Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

My latest project

Ladies and Gents,
The pictures below are the primary reason we purchased the D/P in the first place. It's not the ONLY reason but, one of the main ones. The gas rig (Bounder 34V) just was not up to par for such an alteration but, the chassis etc. on this rig is just fine for the task. It's been a bit of a task but, kind of fun along the way. For those that have not seen or know about this, it's a hydraulic lift, capable of 1000 lbs and still tow an 8000 lb toad.

Now, our little Jeep Ruby's only about 4200 lbs so, I'm way under that limit. The lift is not mounted IN the trailer hitch. In fact, the factory 10,000 lb hitch was removed and this bolts up to the same exact frame holes where the hitch was. Anyway, this is it. A bit of tweaking here and there for better tie down points and I think she'll be ready to hit the road.
Scott

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	12587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	12588  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	12589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	12590  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Yow-Zaa! How much does the Gold Wing (?) weigh? Is that a receiver hitch extension I see sneeking out from under? What actuates the lift?

Very Kool...
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Nice install. Hope you enjoy the toys on the road. Have fun and Happy Motoring!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Every time I think I'm pretty cool I see something like this. Where do you keep the Helicopter ? Very nice setup !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvagediver View Post
Yow-Zaa! How much does the Gold Wing (?) weigh? Is that a receiver hitch extension I see sneeking out from under? What actuates the lift?

Very Kool...
Sir,
The Goldwing weighs in at around 850-900 lbs. And yes, you do see a "receiver" style hitch. It's built into the lift system so one can tow and carry the M/C. It's rated at 8000 lbs. 500 lbs tongue weight without the lift loaded and no tongue weight with the lift loaded. The lift is a hydraulically operated unit. It comes with its own little electric motor, hooked directly to a little hydraulic pump. The lift is rated at 1000 lbs. All one has to do is tie into either the house batteries or chassis batteries with some four or six GA wire, depending on the length of the run. I used six GA wire 'cause my run from where the inverter is fed from the house batts is only about three feet. And, it lifts the Wing almost like it's not on the rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Nice install. Hope you enjoy the toys on the road. Have fun and Happy Motoring!
Thanks very much Sir for your nice comments. We'll try and enjoy, if I ever get it out on the road.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Every time I think I'm pretty cool I see something like this. Where do you keep the Helicopter ? Very nice setup !!
Sir,
That's pretty funny. You know, it's only money. Of course I'm stretched to the limit with what you're looking at but, in our travels we've seen many nice situations. Twice we've seen 40' + rigs towing double decker, three axle trailers, enclosed or not, with a boat, jet skis, a car, a Harley or Wing and other toys, all on the one trailer. We just sold our boat for lack of use. So, now it's the Wing and a Jeep Rubicon. I'm hoping to tow a better, nicer toad in the near future.
Scott
Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Nice setup there Scott.

Wish I could do that for my 1500 Goldwing but my wimpy old gas coach would barely handle the hoist, let alone the Wing!

Good times!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It looks in the pictures as if the coach tail lights are completely obscured by the motorcycle on the lift. How do you deal with that? Is it necessary to add taillights on the lift itself?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
It looks in the pictures as if the coach tail lights are completely obscured by the motorcycle on the lift. How do you deal with that? Is it necessary to add taillights on the lift itself?
Chris,
Although depending on the following drivers closeness, they sometimes are and sometime not obscured. But, just to be on the safe side, I'm adding a set of "stop-turn-tail" lights to the lift itself. The company supplies spaces/brackets for adding tail lights to the lift. They also sell the light kits for their brackets. I may or may not buy theirs. We'll see. As usual, a company like that will sell them for considerably more than just purchasing some standard stop-turn-tail light assemblys.
Scott
Old 07-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Scott

Goldwingerx2 to here, I am glad it is working out like you thought it would. We had a great time at Winnebago GNR even thought it was HOT.

I like your set up safe travels,
Dean
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Dean,
Thanks so much for the nice comment. It's getting there. As I've stated in other posts, it is in need of some tweaking here and there but, not much. As long as I can satisfy myself on the stability of the big girl on the lift, I'm good to go. I will have six tie downs on her. Two with soft ties around the triple tree, as usual, and then I'm actually going to do something I've advised against on the Goldwing forums several times. And that is, the utilization of the crash bars for tying her down for transport. That's about the only way, based on the layout of the outriggers etc, on the lift.
Scott
Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Nice setup there Scott.

Wish I could do that for my 1500 Goldwing but my wimpy old gas coach would barely handle the hoist, let alone the Wing!

Good times!
Ah yes, but put a little pen to paper and see what that 'wimpy old gas coach' actual costs you to buy, operate, and maintain versus others. Seriously, if it meets your needs, it's the right one.