Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New floor now slideout woes!!!

Some time ago I initiated a discussion on flooring changes, well i finally replaced the battered carpet with cork flooring(laminate style planking) it really looks good, fresh and clean. Delighted with the results I cleaned up retracted the slides only to find that the main slide will not fully retract by one and a half inches at the top leading edge the trailing edge closes fully. There is no obvious binding and no floor damage and the cork height is the same as the tiles in the rest of the area.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a fix? Please say there is because I would hate to be forced to rip out my lovely new floor.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

could a piece of the old flooring dropped behind slideout?
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
did you make a slope on the last piece of material so the slide comes up easy?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
did you make a slope on the last piece of material so the slide comes up easy?
Ernie I made sure that the slide cleared the new floor as it lifted and came in and there is no binding. It was only when I looked at the exterior that I realized it wasn't seating properly. This end of the slide has always been "tight"
Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
could a piece of the old flooring dropped behind slideout?
Dave I looked for debris before and after and none was evident. I will check one more time.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Took a better look under the slide out. Looks like the nylon runners on the mechanism nearest the front of the coach are worn and cracked allowing the leading edge to sag slightly which I think is what's causing my problem. At the first opportunity I will spend some time on it to see I can easily replace the nylon blocks.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchin View Post
Some time ago I initiated a discussion on flooring changes, well i finally replaced the battered carpet with cork flooring(laminate style planking) it really looks good, fresh and clean. Delighted with the results I cleaned up retracted the slides only to find that the main slide will not fully retract by one and a half inches at the top leading edge the trailing edge closes fully. There is no obvious binding and no floor damage and the cork height is the same as the tiles in the rest of the area.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a fix? Please say there is because I would hate to be forced to rip out my lovely new floor.
Hi Hitchin
A coach with carpet from the factory has a shoe under the edge that slides on the carpet. A non carpeted coach has rollers or a different shoe that would slide well on the new floor. Your slide out hight adjustment is off now due to the different flooring. How far did you replace the flooring under the slide out?
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
get a piece of LVT plank. Put that under the area that is sagged and retract the slide. See if this may allow your slide to come in.
You may have to stand on that piece to make the slide move on it.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Hi Hitchin
A coach with carpet from the factory has a shoe under the edge that slides on the carpet. A non carpeted coach has rollers or a different shoe that would slide well on the new floor. Your slide out hight adjustment is off now due to the different flooring. How far did you replace the flooring under the slide out?
Jesse
Hi JBmsr. I was careful not to take the new floor too near the edge of the slideout and checked it for clearance during installation. The slide lifts, retracts and finally the back edge lifts into position to bring the top of the slide tight to the exterior wall. This slide does not have rollers and rides on the factory fitted nylon blocks(subsequently found damaged by use). The more enquiries I make confirms that the damaged blocks are the cause of the problem.
I appreciate your response and am truly envious of you with such a great coach!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
get a piece of LVT plank. Put that under the area that is sagged and retract the slide. See if this may allow your slide to come in.
You may have to stand on that piece to make the slide move on it.
Hi Ernie, the damaged nylon blocks seem to be the problem, they create a fulcrum that allows the slideout to rock forward on the final close position and finish tight to coach wall. There is nothing on the interior leading edge that has contact with the floor to create the problem. The new edge of the "solId" floor may be unforgiving enough to stop the final rock forward which is further confirmation that the nylon blocks are worn. The old carpet was thin enough to compress to compensate for the wear so I did not identify a problem until the replacement floor was installed. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchin View Post
Hi JBmsr. I was careful not to take the new floor too near the edge of the slideout and checked it for clearance during installation. The slide lifts, retracts and finally the back edge lifts into position to bring the top of the slide tight to the exterior wall. This slide does not have rollers and rides on the factory fitted nylon blocks(subsequently found damaged by use). The more enquiries I make confirms that the damaged blocks are the cause of the problem.
I appreciate your response and am truly envious of you with such a great coach!
Hi Hutchin
If I can help any in the future just let me know. Slide outs can be difficult. My wife and I are on our third coach and I remember when we looked at the 40AD and just wanted it so bad but couldn't make it work it the time. We love your floor plan.

Thanks
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout