Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New Owner, Used 1996 34RQ

Well, I bought a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ 60K miles Ford 460efi. It is running and driving great. Banks intake, headers, exhaust, and transmission module. Ride Right Air bags all around, a reverse osmosis(sp) system, and updated toilet seem to be the mods the previous owers did along with rebuilding the Transmission 25K miles ago. Out the door it was $12500, don't know if it is good but it is better then the $16K they wanted.

I have a list of stuff to do to get it ready to go but the biggest things on my list is flushing the cooling system, changing oil/filter for both engines (Mobile 1 synthetic?), and new filters for the Reverse Osmosis System. So has anyone been through this and have any suggestions that will make my life easier.

Also I have noticed a lot of corrosion under the dash on wiring connections, pedals, and jack controls (condensation from the windows I assume). I am guessing I will be pulling a lot of plugs and cleaning connections and putting dielectric grease on them. What are common problem areas for the electrical system on these units? I already cut the shore power cord and replace the plug because it shorted first time I plugged it in and tripped the GFI in the bathroom.

Any advice from someone that has been in my shoes already would help.

Thanks
MajorSpittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

MajorSpittle,
Congrats on the purchase of your new rig. I really can't help much on the electrical stuff other than, do what you're planning on doing and that's just, take your time, look around for troubled connections/areas and, clean and lube what you can. The 460 is a great engine. It's very strong and dependable. I've owned two of them. Not a problem with either one. I installed the commercial, 2-quart filter on both.

I ran Royal Purple for oil and, while it could be my imagination, I'm pretty sure I got better mileage after that. Just check out all the lighting, (both inside and out) for corroded contacts, headlight bulb plugs and more. Hope you get lots of miles and use out of it. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

As stated a very dependable engine. Make sure you look and all belts and hoses and make sure your tires are in good condition. Code date should be 7 years or less. Once you have everything you want done do a driveway campout to make sure that everything is working without leaving home.

And most of all get out and enjoy yourself.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

MajorSpittle, check for windshield leaks when it rains. That could account for the corrosion that you see. Windshield leaks have been a complaint by a few Winnebago owners including me.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi Major We have a '96 34' Winnie RQ.With slide ,on the Ford f53, no big problems, we love the floor plan. Only one problem the windshield leaks at the center strip. The 460 runs great, around 7 mpg, had leaking right exhaust manifold, had manifold machined and I reinstalled no more leak.
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I used Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape along the top of the rubber windshield moulding to keep it pressed tightly against the fiberglass cap to seal my windshield from water leaks. Since the tape is black and rubbery, it is not easily noticeable if noticed at all. I also found a small hole in the sealant around the front center am/fm rubber duck antenna on the roof that was causing the leak down the center strip of the windshield.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the responses. So the first thing I found was a short in the shore power plug (fixed). I had the slide out open and pulled the light fixtures down to see about upgrading to LED lights, it rained hard overnight and found water running out of the light fixture opening. Cleaned up the water and and sealed all around the slide out roof seam seam except the long seam that is under the canopy (will do later). Luckily I caught the leak before any damage was done.

So I am wondering how often you guys do engine oil changes. I will typically only put about 3K miles a season on the coach so I am wondering if I use Mobile 1 synthetic if I could get away with only changing oil every other year or if I should just use cheap oil and change every season?

Also, I am paraniod about what I need to do if the power to the slide ever failed? How do you retract it without power? Haven't found that anywhere. Thanks for all the help guys.
MajorSpittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm a seasonal oil changer. I too never put many miles on per year, so
i go with less $$ oil at the end of each season. Basically, it's based on "time" and not mileage.
You should have a rachette type device under you couch (that's where I found mine) with web strapping attached. On mine, below the sink counter, at floor level, you can see an opening in the cabinet kick plate. There's a metal "O" ring bolted through the floor. That's one connection point. The other is in the slide, under the couch. With the rachetting strap connected between these two points and the "T" handles on the two HWH solenoids cracked open, you should be able to manually crank the slide in.
All this instruction is based on MY coach. While I'm sure you'll find your instruction will be same/similar it is best to call Winnebago directly and ask them to mail/email the specific instructions for your coach.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Although every other year for an oil change is probably OK, I am inclined to change it every year. There isn't that much difference in cost between Mobil 1 and any other oil now.

I wouldn't open up any electrical plug/socket connections unless there is a problem, it often does create a problem.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

MajorSpittle
Like others we no longer put on many miles a season but I make sure to change the oil once a year. I'd like to say I do it in the fall so all the crap doen't sit all winter but inevitably I don't get around to it till the spring. Like others I love the 460 with the banks package. Even with the tag axle and the extra few feet she rolls down the 4 lane with ease and with the overdrive off has no trouble climbing anything we've thrown at it!
We've been lucky with no windshield leaks (that I've found) but I'll suggest you have a good look at the roof and repair/replace any questionable caulking. I've had a stubborn leak at the 'superfan' that's been "fixed" twice and is good for a year or so before it leaks again!
Lt 46 has the info for you regarding the manual slide process. We've had to do it only once several years ago. It's quite the process and a tough crank but it did pull the slide in. The toughest part was opening the 'T' handles on the HWH solenoids. That and calming the DW who thought we were going to be stranded in the woods of Quebec with our slide hanging out.
My only other suggestion is to keep an eye on the hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir in the right rear of the rig. Although I swear I've never seen a leak or even a wet spot I end up adding fluid every year. Although the jack springs are weakening and the jack retraction not what it used to be I'm never in that big a hurry to get home anyway!
Wishing you many happy years with your 'new to you' rig. All in all we've been very pleased with ours and have shared many happy memories with friends and family!