Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

through the roof

I guess you could if you wanted a really good looking finished thing but as it was on the roof and no one could see it I didn't. I just wanted the leak to stop which it did.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #42

I didt have silicone, just the rubber caulking stuff that was cracked and I went right over it with the Ultima.. filled in the cracks beautifully and resealed everything. Very easy to do using a cheap brush. I used a 'chip brush' selling at 4 for a dollar..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Do any of you have experience with using these products over urethane caulk, which is what most Ws have? My roof edge caulk is moldy, and I'm thinking of cleaning and painting, rather than re-caulking, maybe with either of these products most recently mentioned.... Thanks.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #44

Sorry, my bad.. Ultima is urethane..
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Jim, sounds like a winner to me.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #46
Rkh

I was told by Winnebago that nothing stuck to silicone, except maybe more silicone....Not true?
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Not sure about this silicone issue.... Some are saying Winnebago used silicone and others say urethane (including, apparently, some Winnie advisers). It seems to me that we need to clarify what type of product we're really talking about, because my info tells me that W did not use silicone, but used a urethane product. This distinction needs to be determined, if we are going to cover it with another product, right? Or did I miss something?? I believe W's bulletin says Manus is what they used, and that it is a urethane sealant. If anyone has a good source for determining the type of product, I would appreciate a posting of it, Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #48
Rkh

steelhead, go to the Winnebago website and click on the owners section. There you will find spec sheets that call out your sealants. There is also a service tip you can pull up to cross reference the sealant part number with what it actually is..In 2000, Winnebago used both silicone and urethane sealants. Urethane on the front end cap and roof edge. They used silicone around vents, Skylight, etc...
Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Rkh, that's where I got the Manus urethane sealant info. What I'm trying to determine is which "paint-on" product is truly compatible with the Manus urethane product. Midniteoyl has suggested Geocel Ultima, which I have researched, and it appears to be my best option at this point.

See, what I'm trying to do is avoid both the "inspect and re-seal your roof seams every year" AND the Eternabond solution. So, I'm looking to find a third option: if there is a product out there that does a superior job of sealing OVER the bead of caulk, that's what I'm after.... Thanks for getting back.

I'm hoping that my involvement in this thread is helpful to the OP's original question, as I'm not wanting to hijack his thread. Thanks to all....
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #50

Every knowledgeable person we've talked to, including Winnebago support, has told us to remove the existing broken or missing caulking and then replace with new sealant after cleaning the channel. All have told us not to caulk over existing caulk.

And, there shouldn't be the need to re-seal every year. Yes, Winnebago still recommends bi-yearly inspection (twice a year) of the roof seams but if re-caulking is done correctly, it could last up to six or seven years depending on what kind of conditions the RV is subjected to as our original roof seam caulking is now just starting to show some deterioration and we've now gone six years plus. We've subjected the coach to severe conditions too ...some summers in the desert sun and some winters in snow and ice. However, we put 303 on the seams once every two months.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winnebago Roof to Sidewall Joint Sealing.pdf (478.0 KB, 113 views)
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Amanda -- See, that's just it.... twice yearly inspections, 303 on seams every two months, and the ever-present leak potential. And while I applaud your attention to your roof and I'm glad that you have a system that works for you, I'm trying to eliminate all such roof/ladder chores. I spend a lot of time in rainy, cold winters (steelhead fisherman) and the consequence is a roof with moldy, mossy caulking. not the end of the world, but an annoyance that might be eliminated....

So far, it looks to me that Eternabond on the cap joints, and then a sealer over a nice caulking job using compatible urethane components (such as Manus and Geocel) might work well for me. And somewhere in this conversation there might be a solution that appeals to others. I've learned a lot. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #52
Winnebago Camper

I did Eternabond on my front cap seam but I'm not really happy with the radius curves down the sides of the cap.
I'm thinking I may remove the Eternabond from the radius curves, leaving it intact along the flat roof seam. I will then use the proper Winnie caulk on the radius seams. I think this will be much more visually appealing and probably will require minimal inspection and touch up. I just don't like the way the Eternabond looks from the ground. Looks like a hack job.
I do like the way it looks up on the roof and it has held up really well. It's great for flat surfaces.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #53
Winnebago Camper

I spoke with Winneabago yesterday & they recomend Urathane only
Roadhouse45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #54
Rkh

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #55
Rkh

Hey FlyingButch, Midnite oyl, I've been to Lowes and Home Depot and could not find either Ultima or Through the Roof. Where do you get these locally?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #56
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
I got the tip from this site. It was a great tip to!!! Go to the hardware store and get you a can of Through the roof. Man is it great stuff. Just brush it on about 1/8" thick. It dries clear and works unbelievable. So much better that silicone. It really is worth trying. Good luck
Hey Butch quick question about Through the Roof:

1. How many quarts did it take to cover your roof - how long is your motorhome?

2. Did you apply it over the existing caulking or remove the old stuff?

3. In order to get it 1/8" thick how many coats did it take and did you apply with a roller or just a brush?

thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #57

I bought Ultima from Menards..
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #58
Rkh

Thanks midniteoyl..There is one close by me..
Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #59

Ultima Brushable Sealant at Menards

Ultima Roof Sealant at Menards

Tags
motorhome, roof