Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need Help Installing New (not Replacement) LCD TV

I am a brand new RV Owner! We just bought a 1995 Minnie 300 27RC this weekend. It does not have a TV and does not appear to have ever had one. There is a TV jack under the front driver side cupboard but no room to install on that wall. What I want to do is install above the swivel chair on the passenger side just below a cabinet.

I have read post after post after post on this forum but have not found anyone that has done a new install. Everything I've found involves a replacement.

I know screwing a TV mount into the wall will not work because the wall material is too weak to hold. And when we bought it the cabinet was loose on the left side because the screw that was in there was stripped out. I installed a fatter screw but it didn't hold, either so I'm not confident the cabinet will hold a TV attached to the bottom.

Is there a way to install a TV on the wall? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	13832  
Bondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Can you just set it on the upper bed? That's what most people do in this instance.

Otherwise I suppose you could add wood bracing between the inside and outside wall, but even that might be iffy unless you bolt through from the outside which wouldn't look good.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

How big (heavy ) is the TV---a 19" LCD is fairly light. Do you know what the wall studs are--aluminum or steel? A magnet would tell.

I have a full shop so I can make stuff pretty easily maybe you are not in the same situation?

I used this similar technique to mount a swing mount for a 22" LCD on the rear wall of my MH. It swings out of a cabinet I modified with a door as well. Any way when it swings it has the full weight magnified by the distance from the wall (hanging there) and it is very solid---not to worry. I determined the stud I went into or cross bracing was steel. These were horizontal braces in the rear of the MH. Your wall may have hgorizontal braces.

My first thought is to locate the studs. Then using the studs I would mount a nice looking finished board the same wood as the interior of the MH (perhaps a rectangle the same dimensions as the TV. I would try to cover the studs with one in the center and overlap one on each side of this board so I had three to work with. Then use metal screws counter sunk into the board (so you can put wood plugs to make it look nice) verticle in all three studs. Then attach the mount onto the board if in doing so you can also hit a stud so much the better it just depends on the mount. YOur mount screws will protrude into the wall so make sure it is an area clear of electrical. If it is a swivel mount which from the floor plan looks practicle then your mount screws would hit the middle stud most likely. Mine did.

You could use a veneer ply and trim the edges to look nice 1/2 maybe 3/4 again depending on the weight of the TV.

There are some locking swing mounts. I'll look for some and post for you if I find any.

Good luck on your project.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

MAX-Q TVS-4007 LCD TV Bracket Swing Arm Mount Flat Panel Camper Trailer RV

here is a locking mount
Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have another idea---use the bottom of the bunk to make a swing down TV which would hang basically between the drivers and passengers seats----when you are moving just swing it up and latch.

w/o seeing the rig it is hard to tell if this would work but at least a suggestion. LCD's are very flat---I put a swing down in the basement of my class A---basically a TV in a drawer and when you pull it out it drops down and hangs for viewing. Then when done lift it up and the drawer closes.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Another idea---mount the TV on a board and just put a method to hang it from the underside of the bunk betwen the seats when you want to use it----then stow it for travel.

Well enough form me----it sound like and interesting project just the kind I like---good luck and safe travels.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, here's the TV Coax Installation diagram for your coach and here's the '95 Minnie Brochure. It looks like the antenna and wiring were standard, but they don't list a TV--I guess you were supposed to supply your own.

If you give Winnebago a call (1-800-537-1885) with your serial number they can probably provide you with details about what's in the wall that you might be able to mount a bracket to.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Try Winnie Customer Service @ 800-537-1885. They may be able to fax or email you a print of the structure in that wall. I was at the factory a couple of years ago and they gave me drawings of both walls and the roof.Price was right $0.00...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Oops, I was typing while Chris was posting... Give them a call, they're very helpful.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank everyone for your help and ideas! Winnebago is emailing the entire wall structure measured in millimeters. That should make it easy to hit the studs dead center. I may opt for the bunk mount which is something I hadn't considered. But my kids just told me they would probably like to watch a movie while lying on the bunk so that might not work.
Bondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have seen flip down TV's for under a kitchen cabinet----perhaps you could put one of these say on the ceiling above the bunk so you kids could watch want they want up there---a splitter off the Tv outlet would do it and electricity, of course. ---just another thought..
Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Walmart.com: Venturer 15" Class LCD Under-Cabinet TV, KLV39150: TV & Video

This might work under the bunk above the driver passenger pass through as the RV TV----might solve your problem with minimum work----simllar versions could be used for the kids in their bunk area.

Tags
replacement