Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

what has happened to quality workmanship. purchased a 2008 vectra in april 08. had two failures before leaving dealer lot. rv back at dealership with a list of (13) new problems. this is our third winnie,with not problems from frist two. i have been in contact with factory and have been assured my problems will be resolved. my wife say's this has been a real pain. i would list the problems here but it would take up too much space.
rtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

what has happened to quality workmanship. purchased a 2008 vectra in april 08. had two failures before leaving dealer lot. rv back at dealership with a list of (13) new problems. this is our third winnie,with not problems from frist two. i have been in contact with factory and have been assured my problems will be resolved. my wife say's this has been a real pain. i would list the problems here but it would take up too much space.
rtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the group

Two things I have learned: You *will* have problems with your new rig and Winnebago (and their vendors) *will* take good care of you.

I fully expected problems when we bought ours and saved them up for a little less than a year and then we went to Forest City for service. I think my list was about two pages long, but a lot of it was minor issues.

If you expectation is on the order of buying a new car and having maybe one or two problems (or none), then you will be (or are) an unhappy camper.

Just hang in there and work through the problems.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

rtree...
Welcome to the forum! We are glad you have joined us here. You have already found the Winnebago forum (By the way...would you like some Winnebago karma?) but you may want to head up to the "New Member Check-In" and introduce yourself.

I am sorry to hear of your problems ...hopefully everything will get worked out and you will be back to loving your Winnebago.

Again.. welcome to the forum. We hope you visit & post often.

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

rtree:

Welcome to the forum and the Winnebago Owners forum. The Vectra is a great rig and while your frustration with new coach issues is understandable, John is correct that bugs are to be expected. Hopefully, you have a good dealer that can address the issues. If not, it does seem many folks get satisfactory resolution by working with Winnebago and a visit to the factory is sometimes the trick.

Be patient and hopefully you will soon be enjoying trouble-free miles. And please make sure you come back here often to share your experiences and ask any questions.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the same experience when I purchased new.
There is No Quality Control at winnebago
Old 09-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
There is No Quality Control at winnebago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
|
The above is a pretty harsh statement with no substantiation. I too bought new and have had problems: a leaking HWH leveling jack cylinder, a bad main pump relay on my leveling system - relay made by a third company, a Parallax 7455T failure, Norcold refrigerator door hinge problem
and a Voyager rear view monitor failure. Frustrating to say the least when the problems occurred and frustrating till they were resolved. They all have been resolved satisfactorily.
|
NOTE: All the problems I experienced were with systems or components supplied to Winnebago. None were directly related to anything Winnebago manufactured. FWIW, everything worked properly during my pre-delivery inspection and demonstration. What do you want?
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have had the same problem with my 2008 Ellipse. Since I picked it up in April it has spent more time in repair than on the road. I have had problems with both Winnebego workmanship, Freightliner chassis and other components. Since Winnebego selects the chassis and component manufacturers I see them as being responsible for the reliability of all components used. I believe the 1 year warranty on something that will likely be used for several months of a year (in most cases) needs to be addressed by all RV manufacturers .
At this point in time I am totally unhappy with my purchase!
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

rtree
I can understand your frustration! As you had such good luck with your first two Winne's. I have used this attitude when I have any problems with the rig, I divide the problem up into category's. That which is made by Winnebago & that made by other vender's. At the price of fuel I fix the little things like the waterlines in the bathroom sink being hooked up backwards, the water filter leaking, the bathroom door needing a little work on the latch. I even had Winnebago send me 2 side camera's as mine were fogged up. I just expect some miner problems. I agree with you that there quality control could be better as in ALL business. The thing I am glad & most thankful for is I went with Winnebago is I don't worry about MAJOR problems like the walls falling down. I have looked at the Vector & it is built better than most. I hope things work out better for you as RVing is a great getaway. Good luck Art in Mobile.
Art in Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Admittedly, there are problems with all new RV's. Think of a new car and a new house all at the same time and expecting there not to be a punch list. It ain't gonn'a happen!

Winnebago does much better, IMHO, than most - and certainly their dealers do. I've owned products from 5 manufacturers, and Winnebago is the cream of that representative crop.

If you think you got it bad, I suggest you research some other brands (one of which I think has a great product layout, but their QA and service is appalling).

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Why should you have problems with a new winnebago??? That what you pay the big bucks for, that why you buy new. With all the problems, you all have, You can not say the quality control is good.
I went back for warrenty and they fixed half of the defects (and I ain't picky) and blamed the dealer and me for the rest.
I have been back 4 times to Forest City and I don't even want to go to Iowa.
If you want the defect list I will go dig it up, but for instance I had a water leak in the middle of the kitchen around the vent for 13 hours after it quit raining, because both air conditioners were not tightned down and the water had run everwhere under the roof. I have had 4 different water leaks. The rear side window had no caluking. The two front side windows leaked because it did not have enough caulking. If that not poor QA, what do you say, normal? I just had the front side gasket replaced because it was leaking bad, over $1000.00 for a gasket.
I have toured the factory and I worked in a factory and I say they have poor QA. They just want get'em out the door and sell'em. Fix'em later after all, these old people don't have nothing to do but visit Forest City
Old 09-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hearing these problems just reinforces my thought that if or when I upgrade, it will not be a new unit. I would prefer to buy the unit after someone else has put up with the agravation of buying a new unit with some inherant problems ands then had everything fixed. While it is also true that one might be buying someone elses "pig in a poke"(without the lipstick ) a compatent inspector would hopefully be able to find a true "Lemon" so one could stay away from the deal.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We purchased a new Vectra in 05 and had a number of problems; some major. Working with my local dealer they were corrected. More items came up and we when to Forest City. They were helpful but couldn't fix everything since I was a walk in (Make sure you have an appointment so they can alot the right amount of time for all repairs).
Prior to leaving, we spoke with a customer service rep and he assured us that everything would be corrected even if it when past our warranty expiration date. Working with the factory and my local dealer, they were all corrected.
Now three years later, my problems have been almost non exisitent.
We really enjoy our Vectra and know we made the correct choice.
SMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
There is No Quality Control at winnebago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure they do! It's the consumer... it's funny that we'll take a new, faulty $100 item back to the store in a heartbeat but then rationalize why it's okay that we have such poor quality in an RV that you paid $100k, $150k or more.

My MH has had four repairs for a water leak that centers around the shower water supply; it mainly shows up when using city pressue but can show up using the water pump pressure and leaks into the hall walkway and under the cabinets.

And before someone posts how easy that should be to repair, my response is: You would think... try telling that to my local Winnebago dealer. And the problem has gone on so long that it is now a 'customer pay' when I take it in.

The lack of quality-control and poor dealer PDI's is not just Winnebago, but a problem industry-wide. The industry has us convinced that it's normal to take delivery and 'make that repair list' and we'll see you back in a month...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

So very true.
My brand spankin' new 2008 Destination had two major problems on it's maiden voyage, and a bunch of minor problems.

The two major were hydraulic levelers not holding pressure, and slide seal coming out.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Hey rtree where'd you go? You make your first and only post on this site a negative one, get several people all fired up, then disappear.

2004 Meridian 34H
Fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Why should you have problems with a new winnebago??? That what you pay the big bucks for, that why you buy new. With all the problems, you all have, You can not say the quality control is good.
I went back for warrenty and they fixed half of the defects (and I ain't picky) and blamed the dealer and me for the rest.
If you want the defect list I will go dig it up, but for instance I had a water leak in the middle of the kitchen around the vent for 13 hours after it quit raining, because both air conditioners were not tightned down and the water had run everwhere under the roof. I have had 4 different water leaks. The rear side window had no caluking. The two front side windows leaked because it did not have enough caulking. If that not poor QA, what do you say, normal? I just had the front side gasket replaced because it was leaking bad, over $1000.00 for a gasket.
I have toured the factory and I worked in a factory and I say they have poor QA. They just want get'em out the door and sell'em. Fix'em later after all, these old people don't have nothing to do but visit Forest City </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow - I think that is reason to be unhappy- I would be furious! I purchased a new 07 Suncruiser and have had excellent results thus far - so no complaints there but.....the reason I bought a Winnebago coach was because of what I saw on National Geographic. They showed every step of how a coach is made and the quality control that goes into them. That quality included a rain test - so how in the world would they or could they miss some of those problems.

We do not have to expect problems as part of the deal - as a matter of fact those that settle for "normal problems" are part of the problem. Mediocrity cannot become a pattern of success, even if your Winnebago.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocket Heart:
I have toured the factory and I worked in a factory and I say they have poor QA. They just want get'em out the door and sell'em. Fix'em later after all, these old people don't have nothing to do but visit Forest City </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow - I think that is reason to be unhappy- I would be furious! I purchased a new 07 Suncruiser and have had excellent results thus far - so no complaints there but.....the reason I bought a Winnebago coach was because of what I saw on National Geographic. They showed every step of how a coach is made and the quality control that goes into them. That quality included a rain test - so how in the world would they or could they miss some of those problems.

We do not have to expect problems as part of the deal - as a matter of fact those that settle for "normal problems" are part of the problem. Mediocrity cannot become a pattern of success, even if you're Winnebago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Our first RV was a new Fleetwood Flair (1999); over 27 problems at pick-up. After 6 trips to the dealer (Lazy Days) we gave up and said we'd never buy another new RV.

Well, we just bought an 08 Itasca Sunova 30B, and have had to take it to a Ford dealer 4 times to try to stop it from shaking. Over 60 hours of our time wasted on that one issue, which any test drive would have noticed.

Now we're up to about 18 problems, and I just repair the manufacturing errors myself because it costs too much and takes too long to go to dim-witted dealers.

That said, the Itasca/Winnie quality is better than Fleetwood based on these 2 RV's. We like the Itasca, but it is obvious that Winnie does not take quality control seriously. When a manufacturer is interested in improving quality, they actively ask customers about the defects so they won't be relicated over adn over again. i was a manufacturer, quality control requires effort but it actually lowers cost in the long run.
John
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

In all fairness . . .

Do some research on Lazy Days' customer service ratings. I don't recall that they come out as one of the more stellar in caring after the sale. Of course, I realize it's a marketing thing - but in MY perfect world, as a manufacturer, if you want to make a profit by selling my product you WILL stand behind it - or else. Motel franchises get jerked all the time - why not RV franchises.

After I spend a ton of loot (and that's relative - we spend what we can afford, whether it be $10K or $2M) on a product, I think I should be afforded a fair expectation that it will work as adverstised - or be fixed so it does. Having been in engneering design / customer service for my entire life, I fully understand that there are customers who CAN NOT be made happy . . . period.

If you took it back to Ford 4 times, that sounds like a Ford problem - not Winnebago. A shaking chassis is not something tha might have been logically identified during the plant process - only after driving it. However, Workhorse should have never released it to Winnebago, IMHO.

Jst another of my rants . . ..

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote