Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #1

Since getting our '07 Horizon 40TD we have noticed the metal (aluminum?) faceplate on the full-length mud flap can easily be dinged/bent. I was following the motorhome through a windy curve with a slight dip and watched the mud flap scrape the ground, creating a small crease in the metal.

I've been researching the Forum and have read about the modification kit for earlier models, saw some interesting "fixes" to keep the flap up when dumping, loved the straightening job Chippysgt did while driving his Jeep across the mud flap, and read about the experiences of those who went with after-market Ultraguard.

Has anyone attempted to just remove the metal plate? Have folks trimmed the bottom of the flap to shorten it?

The "Horizon" name across the back is just glued on lettering. (Our previous coach had the letters stenciled out and my husband placed red reflector strips visible through the opening for improved visibility at night. We may just re-create the Horizon lettering directly onto the rubber and not worry about the metal.

A drive through the shop parking lot at our Winnebago/Itasca dealer confirms this problem is not limited to just our coach. Lots of bent/dinged metal plates on all sorts of models. Suggestions welcomed.
- CoolJudy
CoolJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
I helped | retired moderator

Some folks have raised the flap by shortening the chains it hangs from. That was not possible on my rig.

I removed the stainless Newmar piece and moved it up as far as I could, about 2", and trimmed the bottom of the flap and that has worked well.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

You need 4"-5" between the mudflap and the ground. Can you trim the top instead of the bottom?
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #4

Quote:
A drive through the shop parking lot at our Winnebago/Itasca dealer confirms this problem is not limited to just our coach. Lots of bent/dinged metal plates on all sorts of models. Suggestions welcomed.
- CoolJudy
We removed ours.. The driveway is too steep and on the way up, it was pinched between the asphalt and the hitch. If you let the air out to level, it was bent between the ground and the coach. We also felt it kicked up rocks off the road into the front of the toad.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It might be difficult to remove part of the rubber flap as it has metal sandwiched between the rubber surfaces. The stainless steel logo plate is bolted onto my rubber flap. There are some nuts on the back in order to remove it. At least this is how it is on my Horizon

You also might check the ride height of the suspension. After having mine adjusted (twice before they got it right) the flap clearance was much better.

I still have to watch the flap clearance when the front has to be raised significantly. To address this, I installed a small stainless steel chain on the flap, so I can pull it up in those situations.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I suspect most of these flaps are mounted too low, and the mounting doesn't allow enough flex.

I have seen many damaged flaps, and was mystified as to why mine has never had a problem. Here is watch some visual comparisons revealed. My flap clears the ground by 5"-6" at normal ride height. My flap is mounted slightly forward of the hitch where it doesn't catch under it. My flap is mounted on chain links into a large eye bolt on each side ...this lets it swing very freely and the eye bolts make an easy height adujustment. AND, when I dump the air to level the coach (Spartan chassis), the body creeps forward 4"-6" on the wheels as the suspension comes down, (yes, brakes are locked) causing the flap to lay out slightly to the rear as/if it hits the ground.

If I had any grief with mine I would totally remove it. Their primary function seems to be advertising. Much of my research on these full width flaps online and with other owners indicate they most likely cause more damage than they prevent. And the closer they are to the pavement, the more damage they cause.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I got one ding in my mud flap and it was due to draging it up while going forward into some parking area. My ding was caused by the lenght of u-bolt in the exhaust pipe which faced downward. I sawed off the extra 2 inches as to not repeat my mishap. During the inspection I also found that the bracket which held on to the exhaust pipe was also broke and was lucky not to loose 3 feet of tail pipe. (lucky for tow car).
I,m thinking of drilling a hole in the ding and putting in a reflector or something that looks like something other than a dent.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I found the fix to be easy. Relocate the mudflap and add links of chain that allow the flap to move side-to-side. I used a longer bolt for the trailer hitch-to-frame union and and attached the longer chain to the bolts and held the flap at a different angle (not allowing the flap to hang closer to the ground). I saw this setup on a Monaco and like the way the flap had room to actually sway and move. I also reinforced the top of the flap with metal strap to ensure a strong support.

Good luck, just another three hour project.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

AFChap - I have started to believe just what you stated, pur advertising. When I ordered my coach in 2004 I thought the big hanging pretty mud flap would really protect the tow dingy, but from all the chips on the front and gravel pieces inside the radiator grill I'm beginning to think just the opposite. I've re-arranged the hanging brackets to get as much ground clearance as possible but it must still drag during road bouncing. I'd take the thing off and store it till the coach is sold, but its so big and heavy I don't know what I'd do with it.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
I helped | retired moderator

Many folks have found that raising the mud flap reduces or eliminates toad dings.

Whenever the flap contacts the road, debris is kicked up.

More road clearance is better.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I will have to check the bottom of my rock gard to see if there is any road scuffing marks.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We placed a pair of heavy chains which connects with each of the two links which hang the "mudflap" (actually a advertisement for the motor home manufacturer)under the flap, holding it up away from the road. I noticed first off when I drove the coach up our driveway, that the mud flap would really drag. Backing back down would have caused it a great deal of damage. So I run the chains under the mudflap and connect them to the two bolts on the hitch receiver. When underway, I re-orient the chains so that they are over the mud flap, allowing it to flap freely. Works for me.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We don't have a Winnebago but our MH did come with an after market full width mudflap. We tow our car on a dolly and noticed right away all the rocks we would pick up each day that were deposited on the tray of the dolley. I put two & two together and figured I was getting a sweeping effect with a 95" mudflap of the road with each dip in the road. Since most debris is kicked up by the tires I replaced the front and rear mudflaps with wider and longer hard plastic flaps and removed the rear full width mudflap altogether. Now I very rarely get any rocks on the dolly and presumably none on the car, I haven't noticed any.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote