Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Got a new toy today--

I bought a Mr Clean AutoDry carwash unit from WW ($14.95).

WOW -- I just got city water at my home, and it was a huge improvement over my hard well water, leaving all kinds of water spots on the coach prior. Even with the city water, I had water spots.

This unit uses a dual filter system to deliver de-ionized water for the final rinse. I am amazed at the difference. No water spots on the windshield (which I usually had to clean with Windex after washing) or on the rest of the body of the coach. Looks freshly waxed.

Now, the next question will be how many washes do I get out of the de-ionized filter kit on the coach. My bet is 1-2. But it's still worth it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Got a new toy today--

I bought a Mr Clean AutoDry carwash unit from WW ($14.95).

WOW -- I just got city water at my home, and it was a huge improvement over my hard well water, leaving all kinds of water spots on the coach prior. Even with the city water, I had water spots.

This unit uses a dual filter system to deliver de-ionized water for the final rinse. I am amazed at the difference. No water spots on the windshield (which I usually had to clean with Windex after washing) or on the rest of the body of the coach. Looks freshly waxed.

Now, the next question will be how many washes do I get out of the de-ionized filter kit on the coach. My bet is 1-2. But it's still worth it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Don:

I have the first generation Mr. Clean and have used it a lot on my cars. I used it once on the rig but (I'm only 5'7") found it hard to use the final filtered spray without constantly climbing up and down a ladder. It does do the trick in terms of minimizing water spots. I figure it is good for about 2 motorhome washes.

I've not checked the newest version of the gizmo....maybe I should.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I use to do that to and it worked great but I just got the On-the go water ro system from rv upgrades and it works great. I figure that in the long run it will save us money. ;-)
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have extremely iron rich water in our part of the country. I have used the Mr Clean system for about 4 years now. I can't get one complete coach wash out of a rinse cylcle. I finally went to using distilled water in a garden sprayer for the final rinse, it works very well and cheaper than the Mr Clean de-ionizer. WW has distilled water for about .60 cents a gallon.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:21 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I use my TravelSoft water softner to wash the coach... no spots, works great and the wash and wax foams up so much bubbles fly through the air!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #7

Our water is high in calcium. I use the Mr. Clean system to wash the truck, and it dries spot-free as advertised. Unfortunately, the spot-free rinse doesn't have enough pressure to get to the top portion of the 5th wheel, so IMHO it's marginal for an RV application.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We are busy getting the coach ready for a few months of traveling and just washed the coach with our revived pressure washer and old-fashioned manual labor (with soft brushes.)

We have soft well water (thanks to a water softener) and a whole-house carbon/sediment filter. Even with soft water and copious amounts of rinse water, I still had spots to deal with. However, I found a great way of eliminating the spots - I waxed the coach (I like Nu-Finish.)

I used a packaged soap/rinse agent a year or so ago with pretty good results (not the Mr. Clean version) but probably due to non-soft water at the last house I still had some spots afterwards.

From what I have read, de-ionized water is the only way to truly have a spot-free finish. The distilled water idea sounds like it has great merit and cheaper than buying a device to produce de-ionized water.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I also like the idea of distilled water, so I am going to try the sprayer route with the distilled water as an option, and compare it to the Mr Clean de-ionized water system.

Gary -- this may help the hard reach to the top side of the coach (I'm 5'8") with the wand on the sprayer.

One twist is I am going to try adding a little Jet-Dry wetting agent to the distilled water to see if this works. The bottle doesn't have any instructions for concentrations, so I will probably pull out some of my old photo processing literature, which used Photo-Flo as a wetting agent.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Will take a few weeks as currently the coach is clean and it isn't going out for a couple weeks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

PUSHERMAN: I have tried "Jet Dry" in my sprayer along with the distilled water. I did not see any added value. However, I will watch for your results. So far I have been able to completely rinse the coach with about two gallons of distilled water. A larger coach will take a little more, I am 33 ft X 102". I have also tried this on my cars and truck and it works very well there also.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote