Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Norcold Recall Incentive

I received this gift card yesterday from Norcold.

So it literally pays to implement the Norcold recall. Plus the fact that Norcold paid for replacing my entire cooling unit!

Thudman; A happy camper.

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

YEAH---I got mine yesterday also. I figured it that at the current diesel fuel price and my mpg Norcold just gave me 148.6 over the highway free miles.
Thank you Norcold.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I guess there still hope for me!!! I got the recall done in late August, returned the card in September, and was beginning to wonder if I would ever receive it.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I'm confused now. Looking at who, and the years affected, have gotten the recall makes me think I should be involved.

In reading the recall list from Norcold, it says that "cooling units" with serial #'s blah,blah are affected. I was looking at my Norcold Fridge serial #1096505H and thought I was fine.

So where do you find the serial number of the cooling unit?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
Ok, I'm confused now. Looking at who, and the years affected, have gotten the recall makes me think I should be involved.

In reading the recall list from Norcold, it says that "cooling units" with serial #'s blah,blah are affected. I was looking at my Norcold Fridge serial #1096505H and thought I was fine.

Its on the cooling unit itself. open the refer. openeing on the outside of your coach and their should be a sticker on it with the number.

The number on the inside of your refridgerator is the seriel number of the refridgerator and NOT the number you want.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
makes me think I should be involved.
You may be in the latest extension (last summer or so). My '03 UA was built very early in the model year so it is actually closer to being an '02 than an '03.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post

That is what I thought for a long time until I got the recall notice and found out I had to look on the outside of the unit and not inside the fridge! We had our recall done but I just sent the incentive off to Norcold a couple of weeks ago. Guess I will have to wait awhile for the card.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

RCtime - thanks, I'll have my brother take a look.

AFChap - Mine is an early model too, so good chance I'm with ya.

Bluecrabbie - as a 2nd owner I didn't get a recall notice. And as a skim reader, I missed that crucial part.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas y'all.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'm also the second owner of my rig but I registered as such with Winnebago when I bought this coach. Are second owners getting the recall notice if they registered with Winne?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Just an update; nope, I'm not on the recall list, my cooling unit is # 1496485. Recall stopped at 127xxxx.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Another update:

I just got a recall notice from Norcold(not sure how they got my name), looks like they have expanded the list again. I now am included in the list.

700000 to 1536607
mine = 1496485

e.t.a. Just got off the phone with them. Mine is under the recall list for a "thermal switch". Is that what everybody's was for?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I just received the recall notice today. My unit is within the affected cooling unit serial numbers. Will be calling Norcold tomorrow and hoping that the local Coach Care shop can do the recall since there is really no one else in my immediate area I trust....certainly not the local Camping World.

Do they replace the entire cooling unit or just some part/s of it?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I just received the recall notice today. My unit is within the affected cooling unit serial numbers. Will be calling Norcold tomorrow and hoping that the local Coach Care shop can do the recall since there is really no one else in my immediate area I trust....certainly not the local Camping World.

Smallranger
My 02 journey it was about an hour plus job or so.
what the did, was replace the complete cooling stact portion (flue) of your refer. On mine they had to go inside and pull the refer. foreward about a foot or so to get enough room to install this new stack.
The new stack has a aluminizied metal wrap around the lower portion with a few wires going some where. It will detect an overheat and shut down your refer.
Mine has worked flawlessly after the the recall just as it did before the recall. You can make an appontment to have it done and wait for it, if your dometic repair place isnt swamped.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
The latest Norcold recall for the 1200LR or LRIM is for a thermal switch that gets installed above the LPG burner. There are some additional sheet metal piece's and foil wrap that will be installed also. Then the wires for the thermal switch go over to the main control board and are attached at 2 different places.

So, if your cooling unit is running on LPG and it decides to leak and dump the very unfriendly mixture that's held inside, the thermal switch will shut it down before a terrible fire occurs. I have read one case where the owner was using AC to power the refer and the thermal switch shut the refer off preventing a big problem when the unit started leaking. Here is his comments and I included a photo of the thermal unit installed courtesy of another poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Yesterday afternoon ...24 hr plus after the refrigerator quit ...the LP alarm started going off. When I went out and looked in the access panel there was a good bit of yellow liquid on the drain plate and strong smell of ammonia. We have a fan blowing on the LP alarm, keeping it happy enough to stay silent. If we turn the fan off, the alarm eventually goes off.

While looking in the access hole I showed a visiting friend the thermal switch the recall added to the chimney ...and saw an area just above the switch where the foil covering the chimney looked a bit strange. On close inspection, it has obvious heat damage ...looks thinner/stretched/fatigued like foil that has been in a campfire a long time. It appears to me that the thermal switch definitely saved us from overheat damage and a possible fire! I had the impression the danger of a fire existed when running on LP, but not on electric. But our refrigerator was running on electric when it failed, and still I can see that the chimney overheated at least a little!

If your unit is included in the recall, and you have not had it done, GET IT DONE!!
Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NorcoldRecall_09E-027.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	2753  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Gary on mine they put in the thermal cut off at the bottom of the exhaust stack. I think that is what the recall is for even though the notice says the cooling unit. I had mine done at Cummins South in September of last year and got the $50.00 Shell card in the mail late January of this year. I had completely forgot about the cash card as an incentive. It took Cummins about an hour and half to do the work on the stack.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

where can you find info on which norcold units are on the recall ? thanks
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #17

Faye,

Here ya go!

Recall Info

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote