Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My steps are stuck closed

Hello, My 2007 33t sighteer steps started closing in a jerky fashion last night. This morning the steps will not come down. I believe I do hear a click sound when my opens the door and I'm near the steps listening. I can't access the motor with the steps up and can't seem to figure out how to get them down. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Frankie313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie313 View Post
Hello, My 2007 33t sighteer steps started closing in a jerky fashion last night. This morning the steps will not come down. I believe I do hear a click sound when my opens the door and I'm near the steps listening. I can't access the motor with the steps up and can't seem to figure out how to get them down. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Take a look at this thread, great info in it. Good luck!
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ps-350103.html
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago. First I would slide underneath with a cell phone camera and take a shot of the model sticker next go to YouTube and search the make and model or simply search repair RV steps. You will find a load of videos on what to do. I saw a lady older than I am get under there and replaced the motor. After that I ordered a motor from Amazon and replaced it in about 15 minutes. Works fine now . Also I did a Google search for the make and model number and came up with a copy of the service manual. At a rally seminar about step maintenance the presenter said 90% of the time spraying a can of WD40 in the gears and moving parts will get them to run. Ever since then YouTube has been my go to first for repair issues.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you
Old 02-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I just had the motor go on my steps a few months ago. This is the second time in four years. The motor was replaced last time by the dealership about two years ago.

The most recent problem started when the steps would not extend, than they would extend, than finally they stopped working completely. I could hear a click when the door opened or closed, and the light under the steps would go on, so I was pretty confident the motor was getting power and needed to be replaced.

My steps did not have a Kwikee label on them, but the motor did have a part number (300-1457) and the control board had a part number (1510000172). With a little research, I was able to determine I had the Kwikee Revolution steps. Ordered the motor online ($117 plus shipping) and installed it without any problems. The steps now work fine.

In my case, the motor was held in place by two screws. It was a very simple installation. I'm definitely glad I took the time to do it myself. Saved at least $150-$200 by ordering the motor online and installing it myself. Like mentioned above, youtube has several videos on RV steps repair.

Word of advise, prior to removing the motor, make sure you secure the steps. They are heavy and it will make it easier to remove the motor since the gear (on the motor) is holding the steps in place. I actually placed my Craftsman toolbox under the steps to hold them in place. Once I removed the motor, the toolbox held the steps in place and prevented them from hitting me.

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hello, thank you for your information, I just got part number today and will use advice on replacing the motor myself. I found a few utube videos today. My light does come on and I hear the click. So I'll dive in myself after receiving the motor. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie313 View Post
Hello, thank you for your information, I just got part number today and will use advice on replacing the motor myself. I found a few utube videos today. My light does come on and I hear the click. So I'll dive in myself after receiving the motor. Thank you.
Don't know where you are in Minnesoooota, but I have a used step along with two control units that I would sell. Don't ask why.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps