Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question MotorHome Roof Sealing

New to the site and would like to know what is the best sealer to use when sealing the exterior roof. I have a Winnebago Adventuer. Any suggestions appreciated.
Roadhouse45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #2

What type of roof?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I guess it depends if you have a "rubber" roof and you are looking at annual maintenance or some kind of repair. If you are looking for annual maintianence, any roof cleaner with a UV protectent/ sealer are fine.

Here's an example of what's available:

http://www.campingworld.com/category...nce-repair/223
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #4

Welcome Roadhouse45. I think this thread would be better in the Winnebago forum of irV2 as your coach should have a one-piece fiberglass roof that Winnebago has used on quite a few models for a number of years. There are special things to watch for and maintain on the fiberglass roofs, like the side seams, in order to keep your 10-year warranty in place.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've moved your thread here to the Winnie forum.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
What type of roof?
It's a Rubber roof, someone told me a great sealer is mop and glow
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Welcome Roadhouse45. I think this thread would be better in the Winnebago forum of irV2 as your coach should have a one-piece fiberglass roof that Winnebago has used on quite a few models for a number of years. There are special things to watch for and maintain on the fiberglass roofs, like the side seams, in order to keep your 10-year warranty in place.
Thanx, It is a Rubber Roof, no leaks but needs to be sealed
Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I guess it depends if you have a "rubber" roof and you are looking at annual maintenance or some kind of repair. If you are looking for annual maintianence, any roof cleaner with a UV protectent/ sealer are fine.

Here's an example of what's available:

RV Roof Maintenance, Rubber Sealant, Rubber Roof Cleaner, Kool Seal, Dicor - Camping World
It is a Rubber roof
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It is a Rubber roof
What year Winnebago is it? ...they haven't done rubber roofs in a long time, if ever. 'Course, some owner could have added it for some insane reason...

Some folks use mop n glo on fiberglass roofs to help keep them clean, but it does nothing I know of as far as sealing leaks. You can use a brush on coating to recondition/seal rubber roofs, but fiberglass requires the use of actual sealants, normally applied from a tube.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
What year Winnebago is it? ...they haven't done rubber roofs in a long time, if ever. 'Course, some owner could have added it for some insane reason...
Its a 2001, Thanx
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse45 View Post
Its a 2001, Thanx
My appolgy, it is Fiberglass, winne never made a rubber roof recently. I hear mop and glow works well as a sealer.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

sealing the roof

You might check out eternabond tape some people like it & some don't I'm on year 2 since I did mine holding up very well easy to put on.Used 2" on the sides & 4" across the front & rear cap after and when your done you can forget about it.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun 33V View Post
You might check out eternabond tape some people like it & some don't I'm on year 2 since I did mine holding up very well easy to put on.Used 2" on the sides & 4" across the front & rear cap after and when your done you can forget about it.
I'm always interested in roof fixes (had a few problems along the way).... How did you clean the surface for maximum "stick"?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Rkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun 33V
Hi Fun, when you say you used 2" tape on the sides, do you mean....on roof along the edge front to rear? Not the side of the coach, right?
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Itasca Sonova and would like to re-seal the sides of my fiberglass roof. Any suggestions what product to use? I was going to use Dicor's Ultra Seal but I can't find it anywhere, sounds like Dicor stopped making it. Anyone know if it was a good product or why they stopped making it?
RCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCranium View Post
I have a 2005 Itasca Sonova and would like to re-seal the sides of my fiberglass roof. Any suggestions what product to use? I was going to use Dicor's Ultra Seal but I can't find it anywhere, sounds like Dicor stopped making it. Anyone know if it was a good product or why they stopped making it?
There is a sheet in your manual with all the places that need sealed and caulked. It has the Winnie approved products. On mine the long side seams take Manus Bond 75AM. The other parts of the roof use Nuflex 311 or 331. Your roof may be different. There have been many threads on this subject. Use the search option and I am sure you will see it has been beat to death.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks on the suggestions
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

eternabond tape install

The tape goes in the bottom of the drip gutter then up and over the caulked seam and on to the fiberglass roof. First I cleaned the gutter out with simple green the used "eternabond spray cleaner that I purchased with the tape there is a video on u-tube that shows it being cleaned & installed
Old 09-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I also have an adventurer and have used the eternabond tape front to back on both sides as previously stated and also left to right on the front and rear caps. It is easy to put on and holds very well.

One of my driving lites fell off and I used eterna bond taope to hold it back in place and it is still there.

Use the 2" Eternabond tape and you will bnot have ay problems

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Rkh

Seems to me a 2" strip of tape along that roof edge would look awful. Looking closer, it seems the roof traps the side of the coach and unless it separates, most likely would not become a source of a leak..Am I thinking correctly here? Using the tape along the width of the MH at the front and rear end caps seems to be a great idea though.
Winnebago tells me that all sealants on the roof area of the coach are silicone based! Huh? Eternabond will stick to everything except silicone according to their website.
Not an issue on the endcaps as a 3 or 4 inch wide tape will span any narrow bead of silicone caulk. I will have to use a silicone based sealant around the vents, skylight, etc.
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, roof