Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Norcold Recall

Have not been on the site for awhile. Could someone tell me if I put in the Amish cooling unit in Will the recall for the 1201 Norcold, do you need to have the recall done? Allso what is the part that the recall are to replace?
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If you install the Amish cooling unit you should be done with Norcold recalls as you are replacing everything but the electronics and gas plumbing. That is unless they find a recall on those Norcold parts :-)

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chesnutt View Post
Have not been on the site for awhile. Could someone tell me if I put in the Amish cooling unit in Will the recall for the 1201 Norcold, do you need to have the recall done? Allso what is the part that the recall are to replace?
Randy, I just installed the Amish Built cooling unit in my Norcold 1201 and the answer to your question is NO you won't need any of the bandaid Norcold recall fixes. The Amish unit is made from a 50% thicker wall tubing than the old Norcold unit so the problems of future leaking are nil to none. Here's a video I made that may help you with your installation. Be sure to read the instructions that come with the unit as they are very important to a positive outcome.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Randy, I just installed the Amish Built cooling unit in my Norcold 1201 and the answer to your question is NO you won't need any of the bandaid Norcold recall fixes. The Amish unit is made from a 50% thicker wall tubing than the old Norcold unit so the problems of future leaking are nil to none. Here's a video I made that may help you with your installation. Be sure to read the instructions that come with the unit as they are very important to a positive outcome.

Sammie
How much did the Amish Cooling Unit conversion kit cost you? We're not happy with how cold (or rather not cold) the Norcold keeps our food. I assumed that a residential refer replacement was the way to go, but am curious about the conversion. Any thoughts?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Norcold owners should also be aware of another possible problem with some norcold fridges.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/how-...ll-100603.html
Old 08-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

How much did the Amish Cooling Unit conversion kit cost you? We're not happy with how cold (or rather not cold) the Norcold keeps our food. I assumed that a residential refer replacement was the way to go, but am curious about the conversion. Any thoughts?

John & Cathy, Here is a link to the company that sells the Amish Built cooling units. I've been quoted $300 to $500 for labor by my local RV Parts/Repair shops, but if you do the work yourself you can save some $$$$ and learn something like I did in the process. I'm not sure what model you have, thats why I'm sending the link. Call David Force. He's really helpful and will spend the time to talk to you.

Sammie

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
Old 08-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to everybody for their help. I'm now ready to get things moving. Looks like it will be just under $ 1,200. I will be doing the work myself.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chesnutt View Post
Thanks to everybody for their help. I'm now ready to get things moving. Looks like it will be just under $ 1,200. I will be doing the work myself.
Randy, Just be sure to take lots of pictures (wiring Especially) when removing the fridge. Take your time and be sure to use the foam sealant when reinstalling the cooling unit. This makes for an air tight fit of the cooling unit. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Good Luck,
Sammie

Tags
norcold, recall