Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I called HWH first thing this morning. It's 4:10 pm EST and I'm still waiting on a call back from Frank (tech guy). I hope to hear something today.

I read another post about slow retracting jacks where the owner elected to purchase rebuilt jacks from HWH. I know each jack is different but he posted the rebuilt jacks cost him $95 each plus shipping. He stated a new jack was around $200. Now I'm just talking about the jack itself, not the springs, solenoid or case mount...just the hydraulic jack. Does this seem like accurate information to you?

Thanks.
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Heard back from Joe at HWH. Will be $228 + shipping for 2 new jacks if I mail them my old ones. That's $500 and some change. That is nuts for just 2 jacks. Plus it will be 8+ weeks before they would arrive.

I think for now I will use some blocks under the front jacks so extending them will be minimal. I'll continue applying a little pressure to finish the retraction for now. Maybe Santa will bring me some new jacks this year.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedowney View Post
Heard back from Joe at HWH. Will be $228 + shipping for 2 new jacks if I mail them my old ones. That's $500 and some change. That is nuts for just 2 jacks. Plus it will be 8+ weeks before they would arrive.

I think for now I will use some blocks under the front jacks so extending them will be minimal. I'll continue applying a little pressure to finish the retraction for now. Maybe Santa will bring me some new jacks this year.
I sent HWH one of my jacks to rebuild last November. It cost me $115.54 (plus $22.50 for shipping to them). They sent it back to me in less than a week. That $228 sounds like the price to rebuild both jacks.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I sent HWH one of my jacks to rebuild last November. It cost me $115.54 (plus $22.50 for shipping to them). They sent it back to me in less than a week. That $228 sounds like the price to rebuild both jacks.
No, that price was for 2 new jacks with the exchange of my current ones. He said HWH could not offer to rebuild the ones I currently have. I didn't really understand why. I think I'll call Joe back and ask him for better clarification. If I could have them both rebuilt for the price you paid, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I will let you know what Joe tell me.

Thanks for the prices and info.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Sticking jacks

I have a 2006 Meridian with the same problem you have. I have found that if I spray a clean lint free cloth with WD40 and wipe the jacks down prior to raising them they do not stick. I have been doing this for 3 yrs now, after having the dealer replace the springs and everything else, and have had no further problems.
ricwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwally View Post
I have a 2006 Meridian with the same problem you have. I have found that if I spray a clean lint free cloth with WD40 and wipe the jacks down prior to raising them they do not stick. I have been doing this for 3 yrs now, after having the dealer replace the springs and everything else, and have had no further problems.
Thanks ricwally for the tip but I've tried WD-40, silicone, vaseline, liquid wrench and I've even tried washing them with soap and water over the past year. The jacks are nearly 10 years old and must have some seals that are twisted up inside the jack itself. Without some upward assistance on my part, they just won't retract.

My last hope it my call into Joe at HWH. A previous user said he got his jacks rebuilt last Nov for around $115. I hope I have this same option. Not sure why HWH would want my old jacks back if they can't be rebuilt. I am waiting on a call back from Joe to let me know if this is an option I have.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

leedowney

Have you tried this site yet rvleveling.com. Give Chuck a call there he is one of the owners and might be able to rebuild the jacks for you. I too have an issue and plan on getting over to his place in August. I've had some selonoid problems along with on going jack problem that he's going to take a look at. I purchased rebuilt selonoids from him so I think he would also do jacks.
I was refered to them actually by HWH. They are a service center.
steve
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
leedowney

Have you tried this site yet rvleveling.com. Give Chuck a call there he is one of the owners and might be able to rebuild the jacks for you. I too have an issue and plan on getting over to his place in August. I've had some selonoid problems along with on going jack problem that he's going to take a look at. I purchased rebuilt selonoids from him so I think he would also do jacks.
I was refered to them actually by HWH. They are a service center.
steve
Thank you Steve. I just sent Chuck an email with pictures and a full description of my problem. I hope they can help. I never heard back from HWH today about why they want my old jacks back to rebuild but won't offer to rebuild them for me. Maybe I'll hear something tomorrow.

Thank you again for the contact. I hope they can help.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

First of all I would venture to guess it was my post you read about rebuilt jacks costing $95.00 and new ones costing $200.00. Keep in mind that was several years ago.

As for the price you were currently quoted, I'd say that's more than reasonable. It's $228.00 plus shipping and 2 useless jacks in exchange. I bought some similar sized cylinders for an end loader recently and depending on the quality I wanted the prices ranged from $179.00 ea (plus exchange) to $329.00 ea.

The reason they aren't offering rebuilts is probably the ones that are returned aren't rebuildable. In the scheme of things usually less than 30% of the jacks returned are in good enough shape to rebuild. Often times when they come in they go straight to the trash. Others may make it as far as to the disassembly process before they're determined to be trash.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Hey Steve. I just got a call from Chuck. Seems like no one is offering to rebuild anything. Chuck said he has 2 already rebuilt jacks in my model number he can sell me for $233 each. I told him HWH has new ones for $228 with warranty. I wish his price would have been closer to $150 for rebuilt jacks. I can't see paying more for rebuilt jacks when you can get new ones for less.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. For now, I'll just deal with the sticking front jacks.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about that Lee. I would think he would have sold the rebuilds for less then that. Business must be real good. I'm still going to have to go and se him as not only do I have the front driver jack problem but I forgot about the rear passenger that is weaping. Must have been a senior moment. Oh well it's only money, RIGHT????? It still is interesting to keep in touch with all the HWH problems on the forum. You do get a schooling of different problems and possible fixes. LOL
Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Hey Lee, I should have asked you which one did he have two of the long one or the short one??? Any reasoning behind why you have two different jacks on the moho anyway??
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Lee,
You could have a bad check valve. Take a look at this. Remove the check valve and make sure it moves freely.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Lee,
In brousing around I also found this information which might be of more help.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Hey Lee, I should have asked you which one did he have two of the long one or the short one??? Any reasoning behind why you have two different jacks on the moho anyway??
Hey Steve. He had two of the short ones. Those are the ones that actually belong on the coach. The previous owner must have got a deal or really needed the jack in stock to put that one on the coach. It's stroke is 3" longer that the other. I never fully extend the jacks anyway so it's never been a problem.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Lee,
You could have a bad check valve. Take a look at this. Remove the check valve and make sure it moves freely.
Thanks RJ but my cylinders are single action not double. In other words, hydraulic fluid is used to extend the cylinders not retract them. I wish they were double action though. When you hit the "store" button or the up button, it just simply uses the solenoid to open the valve and let the springs push the hydraulic fluid back into the holding tank.