Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have an 07 Journey with an A&E powered awning. I understand that the awning has a wind sensor so mounting anything to the awning track is really risky. We also have a slide that comes out under the main awning and the slide has it's own topper awning. Has anyone seen any brackets that can mount to the topper hardware/brackets that will allow a wire to stretch the full length of the slide. Or brackets that can clamp to the slide outer edges. My wife bought CW globe lights just before we traded our Damon so we have only used them once and you all know if the wife's not happy............ I need to find a way to suspend these lights under the main awning without interfering with the auto wind feature. We have our Bassett hound with us so putting the lights on ground brackets isn't an option.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have an 07 Journey with an A&E powered awning. I understand that the awning has a wind sensor so mounting anything to the awning track is really risky. We also have a slide that comes out under the main awning and the slide has it's own topper awning. Has anyone seen any brackets that can mount to the topper hardware/brackets that will allow a wire to stretch the full length of the slide. Or brackets that can clamp to the slide outer edges. My wife bought CW globe lights just before we traded our Damon so we have only used them once and you all know if the wife's not happy............ I need to find a way to suspend these lights under the main awning without interfering with the auto wind feature. We have our Bassett hound with us so putting the lights on ground brackets isn't an option.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have clipped mine (when I was into that) under the slide with cheap spring clamps. Makes a nice accent. Way too much trouble to hang them from the awning and dangerous if you need to roll the awning up in a hurry.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My coach has that awning. When extended there is a slot on the bottom of the tube into which I slide plastic devices made to suspend lights and such. I leave them in all of the time and they pose no problem when retracting. I find the wind sensor too sensitive and turned mine off years ago. If the weather looks dicey or we are going to be away for an extended period I just stow the awning. Ease of extension and retraction are the main attributes of the powered awning.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ditto!
Shut off the sensor as it is not uncommon to retract in dead-calm air, get awning brackets from CW, RV Upgrades, etc., and enjoy the lights.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ditto on not trusting the sensor when you are not there to monitor conditions. I have seen problems in the opposite direction - a sudden single strong gust destroying the wwning before the sensor can react.

In fact, if it looks stormy, we retract the slides as well - since I've seen slide awnings ripped loose by high winds.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
Ditto on not trusting the sensor when you are not there to monitor conditions. I have seen problems in the opposite direction - a sudden single strong gust destroying the wwning before the sensor can react.

In fact, if it looks stormy, we retract the slides as well - since I've seen slide awnings ripped loose by high winds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK we always stow the awning at nite also. I have been known to stow the slide at nite at times of bad weather also. All maual operations. It just keeps me younger. EXCERISE!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have a string of 6 patio lights from costco, stretched out they are 20 feet long as long as my awning. I have stakes I drive in the ground at the end of my patio mats I hang the lamps on the stakes 6-8 inches from the ground, they are on a timer. Most nights I roll up the awning or when leaving the campground the awning gets rolled up. If bad weather arrives I roll up the awning the lights stay where they are all the time in all kinds of weather. It takes about 5-10 minutes to do put the lights up.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

GG1, now that's using your head other than a hat rack! Nice Job!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Lot's of good ideas here. Thanks everyone
Old 08-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I bought the little plastic hooks that stick on and can be removed by just pulling the adhesive strip on the back made by 3M. I put one on each end of my awning and my light strip is long enough to hook from one end of the awning to the other. That way I can roll up the awning or put it out and never have to touch the lights. I found the neatest lights by Martha Stewart . . . they have the big clear Christmas bulbs instead of the little tiny ones and big satin Chinese ball type covers over them. They put out a lot of light and are really PRETTY.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

GraciesMom - A clever idea!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

GraciesMom....I like the plastic hook idea. Not a big fan of Martha.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Not a fan of Martha's either - but when she's got a product better than anything else I've seen, I'll buy it. I've seen the little chinese silk globes, but they had the tiny little Christmas lites in them - these are the first I've seen that have the full size lights. I like having a lot of light on the patio - if i want soft light, I light the Citronella candles.