Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
fastwhls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 32
No power to rv

Well, I just replaced my two rv house batteries since the old ones died on me. Now problem I'm having is I don't get any power to rv. Only way I can get power is either hook to shore outlet or run my generator, when I stop the generator or unplug from shore I loose all power to rv even with new house batteries. My refrigerator works on LP gas and electricity. When I unplug from shore or turn the gen off it will not kick to LP...[emoji20] [emoji20]
Anyone has any suggestion...??
__________________
Regards,
Nos
Happy Trails
fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 200
You missed or crossed up a wire.

Send some pictures of your connections.

If you had any sparks while handling the cables look down along the + cable for a fuse or circuit breaker.

Make sure your battery disconnect switch is on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
fastwhls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You missed or crossed up a wire.

Send some pictures of your connections.

If you had any sparks while handling the cables look down along the + cable for a fuse or circuit breaker.

Make sure your battery disconnect switch is on.
Battery discount switch is on. Power from house batteries power the generator starter but nothing comes to rv... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20170525-WA0001.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	163048
This is the wiring for two new ones
__________________
Regards,
Nos
Happy Trails
fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 200
Check under that ball of electrical tape in the top center. That's a positive feed to something and could be a bad connection hidding under there.

Next, follow the lower left cable with the NEW looking yellow end. See if that goes to chassis ground or an inverter negetive connection.

Also look around for wires not connected or a breaker somewhere.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Bigd9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 83
Looking at your picture I see three wires connected to the negative post, but only 2 wires connected to the positive post. Could one of the wires have dropped down and was inadvertently missed when making the connections?
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
fastwhls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Check under that ball of electrical tape in the top center. That's a positive feed to something and could be a bad connection hidding under there.

Next, follow the lower left cable with the NEW looking yellow end. See if that goes to chassis ground or an inverter negetive connection.

Also look around for wires not connected or a breaker somewhere.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-05-25-17-50-38.png
Views:	422
Size:	670.9 KB
ID:	163051
This is a picture of the wiring with old batteries before I do anything. Unfortunately being on wheelchair makes it difficult to get around and trace the cable but I try.. thank you so much for your help...
__________________
Regards,
Nos
Happy Trails
fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
fastwhls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwhls View Post
Attachment 163051
This is a picture of the wiring with old batteries before I do anything. Unfortunately being on wheelchair makes it difficult to get around and trace the cable but I try.. thank you so much for your help...
The positive had two wire connected to it. I posted the picture to previous replay...
__________________
Regards,
Nos
Happy Trails
fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwhls View Post
Well, I just replaced my two rv house batteries since the old ones died on me. Now problem I'm having is I don't get any power to rv. Only way I can get power is either hook to shore outlet or run my generator, when I stop the generator or unplug from shore I loose all power to rv even with new house batteries. My refrigerator works on LP gas and electricity. When I unplug from shore or turn the gen off it will not kick to LP...[emoji20] [emoji20]
Anyone has any suggestion...??
Sent you a PM with pictures. When I last changed out all of my 12v batteries, I broke off a ground cable moving the batteries around. The grounding board and manual disconnect switch (on my 2005 anyway) is to the right of the first battery (left battery in your picture) and attached to the motorhome frame rail. Kind of hidden until I took all the batteries out and looked around. In moving the cables around to finesse the batteries into place, I must have put too much pressure on the negative / ground cable for the batteries that runs back to this board and it broke off. In my case, I discovered no 12v power to the engine because it wouldn't start. I'm not sure if it took out my coach 12v power too as I never checked it, panicking on why my motorhome wouldn't start, and focusing on that.

Here is my battery wiring set-up, with my coach and chassis (engine) batteries set in place with the grounds on the top side-RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Connections.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	163070  
__________________
Ricardo Tegarini
2005 Itasca Sunova
Workhorse Chassis W20
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
fastwhls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 32
Hi, I did get your pictures. Thank you so much. I was told to check see if all my connections are not damaged. I had it done by mobile battery service.. but I will check it tomorrow. Stuck in RV park.. can't leave till get it fixed.
Thanks again.
__________________
Regards,
Nos
Happy Trails
fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master
 
Duner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 531
Can you get the mobile rv guy to come back out? Seems like he should have some responsibility to assure the new batteries are installed correctly and the circuits are working.... as in good charge voltage when plugged in and supplying power when running off the batteries. I would expect a reputable mobile rv tech to find a simple problem here and take care of this no charge.

Good luck,
Bill
__________________
Bill & Helen, Last of the Chieftains, 2004 39T, W22, UltraPower, Banks Headers, Koni's, Safe-T-Plus, SMI Stay-n-Play, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid towed 4-down
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-picture97.jpg
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:59 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwhls View Post
Hi, I did get your pictures. Thank you so much. I was told to check see if all my connections are not damaged. I had it done by mobile battery service.. but I will check it tomorrow. Stuck in RV park.. can't leave till get it fixed.
Thanks again.
I can't tell with complete certainty, but it almost looks like you have four wires connected to the side-wall post in your old battery picture but it looks like five wires after the new battery install... or is it just how the wires are positioned from one photo to the other? (I only have four connected at that side-wall post.) -RT
__________________
Ricardo Tegarini
2005 Itasca Sunova
Workhorse Chassis W20
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
fastwhls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I can't tell with complete certainty, but it almost looks like you have four wires connected to the side-wall post in your old battery picture but it looks like five wires after the new battery install... or is it just how the wires are positioned from one photo to the other? (I only have four connected at that side-wall post.) -RT
I was watching him while he was changing the batteries. He didn't touch that connection. Only things he touched were batteries tie downs and the batteries leads connection...
__________________
Regards,
Nos
Happy Trails
fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwhls View Post
I was watching him while he was changing the batteries. He didn't touch that connection. Only things he touched were batteries tie downs and the batteries leads connection...
So are there four or five cables connected to that post in each picture of the old batteries and new batteries? Cables do appear to have been moved around and I'm curious how many cables are connected. The picture that looks like there are five could be a cable that is just running past that post or the camera angle. Guess I'm looking for the cable with the pink tape in the 'old' battery picture that I can see in the new batteries picture.

Also, it might come down to pulling out the batteries and and inspecting the grounding board mounted to the frame rail. That's where one of my grounds broke off and I lost 12v power. -RT
__________________
Ricardo Tegarini
2005 Itasca Sunova
Workhorse Chassis W20
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise
 
aauummm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Check under that ball of electrical tape in the top center. That's a positive feed to something and could be a bad connection hidding under there.

Next, follow the lower left cable with the NEW looking yellow end. See if that goes to chassis ground or an inverter negetive connection.

Also look around for wires not connected or a breaker somewhere.
I agree twinboat, I don't like the looks of that bunch of electrical tape wrapped around that positive cable, top center of the photo. Looks like someone tried to tape up a damaged section of the cable or something. Not good, it shouldn't be there regardless if it's the problem or not.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
no power unless hooked to shore power ken551 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 7 06-21-2012 05:55 PM
No power in house when off shore power. Batteries good. wbezemek Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 13 01-04-2012 07:16 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.