Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Motorhome Steps

Exciting thing happened to our steps.

We have been parked for about 3 weeks and then yesterday when I went out the MH and the steps looked funny. They looked about half way out. I reached down, grabbed the step and it moved freely in and out like a back yard swing. The steps series 34 Kwikee/PowerGear.

A call to Lippert and the advice given was to remove the power connector to the motor and apply 12v to see if the motor is working. Unfortunately I don't have the means to apply an external 12v source. I called a mobile tech and I am still waiting for a call back

We went on our merry way to visit some friends today and in conversation he said to start the engine and then go out, close the door and pull and push on the step to see if maybe the gear slipped. Hey, what do I have to loose.

When we returned I started the engine, went out side, closed the door and I didn't have to touch the steps. They went all the way in by themselves. I opened and closed the door several times and the steps are working perfectly.

Day before yesterday I started the engine to check if the ABS light was still on. We had hit some water and dirt and I was hoping it ws just temporary. It was, so I turned trhe engine off. I'm thinking I did not leave the key in the on position long enough for the steps to complete a cycle. Just thinking out loud.

Any ideas?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our steps are powered by the chassis battery. So if they work better with the engine running look for an electrical connection issue. We have a switch inside the door to shut the steps off as well to check.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mike, My EMS says I have over 12.8 volts on both sets of batteries so I'm sure that was not the problem as evidenced by a very quick start of the coach. I always shut the steps off except when we are ready to move. For safety reasons the steps will automatically extend when the door is opened and retract when the enigine or key is in the run position even with the step in the off position.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Check it at the switch and the the steps then for the voltage. It's either electrical or mechanical.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

The part about the steps moving freely in and out like a backyard swing is concerning. This points to a mechanical issue, not electrical. I'm glad your steps seem to be working again but be careful - your steps should never be easy to move by hand and mechanical problems seldom go away on their own.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is a picture of the gear box and motor. Not even close to the older 2007/2008 system. The controller is different also. I'll call lippert again but I believe in this model the motor is what keeps the steps from in the in or out position as there is a constant current flow.

This is a Kwikee/PowerGear IMGL Series 34 step

on older models, like my previous 2008, leaving the steps on without turning off the disconnect switch will run the batteries down.

IIMGL = (integrated motor/gear box/linkage)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7155.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	170220  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

correction: On older models not IMGL leaving the step "on" can drain the battery. (Ask my how I know on my 2008)

Tags
motorhome, steps