Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

norcold refrigerator and lp gas problem

Made the mistake after lp gas refill of running fridge while main valve was closed. Been trying to get it started for a while and followed manufacturers directions. No luck. Any ideas? Worked fine before I screwed up
Slbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Possibly got air in the line during the fill up. If you have an LP stove top near the fridge, run a burner until the flame is steady and pure blue, then try a few restarts on the fridge and check its flame.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks==I'll keep trying.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slbaldwin View Post
Thanks==I'll keep trying.
any luck yet? do you hear the igniter sparking and does the flame try to lite when sparking?
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Made the mistake after lp gas refill of running fridge while main valve was closed. Been trying to get it started for a while and followed manufacturers directions. No luck. Any ideas? Worked fine before I screwed up
i have read that after a few no starts, the fridge will lock out and that a reset procedure must be performed.
check these resources.

Technical

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/600.pdf
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sparking is fine. No flame as no gas is getting to the burner. Will try a few more times then off to repair shop.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i have read that after a few no starts, the fridge will lock out and that a reset procedure must be performed.
check these resources.

Technical

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/600.pdf
Can't find a reset procedure for my model. Going to try to restart a few more times then off to repair shop. Don't have the tools or knowledge to do much more.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Can't find a reset procedure for my model. Going to try to restart a few more times then off to repair shop. Don't have the tools or knowledge to do much more.
What model do you have? Plenty of experience with Norcold fridges at iRV2.

If you are at a campground, ask around. Even a simple reset at a repair shop might cost an hour labor.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Try turning the valve on your tank to off and open slowly...the valve has a shut off inside in case of hose rupture will pop closed ...even some times if you open the shut off valve to quickly this will happen........just a thought!!
hope you find the reason....
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by She and I View Post
Try turning the valve on your tank to off and open slowly...the valve has a shut off inside in case of hose rupture will pop closed ...even some times if you open the shut off valve to quickly this will happen........just a thought!!
hope you find the reason....
this made me think of something. does your propane stove work??
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Have you tried your furnace and will it fire up?
If the fridge is last in line its going to take a few more firings with air on end of line.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
What model do you have? Plenty of experience with Norcold fridges at iRV2.

If you are at a campground, ask around. Even a simple reset at a repair shop might cost an hour labor.
Model is N842IM. I've decided to keep trying for a while. Still think the problem is gas not getting there.
Thanks for input
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
this made me think of something. does your propane stove work??
Yes, stove works. It's all refrigerator issue at this point.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Yes, stove works. It's all refrigerator issue at this point.
if it is just the fridge I would suggest cleaning the flame sensor with a very fine sand paper. even if it does not look dirty. if that does not work clean the connections on the circiut board with a pencil eraser. and where the flame sensor plugs into the circuit board. keep us informed.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I let my wife fix ours. Here is the story, and you can try it.

After sitting for a few months, we started out on the road. We had been hooked to electricity for 3 days of pre-packing. I had the refrigerator in the Automatic mode and it was running fine on electric.

When we started on the road we had the code, no flow, meaning the gas was not getting there. I fired up the stove burner and instead of using the piezoelectric I used a gas grill lighter, one of those long extension ones, and held it against the burner. It took several minutes but finally the burners lit. However, still no refrigerator.

This is where the wife comes in to the scene. She says, "Did you turn the refrigerator off and back on?" My response was inaudible since I new it was in the Automatic mode - so just use your imagination as to what I might have said. As I did whatever I was doing, I heard, "I fixed it. I turned it off and back on and it is working now."

So go figure. When you figure it out, let us know.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Model is N842IM. I've decided to keep trying for a while. Still think the problem is gas not getting there.
Thanks for input
i found this info in my winnebago data file. i thought it came from a norcold manual. maybe not. i hope it will work for you.

Posted June 18, 2008 07:38 PM Hide Post
I was given the following procedure from a service tech to erase stored fault memory from my Norcold Refrigerator Model N64. It has worked several times!
- Turn "On/Off" to turn on
- Press "Temp Set" & "Mode" at same time to display "1"
- Press "Mode" to go to screen "6", "Er" should display
- Press and hold "Temp Set" until "CL" displays, then release
- Wait five seconds and press and hold "Temp Set" until "Er" displays, then release
- Press "On/Off" to turn off
Press "On/Off" to turn on
TO RESET CONTROL BOARD, SHORT PIN 15 TO GROUND???
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Pop the outside access panel to the back of the refrigerator. There is a gas line back there, loosen the fitting on the line until you can smell gas then tighten. Wait for the gas to dissipate before turning on the refrigerator.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Pop the outside access panel to the back of the refrigerator. There is a gas line back there, loosen the fitting on the line until you can smell gas then tighten. Wait for the gas to dissipate before turning on the refrigerator.
Good advise. That should purge the gas line of any air tapped inside eliminating no LP as the cause. That doesn't mean it gets any farther but it is a good start.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

For what its worth, I have always shut off my gas and let the refrigerator die at the end of a trip based on the theory that if there is no gas in the line I will be less likely to have spider issues. I always start my stove first just to get the gas going down the line and then turn on the fridge. I have never had a problem.

Now you have me worried. I did the above procedure for years with my old rig. I have only done it once with my new one. Is this likely to cause a problem?
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
For what its worth, I have always shut off my gas and let the refrigerator die at the end of a trip based on the theory that if there is no gas in the line I will be less likely to have spider issues. I always start my stove first just to get the gas going down the line and then turn on the fridge. I have never had a problem.

Now you have me worried. I did the above procedure for years with my old rig. I have only done it once with my new one. Is this likely to cause a problem?
Cliff, are saying gas would attract spiders? have never heard that before. I do not believe running out of gas would cause a problem as long as you purge your lines like you describe.