Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Thanks Sammie, I figured I'll probably spill lots of fuel and planned on having my large drain pan setting under the edge of the engine to keep the overflow off the yard. Still just a little concerned whether i can do the job or let the tech do it later in the week with my appointment. I thought I would probably be more careful with contamination than the tech would in his hurry to finish the work and if he didn't pre-fill the filter he could sure put a lot of wear and tear on the starter. If I could be in the coach all the time I wouldn't be so concerned but that will never happen.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Do the two type filter clamps shown on the thread linked above that look like either vice grips or large pliers with teeth actually pierce and crimp the filter or just give a good grip on the filter in order to remove the tight ones.
One of mine is a two position metal strap that is two large in one position and too small in the other. My other one is just a rubber strap with a plastic handle but the filter is too slick for it to get a good grip. And the shop that replaced it last time while adjusting the valves must have tightened it by hand then give it another 1/2 turn with a tool. Guess I'm due for a new type tool if I want to get this fuel filter off the engine.

I never tighten any of mine on all 4 of my vehicles more than 1/2 turn after the oiled gasket makes contact with the engine, and I can usually get the old one off without any kind of wrench.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Do the two type filter clamps shown on the thread linked above that look like either vice grips or large pliers with teeth actually pierce and crimp the filter or just give a good grip on the filter in order to remove the tight ones.
One of mine is a two position metal strap that is two large in one position and too small in the other. My other one is just a rubber strap with a plastic handle but the filter is too slick for it to get a good grip. And the shop that replaced it last time while adjusting the valves must have tightened it by hand then give it another 1/2 turn with a tool. Guess I'm due for a new type tool if I want to get this fuel filter off the engine.

I never tighten any of mine on all 4 of my vehicles more than 1/2 turn after the oiled gasket makes contact with the engine, and I can usually get the old one off without any kind of wrench.
Here is the filter wrench I use for both my fuel filters and my oil filter. The strap is about the size in diameter of a 1 gallon jug and will wind around the square metal attached tube until it reaches the size you need for that filter. The square hole in the end is the same size as a 1/2 inch ratchet wrench but depending on the leverage you need you can adapt down to a 3/8 inch ratchet wrench if you want.
I also use the wrench to snug tight my filters when reinstalling.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #24

I have the same setup

It is possible to get the secondary filter on without removing the CAC hose. It takes two hands, one to hold the filter up and the other to guide it carefully around the obstacles. You might lose 1/4 oz of fuel in the process. Not a big problem.

Get some plastic sheeting and painters tape and mask off the entire area. Just one drop of diesel fuel in the bedroom carpet will stink for months. Doesn't bother me but it sure upsets the DW.

For transporting the pre-filled filter I used zip-lock freezer bags. Two of them.

That's a good tip about washing the engine first. Mine was nowhere as dirty as the pictures but I think next time I'll spray it first anyway.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Here is the filter wrench I use for both my fuel filters and my oil filter. The strap is about the size in diameter of a 1 gallon jug and will wind around the square metal attached tube until it reaches the size you need for that filter. The square hole in the end is the same size as a 1/2 inch ratchet wrench but depending on the leverage you need you can adapt down to a 3/8 inch ratchet wrench if you want.
I also use the wrench to snug tight my filters when reinstalling.

Sammie
I just destroyed mine!! I tried to use it on the alternator fan and there were some sharp edges that tore right through the belt. I had two of them as well as a large metal one so I'm still OK in the filter wrench department.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote