Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

New dash cover!

Some time back I posted a thread regarding asking where to buy a dash cover for my Winnebago/Itasca Sightseer/Sunova motorhome. I ultimately went with what I would call a custom dash cover from Dorothy @ Blondies Pit Stop and am I ever happy! (Actually, I ordered one for my Workhorse chassis and one for my father-in-law's Ford chassis.)

Dorothy went out of her way to make the dash cover to my satisfaction, including doing custom work for the best fit and to suit my needs. For example, I wanted a 'waterfall' to extend and fall over part of the passenger side of the dash since my teenager always puts his feet up there and Dorothy made it exactly as requested. Also important to me was actual defroster cut-outs; other companies I contacted don't offer that feature and told me to use a razor blade and cut slits into the fabric. Not Dorothy! This dash cover has the proper defroster cut-outs along with reinforced stitching or binding around the cut-outs.

I know that Dorothy has a lot of different dash cover patterns for many different brands and model years, so anyone who wants to protect those dashes or hide a little damage should contact her for specifics.

Dorothy Weigman
c/o Blondies Pit Stop
[email protected]
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Pics????
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds great, I will have to check them out.
jfleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Pics????
I originally thought about posting a picture but not sure how soon I'll be over to the motorhome, which is in storage. Here is a picture to show the quality and the defroster vent cut-outs, which was important to me. The unseen side is the front of the dash that fits over the gauge pod and the balance of the dash, including the extended-length waterfall.

Would be a better representation if installed on my motorhome though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140808_193215_868.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	70302  
Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

No web site?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

New Dash Cover with Added Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
No web site?
Wasn't sure if it was okay to post the address so I didn't post initially. I will now, so if it's not permissible, I'm sure a moderator will remove it.

Blondie's Pit Stop: Motorhome Dash Covers and direct your questions to Dorothy.

Here's a couple of more pictures laying on the dash; the fabric needs a little time to 'relax' from the shipping process and it does come with velcro strips for the finishing touch, which I haven't done yet. Second picture shows the 'waterfall' I had done to go over the dash edge, as my teenager likes to put his (shoeless) feet up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140810_120806_233.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	70459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140810_120912_691.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	70460  

Old 08-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It does not seem to lay down flat - is it new and just needs to settle in? I need one for my rig.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Wasn't sure if it was okay to post the address so I didn't post initially. I will now, so if it's not permissible, I'm sure a moderator will remove it.

Blondie's Pit Stop: Motorhome Dash Covers and direct your questions to Dorothy.

Here's a couple of more pictures laying on the dash; the fabric needs a little time to 'relax' from the shipping process and it does come with velcro strips for the finishing touch, which I haven't done yet. Second picture shows the 'waterfall' I had done to go over the dash edge, as my teenager likes to put his (shoeless) feet up there.
What does something like that cost? How long did it take her to make?
TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
It does not seem to lay down flat - is it new and just needs to settle in? I need one for my rig.
That was going to be my comment too. Has it settled some? Or is it still like that? By the way, not sure if I missed it or not but, may I ask a price?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ive been working with www.coversbyjosie.com for mine.just need to get off my butt and send her the pattern back
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I like it. I will likely make my own for the dogs, will be much better than the vinyl upholstery up there. I don't have a serger but I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine and can apply an edge binding.

If/when I get off my butt to do it I'll post up.

That kind of fabric needs some heat cycles to loosen the fibers and relax to lay flat. It does have some rigidity to it which is better so it's not just draping and floppy like thin fabric. It's more like light duty carpet.

I don't generally like them in cars, and they don't prevent heat build up but do help some with heat radiation, and do prevent UV damage and fading which isn't really so much of a problem on a car dash, and besides 303 will do the same thing. But for the RV's most of them have quite an expanse of dash so I think it's a great idea.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
That was going to be my comment too. Has it settled some? Or is it still like that? By the way, not sure if I missed it or not but, may I ask a price? Scott
When it was shipped, the dash cover was rolled pretty tight so it's going to take awhile for the fabric to relax. Need some hot weather here! Also, I have not installed the Velcro that came with the cover until the fabric relaxes, and may not use it even then, but it is provided.

Prices vary, but I think started at $240 each for my model and that I was ordering two. Single orders might be a little more. The thing I liked best about the dash covers from Blondie's Pit Stop was that the defroster vents are cut out and the edges are reinforced. When I inquired about the defroster vents from Josie's and two other companies I found online, I was told to cut the fabric with a razor blade to make the vent cut-outs. Not sure that I could cut that many vents cleanly and then they would't be reinforced anyway. Also, they will 'customize' the dash cover. For mine, I added a short waterfall to the passenger side so it would come all the way over where my son puts his feet up there. He shouldn't, but anyone with a teenager will understand that it's just easier to install a dash cover with the waterfall. Also, all the pre-order work for her dash covers are done by Dorothy. I didn't need to do any pattern work for her or send back anything. She does all the leg-work regarding proper fitment.

Feel free to send Dorothy an email with any questions regarding your specific model motorhome dash and custom work you might want done. She sure was patient with me in getting my two covers done for two different chassis, with a lot of emails back and forth to make sure I got exactly what I wanted. Overall, both my father-in-law and I feel that we got very nice dash covers at a very fair price.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

We bought our dash cover from Dorothy about 6 months ago. She did an excellent job fitting our Bounder dash. Here's a previous thread about the custom covers... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/motor...ly-195954.html

We paid $239 for our cover, free shipping and no tax.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We bought our dash cover from Dorothy about 6 months ago. She did an excellent job fitting our Bounder dash. Here's a previous thread about the custom covers... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/motor...ly-195954.html

We paid $239 for our cover, free shipping and no tax.

This looks fantastic. Exactly what I'm looking for so my dog can use the dash while we're parked.

Tags
dash