Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Good idea Scooter. I got the McCuff, have had limited success with this as it sometimes does not fit. Just the other day, out for a short stay-vacation, had to stand and hold the fuel nozzle....cause it was not fitting for the entire fueling time. Still frustrating.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

About an hour ago I was at the RV, pondering this dilemma and opened up the compartment which holds the generator and the fuel filler access.

There now appears to be more access to the gas cap. Maybe that is the solution (or part of the solution) to this dilemma. Wish I was in CA now so I could try this out.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Scooter...good luck with that. My filler is just in back of the rear dual and behind the metal mud flap and just to the left of the electric compartment, which is a sealed in a hard plastic containment box. I can see the fuel pipe turn away from the filler and head towards the fuel tank. Just about had to be lay on your back to see and the mud flap would be in the way of any work. But I might be able to have some work done to it. Not being a car/RV body and fender guy I really am out of my league.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Don99 and Stevegd007:

I had a local auto body person move the filler line closer to the door flap. He built up the gap using 1/2 inch fiberglass coated plywood, 2 each, cut in a horseshoe shape to bring it nearer to the door and more vertical.

No fiberglass or aluminum frame alterations needed.

Have not yet tried to fill the tank in CA or here in OR.

The gas filler line to the tank was not extended and the tech said he did not alter the angles or bends. I did not note the position of the filler line before. I should have but did not think of it.

Is it possible for you (or someone with a 2004 Sightseer 27C) to take a picture of how the gas line takes off behind the gas cap and runs to the tank? I would like to compare. (I'm too dumb to take a picture and upload for you to see)

Hopefully.......
Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #45
Winnie-Wise

Well I will give it a look see. See if I can even get into a twisted position to even see up under the coach. If I can get a picture, I can get a copy posted here. Let you know.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Ok...got out to the RV (is is really easy as it just outside in my side yard). Had to lay on my back, skinny under the RV enough to see the fuel pipe, avoid the exhaust pipe and shoot a picture. Can not really show the entire pipe as it turns like 3 or 4 times before in enters the fuel tank. Got the inside view of the filler, first 2 pipe turns. One shot is closer to the inside filler, the other one is back a little bit showing more of the pipe. Hopefully this is kind of what your looking for:

PS: still having issues with filling at CA gas stations.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Underside of fuel filler  pipe [640x480].JPG
Views:	179
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	5446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underside of fuel pipe longer view [640x480].JPG
Views:	195
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	5447  

Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for your pics. I appreciate your efforts.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #48
Winnebago Owner

All,

I see a serious fueling mishap on the horizon. I'm sure it wasn't cheap for Ca. do start this program....so there is money to fix it.

Drew
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

A SUCCESSFUL FUELING TRIP IN CALIFORNIA....is what I can now report.

The auto body guy who did our fix....did it right.

I can't post a pic, but take a look at Don99's post and picture on 1/15/10 and visualize the filler cap coming up and out and more vertical. There is now no room between the filler cap and flap. There was a space before.

I did not need the McCuff, oil can spout adapter or the thin aluminum clip that others have mentioned.

I went to Shell, Chevron and 76. They each have their own manufacturer of CVA nozzles......but they all fit with no problem.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Scooter - Glad to hear that your fix worked. Not sure how I could change my filll tube angle without bending or extending the fill tube since it is just plain tubing with a horizontal end, not flexible. I'd need an extension to the tube to change the angle to vertical. Wish you had before and after pics of your fix.

Stevegd007 - Sorry to hear my fix doesn't work for you.

puttin - California didn't pay for the new pump handles, the gas stations did, as required by a rule change, and they weren't happy about it. Some may still not have changed, but I haven't see an old style pump handle in a while.

We've been in Canada all summer and just got back to CA and had to break out the old oil can spout to get gas here. No problems in OR, WA and BC.
Don99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #51
Winnie-Wise

I am on the road moving around and on my trip north through California I had to use a small roll of electric tape to get gas. I put the roll into the end of the gas fuel nozzle and it holds up the rubber sleeve just enough to allow the nozzle to work. The McCuff I got is just too big to fit right. I found an oil spout filler, but that is at the wrong angle to fit, too curved, got to get something to bend it some what straight, without damaging it. Anyway without these aids fueling the RV would be a pain in the but*.

One would think Winnebago would issue a recall for a safety fix for this issue. From the response here more than just a few RV'ers have this problem. Would not take much for the fuel nozzle to pop out and spill fuel while doing this Micky Mouse fueling operation. Then I would not be surprised to hear other States and RV'ers there reporting the same thing. Reason: it seems the California Air Pollution regulations soon migrate elsewhere.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #52
Winnebago Owner

I'm with the others--left CA a year and a half ago and there's no reason to go back!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #53
Winnie-Wise

We are carrying the McCuff and oil can spout when and if we should go to California. We like state parks, but most all of California's have closed due to budget cuts, according to the news. Arizona was going to close almost all of our State Parks, but about half of them are still open. If they can collect enough in camping fees to cover park maintenance, etc they stay open. This means that the parks that are left get crowded and sometimes we have had to stay in a "waiting area" for one night before being assigned a site. Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #54
Winnebago Owner

SCOOTER: This is off subject: How are you coming along after your shoulder replacement?
I was scheduled for rotator cuff repair, went to different doctor, new x-rays and bingo. The doctor said shoulder replacement was in my VERY NEAR future.
Any details, now that the fueling situation has been put to rest, would be appreciated. You are the first to post about a shoulder replacement.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

Kerry:

Could not figure out how to PM you but tomorrow I can detail my shoulder job on this thread.

Only problem I see is a threadjack about someone replacing a Pitman arm
Old 10-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #56

Scooter... Click on two-niner's name, click 'contact info', then 'send a private message...'.

Dont know why the mods dont have that more available.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #57
Winnebago Owner

Kerry: Tried to PM you but......you have to enable a PM to be sent to you.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #58
Winnebago Camper

azloafer - Don't believe all the reports of CA parks being closed. Some may have, but none that I have seen yet, and I still live here. Last time I was in AZ most of the rest stops were closed and I haven't seen that here either.
Don99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #59
Winnebago Owner

two-niner:

Last call. Enable a PM on your account if you want shoulder replacement info.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #60
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don99 View Post
azloafer - Don't believe all the reports of CA parks being closed. Some may have, but none that I have seen yet, and I still live here. Last time I was in AZ most of the rest stops were closed and I haven't seen that here either.
"Stuart Waldman, President, Valley Industry and Commerce Association Press Release, Sept. 22, 2010
Three decades of underfunding our state parks now directly threatens the viability of our parks. State parks now face more than a $1.3 billion backlog of basic maintenance and needed repairs. As a result, we see everything from closures, unclean restrooms, closed campgrounds, and overgrown trails and to buildings verging on collapse."

How did the vote go in regards to an additional CA tax to keep parks open?

We lost all but 9 state parks due to budget cuts. People that used the parks now closed are searching for camping spots in the nine parks still open. The park that we used regularly has stayed open, but now it is getting hard to get into if we do not check in mid-week. No reservations in our parks. With DW still working this makes it difficult. The private campgrounds in the lower part of the state, where we live, are like large asphalt parking lots. If you want trees or anything green, you need to use the state parks. It is hard to convince the voting public that increasing taxes to keep parks open is necessary. We have state and county employees taking one day off per month without pay to help with budgeting. We pay $25.00 a night for a state park site with water and electric. What are CA fees? Joe