Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

new owner ?

Greetings,

My wife and I just returned from a short shake-down trip with our (new to us) 2015 Itasca Sunoval 33C. I actually only came up with two questions that perhaps somebody may be able to assist me with.

1. We have two roof heat pumps. When I turned one on this morning to break the chill I observed that the furnace came on in addition to the heat pump. I don't think that this is correct? I had the controller clearly set in "electric heat" mode.

2. The same controller appears to be at least 7 degrees out of set (independent thermometer reads 70, controller reads 77). Is there anything I can do to recalibrate or given both problems does it sound like a defective controller?

Thanks for your help,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

If the temperature difference is more than 3 or 4 degerrs the furnace will also come on in electric heat mode. It is working as designed. Ours does the same thing. Dont know how to calibrate a thermostat that is "off"
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Greetings,

My wife and I just returned from a short shake-down trip with our (new to us) 2015 Itasca Sunoval 33C. I actually only came up with two questions that perhaps somebody may be able to assist me with.

1. We have two roof heat pumps. When I turned one on this morning to break the chill I observed that the furnace came on in addition to the heat pump. I don't think that this is correct? I had the controller clearly set in "electric heat" mode.

2. The same controller appears to be at least 7 degrees out of set (independent thermometer reads 70, controller reads 77). Is there anything I can do to recalibrate or given both problems does it sound like a defective controller?

Thanks for your help,

Dave
Your Heat Pump is working correctly...when there is a difference of about 5 degrees in the room temp and what you set the thermostat at... the furnace will come on...the thought is the furnace will get the room up quicker and at that point ~5 degrees difference the furnace will shut off and the heat pump will continue until the set temp is reached....
For example the inside temp is 60 and you want it to be 70....the furnace and heat pump will come on until ~65 and then the furnace will shut off and the heat pump will continue...if you set the thermostat at 65 just the heat pump will come on...when it gets close to 65 you can increase the thermostat another 5 degrees...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

On Coleman heat pumps, if there is more than a 3 degree difference in ambient room temp and the set temp, the furnaces will come on in addition to the heat pump to assist in getting the room to temp faster. After that first warm up, only the heat pump comes on. Heat pumps are only effective down to about 40 degrees outside temp, then the furnace needs to be used. Sounds like it is working correctly.

I can't answer your second question. Sorry.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the fast answers, I feel better about it now.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Do you have two thermostats, one for each heat pump? I ask because on our 2014 Sunova 33C we do different settings on each can easily cause uneven behavior. Unless specifically needed such as at night or very hot ambient temps, we leave the bedroom one off.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The thermostat temperature difference might be explained by where it is located. In our Forza 33T, it is with all of the electronic controls and is typically 3-5 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature in the room. You can check it with another thermometer placed or hung near it. Also remember that thermostats tend to overshoot meaning that if you set it to 72 the heat will run to about 75.

Have fun with your (new to you) MH!
Old 06-18-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes the thermostat is in the hall way by control panel. I will do as you suggest and place anot her thermostat nearby to determine how far off.