Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

New Basement AC (R-410A)

Tom Johnson CC, Marion NC, installed my new AC. Old AC was beyond economical repair. Here are some Amp readings (Outside temp was ~74*):

1 Compressor + Fridge on AC......... 18 Amps
2 Compressors, nothing else.......... 26 Amps
2 Compressors + Fridge on AC........ 29 Amps
2 Compressors + Fridge on AC + Overhead Ceiling Lites....... 30 Amps

The inside & outside blower wheels are plastic. The blower wheels came with Oiled Bearings (1 RVP Tech said oil annually, the other said every four years).

(I was going to insert photos here, but my newly uploaded photos have disappeared. Irritating).

Since I already had two Sealed Bearings (my upgrade plans on old AC), I paid the labor to have the Sealed Bearings installed.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Thudman Good info. this is a basement air,right? Is it the new one with the new style(?) freon. What did it cost? Thanks,Lloyd
flash1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes, new Basement Air with R-410A Freon. Cost: 3324 + 150 freight + labor to install (about 4 hours). Mine was more than four hrs because the blower bearings were changed from the original oiled bearings to sealed bearings which were obtained from Grainger.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 10-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

OP: I may be out of the loop on this but if I understand your post, evidently your old unit was not worth repairing hence you purchased a new one and had it installed, is this right? I been following an earlier thread on the future of getting parts for the existing units so would I be correct to assume you elected not to obtain parts for your older unit and took the plunge and bought the new unit? Is the unit you purchased going to be available in the future for all of us in case our existing unit cannot be repaired? Thanks for your post.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
The inside & outside blower wheels are plastic.
Thudman

So, Thudman, is it quieter inside with the plastic blower wheels vs. the old style metal ones???
Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Fun: My old R-22 unit was beyond economical repair. I went to TJCC with an inop #1 compressor and TJCC ordered a replacement. Since they had to pull the Basement unit out to R&R the compressor, I ordered upgrade parts: a new outdoor plastic blower wheel, and two sealed bearings for the indoor and outdoor blower wheels, to replace the two bearings that need to be oiled periodically (mine is nearly 8 yrs old & has never been oiled). See Duner's excellent post on upgrades.

When they dropped the Basement air, we found the entire unit to be beyond economical repair. 'Nuf said. Upgrade parts (except sealed bearings) were returned to vendors.

Parts are available for older (R-22) units, thru RVP, Winnebago, Lichtsinn, etc. Regarding the new (R-410A) units, a production unit is at the UL lab undergoing testing. With the gov't involved who knows how long it will take until certification? RVP estimates before year's end.

RVP says Winny got ten pre-production R-410A units ".....to get some new RVs out the door...." One of the ten was left, and I got it (last one). RVP may be able to give a status update on the availability of the new units (316-832-4357). Caveat: If you have a 30A rig, you would be very limited on amp loads. I've heard "they" don't recommend a new (R-410A) unit unless you have a 50A rig. (See my post above. Not much margin remaining on a 30A rig with two compressors running).

Thudman

Old 10-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What is the BTU rating of the new basement unit?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I think the issue of sound level was related to the exterior noise reduction of the plastic outside blower cage. I did not notice a significant difference but I wear hearing aids, so go figure. Sound level inside is the same, to me. I cannot hear compressor #2 when it starts (when inside the rig). With the old unit, there was a distinct sound (hrg aids On). I'm a Happy Camper 'cuz I've been without two compressors for over two months.

I believe the new R-410A is rated at 27,000 BTUs. I'm interested to see what the change-over temp is, when the system is in Heat Mode. Previous unit held onto Heat Pump Mode until about 30* outside temp, depending on humidity, before switching to LP Furnace Mode. I'll experience that maneuver in a few days here in NC mountains.

Thudman

Old 10-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thudman,

Just went out and tested mine(I've been neglectful on my own thread). My results pretty much mirror yours.

1ac = 14-15amp
2ac = 25-26amp
2ac+fridge = 28-29amp

My delta temp seems to be ~23 degrees.

I was worried at first, it took waaay longer for #2 compressor to kick in than with the old unit. I was finally heading for the breaker panel for a look, when it finally kicked in.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thudman: Got it now and thanks very much for your reply and this thread. Great info. It would be nice if you could give us an update in about a year to let us know how your new unit is performing. I think there are numerous owners out here that have a vested interest with this whole thing. Take care.
Funtime
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

McDuff:

Do you have a new R-410A Basement unit? If, so, when/where/how did you get it? Who installed it? I must have missed your thread.

Thudman

Old 10-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
KIX
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the info on the blower wheels, Thudman. I changed the outside wheel tothe plastic one about a year ago. It made a BIG difference in sound levels......outside.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thudman,

Yes, mine is a new 410a basement unit. (I spent a 1/2 hour yesterday on a post to update my "repair saga" thread after I posted in this thread, hit a wrong key and it all went away. Got pissed, and got off the 'puter. I'll try again later today)
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/my-r...ter-75521.html

I started posting about my a/c in this thread, post #33, and more posts on pg4.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/base...d-73265-3.html

I had it at my local Winne dealer. Like you, my old unit was not economical to repair. I had read on here that Winne had some new units and had my shop call and confirm. So we got one shipped from Winne, but that one was bad. Got another one shipped directly from RVP, this one too was bad. Got a second one shipped from Winne, and that is the one that finally got installed in my coach.

Guess it was me that wiped out the inventory. Was weird to see 2 new units and my old one stacked against a wall at the shop.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Thudmeister for the update. After all the talk about not being able to get new basement units because WB went to roof units, it is good to see RVP has new units coming on line.

I couldn't believe that with the thousands of basement units WB built we'd be left hanging.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have a 40' 2010 Itasca Ellipse that I purchased new in Feb. The AC started worrying me about its cooling ability. I posted a few replys with Thudman earlier in the summer. Had it checked out and found a valve inop (reverses freon flow when changing AC to heat pump I think). I had a local RPV dealer check it out since I had a BAD experience with local Winne dealer. RPV replaced the unit at no charges with new 410 unit. A couple of weeks later I had problems again (No AC) and the Forest City factory guys replaced a control board but I right away had problems and a load noise when starting. A different RPV dealer replaced the new 410 unit with another 410 unit again at no charge. 30 amp service is almost impossible to have 2 compressors running due to the increased AMP load of the 410 units. At the minimum I have to override the changing rate on the EMS panel. Then maybe the batteries dont get charged. Well, 2 whole new units since June.
philbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Question 27K vs 24K BTU performance???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
Tom Johnson CC, Marion NC, installed my new AC. Old AC was beyond economical repair. Here are some Amp readings (Outside temp was ~74*):

1 Compressor + Fridge on AC......... 18 Amps
2 Compressors, nothing else.......... 26 Amps
2 Compressors + Fridge on AC........ 29 Amps
2 Compressors + Fridge on AC + Overhead Ceiling Lites....... 30 Amps

The inside & outside blower wheels are plastic. The blower wheels came with Oiled Bearings (1 RVP Tech said oil annually, the other said every four years).

(I was going to insert photos here, but my newly uploaded photos have disappeared. Irritating).

Since I already had two Sealed Bearings (my upgrade plans on old AC), I paid the labor to have the Sealed Bearings installed.

Thudman
Thudman and others with newer 27K higher capacity units,

Having had the new basement A/C now for 9 months or so,

I would like to know how you like the performance of the new one?

Is the higher capacity noticeably cooler?

Is the increased amperage much more trouble to deal with at 30 amp campgrounds?

Thudman, I came across your photo of the sealed ball bearings and a search lead me to this thread.