Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New Navion16 concerns. Pic included.

I'm finally ready to finalize a purchase of a new 16 Navion but noticed in the pics sent to me that there is a 4" wide swath of white "paint" on the right side of the LP Generator.

Has anyone ever seen something like this on a new coach? The dealer is not getting back with me about what it is and my worst fear is that its been in an accident and was repainted carelessly.

Thank you for any input on this problem. I was very excited about the terms of the sale but am getting cold feet now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Navion 16 LP Gen.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	104237

Name:	Navion 16 LP Gen2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	104238
Beginners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:

That does seem odd...sure worth due diligence.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
:welcome:

That does seem odd...sure worth due diligence.

Best luck
I thought it was odd too. Especially after the salesman tried to convince me that the coach had a diesel generator by sending me these pictures!!!

I get it that sales people are not always the most knowlegable about the many coaches on their lot.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginners View Post
I thought it was odd too. Especially after the salesman tried to convince me that the coach had a diesel generator by sending me these pictures!!!

I get it that sales people are not always the most knowlegable about the many coaches on their lot.
Salesman was mistaken...it's a Diesel Sprinter chassis, but the propane gennie (OEM standard). That is not uncommon in smaller Diesel RV's (lighter weight, less expensive to acquire, and very low maint for the owner 'cuz LP burns so cleanly). Plus, the optional Diesel gennie is lower Wattage (3200 vs. 3600).
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...specifications

But the paint overspray is tattle-tale of a body repair.

If there was a flat, it could have damaged the wheelwell skin requiring repair. Just guessing, but worth hard discussion because the reason for the repair needs to be known (at least I would want to know) to explore any other issues.

Best luck.
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

New Navion16 concerns. Pic included.

Agree with over spray don't understand why someone did not do something about it. Sign of poor workmanship. I take it this coach is not close by. What city is it in? Maybe you could find someone to go take a look at it. Talk to the shop manger an see what he knows about it.

Sent from my iPhone
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2013 Jeep Wangler
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Without personally inspecting the RV, I'd not jump to hasty conclusions. We see white overspray on the leading edge of the genny box. How & why may never be explained. Paint overspray maybe just paint overspray absent other 'clues.'

Taking a WAG.... Since the RV's base color is silver and the only white is in the trim, its possible the overspray occured when the generator was not in the RV. If the Navion is like my '14 View, there is nothing between the duals and the genny except a rubber flap. Nothing to paint there.

Could be the original genny had an issue and a replacement was installed.

I'd not let a little overspray in a hidden area stop me. Have ghem clean it off.... Do a pre-delivery inspection. Buy and enjoy!
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

That piece of green masking tape indicates that an inspector marked it to be fixed but no one did.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
That piece of green masking tape indicates that an inspector marked it to be fixed but no one did.
Don't know about inspector marking...but the tape looks like a match to some of this mighty expensive 3M painter's tape:
http://m.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/...t=rud&MDR=true

And, the "etching primer" (used in prep to paint over a painted surfaces) was probably the white, then the silver was applied.

It might be nothing...but is worth knowing.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you to all that replied. Each of you gave me some idea to pursue or just a possible explanation.

Unfortunately the response I got today from the salesman did nothing to assuage my fears. He told me that he sees the over-spray but doesn't know
how it happened but he's sure it didn't happen there! When I pressed him for info on the inspection they did when it arrived to the dealership he told me that "honestly we just do a very basic visual if we do one at all" WTH??? Is this typical??

At this point I'm ready to pull the deal and ask for my deposit back.

Is it typical to hire a professional inspector for a brand new RV?

I have a call into the service manager and to Winnebego to see if they have any info.

These guys have really lost my trust in them.

Again thanks for the great input and ideas!

Here is a closer pic sent to me today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Navion 16 LP Gen3.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	104578