Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

I've been following this topic for a while now (buncha threads here & on TrailerLife tech forum over the past coupla years). Those who say its no big deal just haven't run into it; obviously others have w/serious consequenses. It is truly a shame that Winnebago hasn't redesigned the seam, including roof attachment. Amazing too. This is the biggest single detraction from Winnie quality, and a huge source of bad press (bad internet?) for the company. It would take minimal effort to re-engineer & the issue would go away for new coach buyers.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

If this is "THE" Winnebago Industries forum, why aren't they reading and responding to issues such as this????
Old 02-10-2005, 02:05 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Because they know they are guilty as charged ?
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

I ran into a couple last month at the local Camping World with a 1999 Winne and his roof had tried to come off while crossing the Great Salt Lake on I-80. It was real ugly. Duck tape was holding it on and he was lost for what to do next. It was completly out of shape and had a big tear in it across the top.
He had never heard of inspecting the seam. Nothing from Winne. Not ever using computers, he knew nothing about this and other sites. I really felt bad for him and his bride.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #45
Winnebago Master

747 Driver:

That is sad. I checked the seam on our recently purchased used Journey and it looked fine...however, I'm plotting to seal it permanently with Eternabond when the weather warms up. Sure wish they made that stuff in a 2" wide roll.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

It would be nice if they made 2" rolls for half the price of a 4" roll

Since they don't, I came up with a pretty easy way to cut the stuff.

Check out about half way down the first page of this thread Eternabond for how I apply the stuff.

Here's the picture of the cutting jig. Just a guide edge and a razor blade in a slot. Cuts a whole roll as fast as you can pull it through and reroll it.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #47
doc
Winnebago Owner

smlranger> This thread is getting sort of long and it may have already been said, but..if you check your roof edges, make sure you do more than just look at them. Press inward just above the gutter rail and see if you have a separation. When I was at the factory a couple of years ago, the tech there did the 'complementary' check and found about 2 feet of joint above the drivers side window that looked just like rest of the joint, i.e. no separation, but when I pressed inward it moved and opened up. When I got around to repairing this in the fall, several feet of the joint had turned loose.
It still looked good, but was not stuck any more. I bought caulk for the re-caulk job at the factory then decided I would use the EB fix as well. I re-caulked and then put the EB in place. I sat the 2" strip on the gutter channel bottom and let it lap up over the new caulk and onto the roof edge. Worked like a charm.
Surely Winnebago will one day find an engineer to redesign this joint so this 'check every six months' business can end. Or simply apply EB at the factory.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #48
Winnebago Watcher

This is the first time I have visited this forum. We have owned 3 winnes 92 brave 99 adventurer and now 04 journey. The roof on our 99 adventurer actually blew off a 18 inch wide by 30 foot long strip in the passenger side in a thunderstorm on the interstate in montana. At the time the coach was 9 months old. winnebago fixed both sides by cutting a strip off up to the radius and using a joint the length of the coach as well as a deeper J mold on the sides. I was told at the time that a roll of roofing was being cut too narrow and hence coming out of the side molding. They told me that this was common in the 99 and into 2000 model years. I traded the unit in a couple of years since I was nedrvous with the two seams on the roof. Now in reading this forum I seem to be hearing that the problem is on going and due to a caulking failure?? someone please enlighten me. I bought the journey thinking the problem was long past and hoping to keep it for many years into retirement l. I guess if it is an on going problem this will be my last winnebago. I find this very sad since the rest of coach is exceptional any advice tom
dogvetia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:59 AM   #49
Winnebago Camper

After reading all these posts I went out to check my new 2005 Voyage roof line. It seems that the front cap overlays at least 6" of the roofing fiberglass and the rear cap overlays about 4" of the roof. I do not know what the previous caps looked like or how much roof was tucked under them, but unless the side edge bows out I do not see how the roofing can come off. I can understand cracks and leakage at any seam and will keep a eye on them. Perhaps it would be interesting to see how they are made NOW after all these past posts. Think we'll plan a trip to the factory and learn something.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:04 AM   #50
KCE
Winnebago Owner

Rapid Ray, It's not the "end caps" that are the problem.
Its on the sides where the roof rolls and slips behind the drip edge that is causing all the fuss. By the way you can't tell to much by just looking at it. You have to gently push in at the seam and look for seperation of the joint.

You have a 2005 I would be interested in what you find.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

I have been watching this thread for several mo. and did not know about the roof edge or rail
prior. Have a 02 winnie adv. which is garaged
in Chesapeake Va.since new. Can not find that
the roof has pulled loose from the rain gutter,
or roof rail and end caps. But am still not a
happy camper.

Question?? My old winnie, I used a sealant called PARR or parbond, which I was very happy
with, installed my sat.ant. with and it stays
plyable for years. Was going to use it on the
rail but read direction and said to use it on
1/8" less. OH SHIP!!

Anyone know anything bout PARR, as I have not
seen it called by name, in this or the OTHER
web site!!!!

coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote