Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No power to engine start

For some reason I've lost chassis battery power to the engine on my 2014 Vista 27N. It is as if the Chassis battery disconnect is in the off position. It's not. I can start the RV with the boost switch. I assume the battery disconnect switch is wired to a selanoid or some such but can't figure where to go from here. I am 4 plus hours from a service center so would like to solve issue on my own. Any suggestions?
budbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Not familiar with the Vista but the main battery cable should got directly to starter or starter solenoid. From there it will also feed the disconnect solenoid then to ignition. Possible to have a cable from battery to disconnect solenoid. You can download chassis electrical diagrams from the Winnebago website. If you locate the disconnect solenoid, assuming you have a meter check voltage on both sides. If it has failed you can always connect the two main cable to one side. This will give you voltage to the ignition, just won't be able use the disconnect until things are repaired.

Any chance the chassis battery is just dead?
Old 02-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
Just Trying to Help

budbon-

Winnebago supplies wiring diagrams here.

The diagrams for your coach are here.

The battery diagram for your coach is sheet 6 or 7 (PDF pages 7 or 8) here.

By those diagrams my first guess would be that the chassis battery voltage is too low.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! Now to figure how to get the dog house off.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:07 AM   #5
Just Trying to Help

budbon-

What's under the doghouse to which you need access?
Old 03-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbon View Post
Thanks! Now to figure how to get the dog house off.
Mine uses a 5/16 (I think it is) allen key on the center back and a couple screws on each of the front corners but those may be added by the previous owner. Once the allen turns the lock and the screws are out pull it back slightly and up.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
budbon-

What's under the doghouse to which you need access?

I he engine. I want to check the selanoid. For some reason the battery power is not getting to the ignition system.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Just Trying to Help

budbon-

If you are able to start the engine with the boost switch, then the path from the chassis battery to the engine is OK, and so is the engine starter system. The symptoms really do point to a discharged ("dead") chassis battery.

If you're looking for the starter relay, you may be able to find it by looking under the hood and through the wheelwells. That would save you the trouble of opening and closing the doghouse.

Although I have a service manual for our model-year F-53, I leave figuring out engine and drivetrain problems to our trusted local mechanic.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
budbon-

If you are able to start the engine with the boost switch, then the path from the chassis battery to the engine is OK, and so is the engine starter system. The symptoms really do point to a discharged ("dead") chassis battery.

If you're looking for the starter relay, you may be able to find it by looking under the hood and through the wheelwells. That would save you the trouble of opening and closing the doghouse.

Although I have a service manual for our model-year F-53, I leave figuring out engine and drivetrain problems to our trusted local mechanic.

The battery shows 12.7V. Even if the battery was week I would get dash lights or at least a click from ignition. I am assuming there is a selanoid or some such that the battery disconnect is fed thru. I'm taking the RV to an auto electrical tommorow.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I had that happen once and do you believe the chassis’s battery switch was off.
Seem like more times than not the problem is me.
Oh well.....
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Problem Solved

It turns out one of the battery clamps was loose. Cleaned post and tightened clamp, everything hunky dorie.

Tags
engine, power