Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My wife seem to hear new sounds every time we take the MH out. This time she heard a screeching sound coming from the right side of the coach while in motion. I told her to ignore it until something breaks! The sound was really starting to get to her. On our second camping stop, we noticed a metalic squeek when we closed the coach door. It sounded like a parking brake cable hitting the drive shaft. We were staying at a friend's house and he decided to see if he could find the source of the noise. I kept slamming the door while he poked around underneith the coach. It turns out there is "heat shield" that runs along the side of the exhause. Being a welder by trade, he noticed there were two broken spot welds. The front of the heat shield was rubbing on the frame crossmember just behind the transmission. As soon as he pulled it away from the frame, the squeeking stoped! He tied off the heat shield with a wire and that is the end of the latest noise! Can't wait to hear (then find) the next irritating noise!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My wife seem to hear new sounds every time we take the MH out. This time she heard a screeching sound coming from the right side of the coach while in motion. I told her to ignore it until something breaks! The sound was really starting to get to her. On our second camping stop, we noticed a metalic squeek when we closed the coach door. It sounded like a parking brake cable hitting the drive shaft. We were staying at a friend's house and he decided to see if he could find the source of the noise. I kept slamming the door while he poked around underneith the coach. It turns out there is "heat shield" that runs along the side of the exhause. Being a welder by trade, he noticed there were two broken spot welds. The front of the heat shield was rubbing on the frame crossmember just behind the transmission. As soon as he pulled it away from the frame, the squeeking stoped! He tied off the heat shield with a wire and that is the end of the latest noise! Can't wait to hear (then find) the next irritating noise!

Old 04-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Ain't it great to have friends that can do things.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigRedLancer:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let us know how you make the repair permanent. Metal strap and bolts/screws etc?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sounds like Workhorse needs to do a better job of training their welders, I had two spot welds break in the same place.

I drilled two 5/16 inch holes and used a couple of 1/4 inch bolts to fix the problem. Has held up for about three years and almost 30,000 miles.

I noticed a while back that two or three spot welds on the front end of a panel that is on top of the chassis rails are broken. This panel is roughly behind the step area.
Because of the location it's going to be difficult to drill holes in the right place and welding isn't going to be easy either.
I haven't decided exactly how I am going to fix it.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:50 AM   #6

Winnebago installs the heat shield, not Workhorse.

I have a complete long thread in this forum about this....

Our heat sheild creaks and cracks during warm weather driving....our dealer has installed some styrofoam between it and the box (right in front of the rear axle) and has stopped most of the noise....In the front aread, I have also inserted a 1x6x8 down the middle between the shield and the floor to limit the flexing....too early to see if this works as we still have 20" of snow on the ground and it doesnt creak and crack in cold weather...only hot weather
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigRedLancer:
My wife seem to hear new sounds every time we take the MH out. --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>DW's announcement for virtually any unplanned or spontaneous event is "uh-oh" pronounced with an air of drama. This could mean she dropped her pencil, or the bridge is out one coach-length ahead. Always keeps me on my toes

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I took my Sightseer in yesterday to get the oil changed. It has 4,975 miles but the oil has timed out. This is the first time I've driven my motor home since getting my new hearing aids. I can now hear every pop, creak, moan, and groan. I told my wife that I can't drive the motor home with my hearing aids in because it is just too noisy.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Winnebago installs the heat shield, not Workhorse.

I have a complete long thread in this forum about this....

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's odd, when I was at the factory Winnebago said Workhorse installed them and would not fix them under warranty.