Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Mud Guards/Mud Flaps

I have a question re mud guards. I live in Arizona. Are mud guards required on a motorhome? I have searched and cannot find anything on this subject. I have written the Arizona DOT two weeks ago and have not received an answer. My present coach did not come with any and I don't use a toad at this point. Am I legal???
Old 03-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

azloafer;

If you are refering to the mud and stone guards that are installed near the rear bumper my answer would be they are not required. I don't have one and have done a lot of traveling the past years. I tow a Saturn and I don't see any visible damage to the toad.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
azloafer;

If you are referring to the mud and stone guards that are installed near the rear bumper my answer would be they are not required. I don't have one and have done a lot of traveling the past years. I tow a Saturn and I don't see any visible damage to the toad.

Don
Do you have any flaps right behind the rear wheels? I just want to be legal. Thanks, Joe
Old 03-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #4

We bought our first dually pickup in Ohio - it didn't come with flaps behind the rear wheels, and it was legal. When we moved to Texas, however, we couldn't pass the Texas safety inspection until we added them. Our next dually, bought in Texas, had them added by the dealer before delivery. The rationale isn't to keep mud from being thrown up, but rather to protect the vehicles behind from a rock being caught between the wheels of the dually being thrown back at them.

I can't speak to Arizona, but a vehicle inspection station or vehicle inspector should be able to give you the answer.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
We bought our first dually pickup in Ohio - it didn't come with flaps behind the rear wheels, and it was legal. When we moved to Texas, however, we couldn't pass the Texas safety inspection until we added them. Our next dually, bought in Texas, had them added by the dealer before delivery. The rationale isn't to keep mud from being thrown up, but rather to protect the vehicles behind from a rock being caught between the wheels of the dually being thrown back at them.

I can't speak to Arizona, but a vehicle inspection station or vehicle inspector should be able to give you the answer.

Rusty
Our town (unincorporated) is basically a retirement community and we are exempt from any vehicle inspections. Maybe they don't trust us to drive to Tucson for inspections because we are too old? Ha Thanks, Joe
Old 03-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
sip
Winnebago Camper

Mud Flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I have a question re mud guards. I live in Arizona. Are mud guards required on a motorhome? I have searched and cannot find anything on this subject. I have written the Arizona DOT two weeks ago and have not received an answer. My present coach did not come with any and I don't use a toad at this point. Am I legal???
Some states require mud flaps on trucks to keep the side spray down. Several motorhomes are clasafied as trucks.
sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Do you have any flaps right behind the rear wheels? I just want to be legal. Thanks, Joe
Yes; I do have the mud flaps behind the rear wheels.
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to rowesort
As others have said mud flaps behind the wheels are a separate thing, the mud flap across the back is a rock guard and if your towing anything it is a really good idea to have one. If you decide to tow a toad and you do not think you need one come and take a look at mine it is very heavy and does not sway back in the wind, the steel facia on the side to the front to the coach is beat to s*%t. PS I have had the car covers and they work but I went to the rock guard that mounts on the towbar in front to the vehicle, it works so good that I do not use the car cover and I have towed my toad 35,000 miles. My rock guard does not mount vertically, it mounts angling forward so rocks are deflected down. Takes only minutes to install and thus you not fussing with windshield covers when you have to move the toad
rowesort is offline   Reply With Quote