Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I think Vern had a good story with the correct solution. It is always easier just to take a VOM in hand and maybe a wiring diagram (available at the top of the web site) and simply trace the power from the input to where it should go. A test light is another way to go, but a VOM is only $3 from Harbor Freight right now.

As to how connections are made....If you know how to solder properly and can solder wire connections there is no better way to make connections. (You can still use a wire nut to provide insulation) The reason is that the solder provides continuity and protects the connection from corrosion--and actually provides mechanical strength as well as a low resistance joint. If you don't solder, then make sure the wires are clean and twisted tightly together before screwing on the wire nut.

Good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

WOW, thanks for all the help. Due to my work schedule I won't be trouble shooting this week but I will keep everyone posted. I will be sure to post the final repair and the trouble shooting that was done. Thanks again.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

After some trouble shooting I have narrowed it down the Xantrex Inverter transfer switch based on their web site trouble shooting guide (From their web site trouble shooting guide below):

It is not transferring (there may be a transfer issue if there is no AC in the boat (RV) when plugged into shore power or running the generator).

This is my issue

With shore power plugged in or generator running measure the AC voltage at the AC input side of the inverter. Is the voltage between 90-130 volts AC?

Yes I had AC input voltage of 119 Volts

Measure the AC voltage at the AC output side of the inverter. The AC output voltage should be the same as the 90-130 volt AC input reading you measured on the AC input side. Is the AC output voltage between 90-130 volts?

No, I have 0 voltage on the the output side.

The inverter needs to be repaired.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
Below is Xantrex's transfer switch explain:

What is automatic AC transfer switching?

All Xantrex Inverter/Chargers incorporate an automatic transfer switch. This switch senses when outside AC Power is present and transfers the load from the inverter to the source of incoming power (shore or generator). The unit also automatically switches from invert mode to charge mode. END OF XANTREX WEB SITE TROUBLE SHOOTING GUIDE

As can be seen from above, the Inverter 'transfer switch' is not the same as the 'Big Silver Box'transfer switch where the 50 AMP cable comes in.

So, I guess I'll be removing the Inverter and getting it repaired/replaced. This is my second Xantrex Inverter/Charger. The first one went out because it would not charge. That was about 18 months ago. When I get it repaired I will make a post to confirm that was the issue. Thanks to all for the very good ideas as to what the problem could be.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Florida Guy, not all the power to the coach goes through the inverter. The air conditioners, electric water heater, washer/dryer if you have one, do not feed through the inverter. It could be that the air conditioners do not work because there is no 12 volt power to run them but you said in your original post that there was no power to the air conditioners. There should be 120 volts AC to these circuits.
Back to the inverter. You could have a loose motherboard in the inverter. Have you tried checking the connections to the board?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I think he mentioned in one of the added posts that he later found his AC was working, and the first time he forgot to lower the temperature far enough to make the system start.

It appears that he has experienced what we have all too often with this series of inverter/charger, internal transfer relay failure.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I must have missed or forgot about those posts. Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

All is fixed. I replaced the Inverter this morning and all power is back. Must have been the transfer switch internal to the Inverter. I will be shipping off the old one to Orlando and have it repaired. My luck with Inverters I need a spare. Thanks to all for ideas.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Glad to hear that you have got the problem resolved. While you were changing out the inverter, did you notice any thing that could have contributed to the demise; like loose connections, dirt, dust or corrosion?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I checked everything out while I had the old Inverter out. Everything looks still new. I did perform the BACKFEED test on the Inverter AC output as Xantrex recommends. As Xantrex says, any AC backfeed will ruin the Inverter. This tests verifies no AC power is being backfed from the coach AC wiring to the AC out on the Inverter. Simple test, disconnect the AC out wiring on the Inverter, energize the AC in and measure the voltage on the coach wiring (not Inverter wiring) that is from the AC out. There should be '0' AC voltage. All is well.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Sorry I didn't read this post earlier, and I'm glad to see you got your problem resolved. However, there was one more check you could have done prior to replacing the invertor.

On the Xantrac 1500 there are two fuses inside the invertor. One controls the AC transfer circuitry and the second controls the actual invertor. You have to take the cover off the invertor and the two fuses are located on the top edge of the circuit board. The fuse of interest is the second one from the edge and is a 1/4 amp fuse. This fuse controls the AC transfer circuity. The other fuse is a two amp fuse and controls the actual invertor circuitry. The 1/4 amp fuse will blow if high voltage (such as 220 Volts or a power spike) is applied to the invertor. The fuse is a "AG" type fuse, which is a miniature version of an "AGC" fuse.

You can download the XANTREC manuals from there web sight and the manual references this fuse in the trouble shooting section.

For replacement I was not able to find a 1/4 amp (AG)fuse, but I was able to find a 1/2 amp at a Electronic supply house. I installed the 1/2 amp fuse and continued searching for a 1/4 amp fuse. I was able to find one several months later at a supply house in San Diego. Radio shack carries minature fuses, but they are larger than the AG type used in the XANTREC.

Given your symptoms, there is a very high probablity the fuse was blown and a 50 cent replacement fuse would have fixed your problem.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Roadking,
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned it earlier, but I did remove the cover and checked fuses. There were OK. One of the fuses, I think the 1/4 amp one, can be checked by measuring the resistance between the hot and neutral AC input wires on the Inverter without removing the cover. I did this check and also removed the cover to double check the fuses.