, and last year I caulked and re caulked the seam with dicor. So far, it still looks pretty good, but it was a job taking the original stuff out.

On a side note, I also did the side seams with Dicor, which did not hold up at all. A month ago I had to peal off all that, and reseal with silicone which is what Winnie Customer Relations said to do.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:55 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Dealer was a waste of time on this one. I ended up sendin my own pictures to Winnebago Service Administration a week ago. They called this morning and will authorize good-will repairs. But first they want someone from a Winnebago dealership who knows fiberglass to analyze the damage to see how deep it goes (I didn't think to probe it myself) and to determine if it is just external damage or some form of deterioration. The guy seemed very concerned about it.

Unfortunately the fiberglass expert at my local dealer weighs 300lbs. So now the hunt is on to find someone who can fulfill WSA's request.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the right response from Winnebago. As I mentioned before, it sure doesn't look normal or good. Actually, it looks like bad fiberglass to me ...some kind of defect in it. Thanks for the report back, and let us know the final outcome.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Sounds like I'd be $$ ahead to just run a strip of tape across the top just because..

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Last year I considered putting Eternabond across that seam just because. If the damage is externally caused for elements or animals then it would be a valid course of action. However, if the fiberglass itself is flawed then taping over it would probably not be the best thing to do. And since most folks here have not had an issue I'm thinking there is something wrong with the fiberglass itself.

However, it looks like it will be a while before I know anything. WSA still needs dealer verification even if the repairs are outsourced by the dealer to one of the RV body shops in the area. Now that we are in the middle of the season the earliest the dealer can take me in is July 19th.

If I had the time I'd just take it to Forest City. If I don't like the way this is being handled locally I may just have to do that but it would be September or so.

At WSA's request I did take a bunch of additional, detailed pictures and email it to them. I've uploaded them to irv2.com now and later, once approved. I'll post a link and narrative.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

The detailed pictures I took for WSA start here.

There are a total of 7 areas where the cap roof seam has damage/deterioration. In some you can see where a wider area is lifting up (delam?). I used an orange stick to "poke" at a couple of the larger affected areas. The first one seemed pretty solid while the second was flakey the residue of which is visible in the picture.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

WSA called me and said for sure no fiberglass repair was required and that the seam just needed to be sealed. Long story short, WSA and the dealer agreed that Eternabond would be a better solution than CSL caulk mostly due to the fact there is a raised/sharp edge involved.

I still have to wait until July 19th though.

Now the big question for you all. Is this the first time Winnebago has endorsed the use of Eternabond?

Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Not sure about Winne ever endorsing Eternabond before, but if they read this board they certainly know a bunch of us have used it to permanently seal the roof edge. The stuff is great and when my cap edges need re-sealing, I plan to use Eternabond. Same for roof vents...anything on the roof...caulk will be removed and the tape used.

Your's looks like it was never sealed adequately. Mine has a thick layer of self-leveling caulk that bridges the seam...the edge of the cap is not exposed.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

The WSA guys told me they know about Eternabond because so many coaches show up in Forest City with it.

Dealer told me that many Winnies they have worked on have this seam caulked. I have a feeling they are all pre-2004 though and probably without full body paint.

The rear cap seam sure is well sealed except for where the full body paint is. One side has had to be resealed but not the other (yet).

My advice to anyone with a newer coach is to buy the Eternabond and apply it to the nose cap seam day one.

I still use clear silicon to repair the roof to sidewall seams becasue of the full body paint. I've gotten pretty good at it. It takes only a few minutes and I do more than just the damanged area (like treating a cancer). About 30% overall has already been resealed.

Wow..this is my 500th post too!!

Old 07-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I too have applied Eternabond, across the front cap and down both sides. I take it into paint on Tuesday the 3rd. I've had a couple of previous appointments for the painting but due to conflicts had to reschedule. I should get the coach back later in the week and will post my satisfaction (hopefully).
I've posted on this subject in the past and still refuse to accept the roof design as being adequate, "inspect and seal as required every six months". Not after spending $240k.
I've been happy with the factory service, dealer service and overall quality but the roof design really sucks, or did I already say that?