Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No power microwave

ok, am camp with shore power, everything is going great and GF was using microwave. She wanted to take something out so she opened the door, took food out, pressed clear off, now no power. Check breaker under the bed, seems ok, I tripped it and then reset, still no power, check GFI, it is ok. All plugs in kitchen work. Is there another breaker someplace
Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.
2005 Winnebago Vectra.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My '05 Vectra FD had the very same problem. Pull the Microwave and check the outlet. If you reach up under the back left of the MW there should be an access hole to reach the plug through. If you can get enough cord you could try another outlet via an extension cord. I am telling you all of this because I know you checked the breaker already.

Rick
Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

could be the safety switch on the door latch of the micro..should not start with door open
Old 09-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Br sure the outlet the MW if plugged into is the problem, or if the MW itself is the problem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

MW has an internal fuse.
If all other suggestions dont solve the prob check the fuse. Not easy. Front of MW has to come off and then you can see the fuse. In some installations the MW has to be removed to get the front off. I know this because I had to do it once.
Good luck.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you need to dig into the MW this link down near bottom has info on doing just that.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

First of all, thanks for all of the quick and great responses. Here is an update and a mystery. So all day yesterday no power to microwave, had planned to pull it today and check the fuse. Am sitting here this morning, and "beep" the microwave starts blinking to set the clock and appears to be working fine.
Haven't moved the coach to possibly jar the plug or anything like that.
The only significant difference this morning is I am running the heat pump as it was a chilly night in Moab,Ut

Anybody have any ideas other than WOW it works?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I don't know if this helps. On mine I have a 50 amp surge protector not hard wired in so the power cord worked loose from putting it in and out of the cubby it goes in so when I plugged to the power pole one leg of the 50 amp plug was loose and the MW and front tv did not work.

Don
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Something you might consider: Most microwaves have door switches, usually three of them, to prevent any possibility of the door being open while the microwave is heating. I have found that they sometimes get jammed by food and sometimes just wear out. In some units they are designed to blow the main microwave fuse, in others, they just shut off the power to the unit. If you have a sticky switch it could possibly cause the off-again on-again problem you are seeing.

Good luck.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
KIX
Winnebago Master

Since you did nothing to get power back to the MW........maybe you should start checking all electrical connections. You could start in the main distribution panel.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
First of all, thanks for all of the quick and great responses. Here is an update and a mystery. So all day yesterday no power to microwave, had planned to pull it today and check the fuse. Am sitting here this morning, and "beep" the microwave starts blinking to set the clock and appears to be working fine.
Haven't moved the coach to possibly jar the plug or anything like that.
The only significant difference this morning is I am running the heat pump as it was a chilly night in Moab,Ut

Anybody have any ideas other than WOW it works?
Were you plugged into 30A? If yes, your power management system will shut down things to prevent tripping the 30A pedestal breaker. I think mine states it begins shutting things down by priority at 28A.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If you can reach the AC plug, try re-seating it several times.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If you can reach the AC plug, try re-seating it several times.
Sorry to disagree, Dunner. That is a dangerous thing to do. These outlets are cheap modular types and not rated for heavy service as with the microwave. Mine in my last coach melted! If contact is not made on the first try something is wrong. Replace the outlet with a better one. If the microwave is plugged into a good source of power and does not work something is wrong and it needs to be repaired.

Rick
Old 09-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Brother-in-laws MW quit working and my father-in-law and I took it out, opened it up and could find no obvious reason as to why it quit. We put it back together and it has worked ever since. ????

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Pepper2, I thought they were for more than one time use.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote