Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2002 Horizon 39QD and the recall was done without removing the unit in about 2 hours....
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";528566]You can [b][URL="http://www.truefulfillment.com/norcoldrecall/ncConsumer/index.asp
REGISTER[/url][/b] your refrigerator on the link may even get $50 free gas.
Just follow their directions need cooling unit number, serial# of refrigerator and your coach chassis#.
Ok.. So I registered with the info I had and our fridge is NOT included in the recall. Whew!
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I just had the recall done at a local RV service center (not a Winnebago dealer). When they turned the fridge on to make sure it was still working, they heard a hissing sound. The cooling unit was leaking ammonia. They called Norcold and I think the new cooling unit will be covered in the recall.I wasn't around while the did the work, so I don't know what was involved, but they didn't say it was a big hassle.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

GA Cajun -- from your name, I presume that you are in Georgia --- maybe near Atlanta. My frig is included in the recall and I got the names of three places to call to have the work done --- all three did not want to do the work ????? Where did you have the work done if you don't mind sharing?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

We had ours done in Webster City, IA in July. They did remove the refrigerator without too much trouble. They did have to go through the roof vent to remove some screws to remove it. I also got an offer of a free $50 gas card if I returned a rebate form.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Finally got my recall performed yesterday at RVs NW in Spokane Valley WA (after mobile repair guy in West Yellowstone gave up in on his attempt a month ago). It took RVs NW about 3 hours, and they called Norcold to get more time approved for their payment. They tried it by moving the fridge out a bit but eventually had to totally remove it to get the job done. In addition to the screws in the front, bolts in the back and screws inside the roof vent, it was stuck in with silicone caulk. AND, I had noticed before that my roof vent cover is notched in the front to accommodate a rubber ducky radio antenna, and then the antenna and vent leading edge were sealed with caulk, so they had to reseal all that. Yes, that antenna is factory original -- looks like the factory simply got the wiring through the roof too close to the vent cover and had to cut a half moon shape out of the leading edge of the vent cover to clear the antenna!!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #27
KIX
Winnebago Master

David K, I read above that you are considering performing the recall yourself if you can get the part. I've seen more than a couple of posts stating that their cooling unit had to be replaced after or during the recall and that the cooling unit replacement was paid for by Norcold. I would imagine that should yours fail Norcold will not participate in the replacement if you do the recall yourself.
I've had my refer out to replace the heaters so holler if you need some "help".
Old 09-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Just watched a 2005 Beaver Santiam burn because of a propane fire in the Norcold 1201. The owner stated he heard the propane leak alarm go off and was trying to locate the source when he heard the "woosh" of the propane ignition and got out of the coach. He had previously checked his unit serial number and determined that his wasn't under recall. He wasn't aware of the "Cooling Unit" serial number requirement.

If you haven't had the recall done you might want to do it asap...

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
KIX
Winnebago Master

We had our Norcold recall performed in Lynchburg, VA at R.B. Taylor and Sons RV Repair. they did an excellent job in about 1.5 hours. they did have to completely remove the refer to install the recall part. Not such a big deal for us.