Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Well...... I do know that to replace the two A/C Units and dual compressor / heat pumps you are looking at almost $5K.

My buddy Racer7 did suggest I replace the other capacitor though while the unit is out, so for $20 rvbucks I did that to.

Harold had to do it to a Winnie Adventurer last year who use to drive his RV in the winter months all the time up here. The road salt up North is a killer for the A/C units.

I think I should be ok. I know guys driving around with 15 year old A/C units still going strong.

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Had my entire basement A/C replaced last fall with new R-410A unit. RVP no longer makes R-22 units, altho I understand they are making replacement parts. Call RVP Tech Spt (316-832-4357/3468) for info. The new units Require 50 Amps because of compressor draw, so if you have a 30A RV, it's a no-go. In my case the entire unit was beyond economical repair. Cost was over $4000 with parts & labor.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Like you, my rig is approaching the 10 yr mark and I've not had AC problems....yet. We're heading out mid June and I'd not like to have AC problems I cannot have a chance to resolve. Is the 'hard start kit' available from the average AC parts house or is it something I need to get from AirExcel/Coleman?
Here you go. I put in a spp6e kit in each of my roof units this spring. It makes a difference when the compressor starts.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Thudman ...what problems did your old unit have that made it beyond economical repair? I have known of one or two being totally replaced, but not why that was necessary.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Well the new fan motor is $295.00... They also suggested I put in a new capacitor and arm for total parts of $390.00.. Since it cost about $255 in labor or more just to drop the units I said to go with the new parts.

Looks like all up all in around $750.00 I guess it could have been worse. I got a price on a rebuilt rear hydrolic jack for $495.00.... I said forget it for now, I will spray it with silicone, it goes up then...lol

Just another lesson learned on the putting out of rvbucks.

Regards... Jim P.
Jim,

If you can do a HWH jack, you can pull the basement A/C unit. I've done it twice and it's really pretty straightforward. Since your rig is a 2004 like mine, if you have to go in there, you may want to consider replacing the metal squirrel cage with the newer composite plastic one that's much more quiet and reliable and then upgrade to sealed ball bearings too.

Check out the procedure I wrote for basement air. In my signature is my website where you can download the pdf.

Take care,
Bill
Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bill:

I checked out your site. It is fantastic to say the least. WOW pictures and all. If had known this before I would have attempted the fix of my A/C unit.

You are in my favorites from now on.

Outstanding.... check his site out.

Regards Jim P.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Saga Continues

Well it's been three weeks and my coach is STILL at Harolds RV. They had ordered two different sets of parts. The second set they ordered was an arm and the fan mortor itself. I think it was from RVparts. The first motor came in and the shaft wouldn't turn. The second one came in and the housing was damaged in shipment. The third one shipped overnight was finally ok.

These were NEW motors not rebuilt ones. We shall see. I pick up the coach on Thursday. I am leaving on Friday for a three day campout. I also replaced both capacitors to be sure.

Regarsd Jim P.