Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The power steering on my 2006 Journey seems to be fairly noisey like its low on fluid. I have checked the reservoir and it is just above the minimum level. Its particularly loud when setting still and cranking the steering from side to side. Is this normal? I know the fluid has a long way to travel from back to front. Could there be air in the lines?
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The power steering on my 2006 Journey seems to be fairly noisey like its low on fluid. I have checked the reservoir and it is just above the minimum level. Its particularly loud when setting still and cranking the steering from side to side. Is this normal? I know the fluid has a long way to travel from back to front. Could there be air in the lines?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I am not sure by what you mean "noisey" but my power steering does make a slight noise when turning sharply. This probably is not much help since "noisey" can be subjective.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It just seems to groan a litle more up front than normal. I'm not sure what normal is since this is my first diesel pusher.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

My 05 journey made hissing type gurgly sounds also. Hissssssgurrrrgllrglllrr. Fluid level was fine. I assumed it was normal. I no longer own it so I can't give anymore info. I think that it is just fluid passing thru the lines.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sammie,

I remember reading prior posts on this topic, and my understanding is that yes, it can be noisy primarily due to the distance the fluid has to travel from the rear of the unit to the front.

In the back of my mind I seem to remember this topic at one of the seminars I have attended at FMCA rallys where Freightliner has presented.

I think this is normal. If it sounds too loud to you, there may be an issue. I would call Freightliner to verify. They are very helpful.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #7
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sammie:
The power steering on my 2006 Journey seems to be fairly noisey like its low on fluid. I have checked the reservoir and it is just above the minimum level. Its particularly loud when setting still and cranking the steering from side to side. Is this normal? I know the fluid has a long way to travel from back to front. Could there be air in the lines? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is some reading from previous posts on the subject.
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=noisy+power+steering
Old 04-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Mine does the same thing. This is a new coach for me and I was concerned about the noise until I read some of the other posts that were referred to here. It seems to work OK.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote