Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Bob C
hi all

i have a journey 32t 2004 with a norcold model N842F situated in the slide.

the fan located in the rear of the refer (between the back of the refer and the outside coach wall) seems to be stuck ON while powered by propane..

i did a search here and found nothing, and looked at the norcold manual for that model and although i see a reference(p24/25) for the need for a fan when this unit is installed in a slide unit, i cannot find how to get at it or where the thermostat/thermocoupler that controls this fan is located..

when you remove the outside access panel (the upper one) there is a metal shield (baffle) which is covering the back of the refrigerator and the fan in question, however, i cannot get at the bolts that attach this plate/baffle to the walls of the coach - they(the screws) are behind the plate.. it would appear the refer would have to be removed from the inside to gain access to this portion of the back of the refer..

any suggestions??

my buddy has an identical unit and his fan turns on and off as you would expect a cooling fan to do when - the air temp is high it cycles on and off periodically - my fan will run down the house batteries before shutting off..

thanks in advance

bob casale
riverside, ri

Bob & Terry Casale
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

hi all

i have a journey 32t 2004 with a norcold model N842F situated in the slide.

the fan located in the rear of the refer (between the back of the refer and the outside coach wall) seems to be stuck ON while powered by propane..

i did a search here and found nothing, and looked at the norcold manual for that model and although i see a reference(p24/25) for the need for a fan when this unit is installed in a slide unit, i cannot find how to get at it or where the thermostat/thermocoupler that controls this fan is located..

when you remove the outside access panel (the upper one) there is a metal shield (baffle) which is covering the back of the refrigerator and the fan in question, however, i cannot get at the bolts that attach this plate/baffle to the walls of the coach - they(the screws) are behind the plate.. it would appear the refer would have to be removed from the inside to gain access to this portion of the back of the refer..

any suggestions??

my buddy has an identical unit and his fan turns on and off as you would expect a cooling fan to do when - the air temp is high it cycles on and off periodically - my fan will run down the house batteries before shutting off..

thanks in advance

bob casale
riverside, ri

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 09-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Do you have a Norcold 1200 4 door?? If so give me your email address and I'll email you the service manual in PDF format. It's 5mb. I don't think I have enough space on my website or I would place it there and you could download it. You need the manual.

I'll quote from the manual.

"Fan operation is automatically controlled by a thermostatic switch. The switch is mounted on the first condenser fin. See figure 33. The switch turns the fan on when the temperature is approximately 130 F. The switch turns the fan off when the fin temperature drops to approximately 115 F."

The condenser fin referred to above is on the back of the fridge at the very top. You can access it from the top outside removable access panel.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You should be able to download the service manual for your fridge here.

www.bryantrv.com
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If your fans are running and you can feel the air flow going by baffle and out upper vent opening is good, but some baffles the baffle was blocking the air from coming out of upper vent it was found. If thats the case the fans can't push out the heated air. You didn't say where you are but if your in R.I. they wouldn't be on now its to cool. When on LP Gas they will run more often but cycle off and on.
See if you can flex the upper part of baffle connected to outside wall of slide sometimes it is just pushed into corner of ceiling.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

yes i am in RI.. my buddy (the one with the identical unit) feels the baffle is too close at the top and the airflow may very well be restricted and the proper cooling does not take place.. the problem is we can not get at the screws that hold the baffle plate in place - they are behind the plate itself - so, it would appear you have to remove the refer from the inside of the coach to get to the mounting point of the baffle..

bob

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I would still try to get baffle out from vent side and replace if you have to with a different mounting outside. Lot more work removing refer.
What does the baffle do go from outside wall in instead of inside wall out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote