Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

Well to tell you the truth it doesn't look bad and blends in nicely, in fact a lot of my friends have done the same thing. When I wash the roof it shines just like the roof, you do wash your roof and wax it don't you?

If you talk to Winnebago they will tell you the same thing to use the Eternabond tape. It also helps to hold down the roof.

It would be nice if once in awhile people would believe what others have tried and worked without questioning it. Thanks.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #22
Rkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC
Hi,

Well to tell you the truth it doesn't look bad and blends in nicely, in fact a lot of my friends have done the same thing. When I wash the roof it shines just like the roof, you do wash your roof and wax it don't you?

If you talk to Winnebago they will tell you the same thing to use the Eternabond tape. It also helps to hold down the roof.

It would be nice if once in awhile people would believe what others have tried and worked without questioning it. Thanks.

Wow
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Rkh

- Mom always gave me the old standard line when I told her " all my friends were doing it"..She'd say, "would you follow them if they jumped off a cliff?"

- Winnebago tech. told me to use the specific sealant called out on the spec sheet. No mention of eternabond. Thats not to say I wouldn't use it.
- I would like to see some pictures of Eternabond applied to the edge of the curved fiberglass roof, applied front to rear.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I hear ya but I was looking fo a permant solution I don't like that ladder after a lot a researce I desided on the tape and have not regeted it it does cleanup well and you can't really see it from the ground but it's your call good luck!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

If you go HERE you can get sealant call out sheets for your coach (plus a lot of other info).

I have attached a PDF document that describes how to properly seal the roof joint.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf roof sealant info.pdf (478.0 KB, 186 views)
Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #27
Rkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L
If you go HERE you can get sealant call out sheets for your coach (plus a lot of other info).

I have attached a PDF document that describes how to properly seal the roof joint.
Clay, thanks for the post. I am familiar with Winnebago's spec sheet. Am I correct in noting that it only provides a part number for which you must call Winnebago to find out what it is? That's what I did and was able to find out my coach used various silicone based sealants on the roof.
Also, you mentioned a PDF describing how to seal the roof? I'd love to see that but can't identify the pdf after clicking on your "here" link which takes me to Winnebago.
What am I doing wrong? I know, kick the ball, drag rkh.....
Old 09-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Here is a link to the Winnebago Service Tips about sealing the side wall to roof seam. Hope this helps:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...%20Sealing.pdf
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #29

Here's a thread we have bookmarked that also discusses these issues:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/roof...do-112254.html

We've kept it for reference as some suggest that there are substitutes for the Winnebago sealants. We were especially interested in the OSI QUAD sealant and using the "spline technique" ...take a look at Duner's posts in that thread.

We've considered the Eternabond alternative but feel the compromise would be to use a substitute sealer and apply and regularly inspect as Winnebago recommends. We're planning on doing ours when spring rolls around.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Clay, thanks for the post. I am familiar with Winnebago's spec sheet. Am I correct in noting that it only provides a part number for which you must call Winnebago to find out what it is? That's what I did and was able to find out my coach used various silicone based sealants on the roof.
Also, you mentioned a PDF describing how to seal the roof? I'd love to see that but can't identify the pdf after clicking on your "here" link which takes me to Winnebago.
What am I doing wrong? I know, kick the ball, drag rkh.....
If you are using Vista or Win7 the Roof Sealant info.pdf should be in your Download folder.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #31
Rkh

Thanks Clay, yes, I get the PDF chart detailing the part number used on various parts of the roof..What Im saying is that those part numbers dont mean anything to me without calling Winnebago to find out what they are..Silicone, Urethane, etc...
Old 09-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Thanks Clay, yes, I get the PDF chart detailing the part number used on various parts of the roof..What Im saying is that those part numbers dont mean anything to me without calling Winnebago to find out what they are..Silicone, Urethane, etc...

I have attached a Winnebago sealant description by part number from 2000-2004. Since your coach is a 1998 (?), it should be applicable. Even for our 2007, it's essentially the same sealant (ours is still Sealant A - Winnebago part #072889) and it's a Urethane sealant.

We're thinking that your interpretation that Winnebago is recommending a silicone sealant for the roof edge seam is mistaken. For the roof seam they definitely do NOT recommend a silicone sealant. The silicone sealants on your callout sheet are probably for other seams on your coach that are diagrammed in your callout.

Again, take a look at that thread I posted previously and it will discuss alternatives to the Winnebago part number (which even may be equal to or better than the Winnebago part). It will also discuss why you shouldn't use a silicone sealant on your roof seam.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2000-04 Exterior Sealants.pdf (90.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
Rkh

Thanks Amanda..the Winnebago tech was a bit unsure at best..Urethane on the roof edges makes more sense to me...You said you attached a file to your post? I dont see it..
Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks Amanda..the Winnebago tech was a bit unsure at best..Urethane on the roof edges makes more sense to me...You said you attached a file to your post? I dont see it..
Oh, you don't see it at the bottom of the post?

I'll try to find you a link.

ETA: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...20Sealants.pdf
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #35
Rkh

Thanks Amanda, perfect...
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Give Lichshinn RV in Forest City, Iowa a call. They know what each seam takes and have it stock. You'll have in 2-4 days. I give my seams a look BEFORE winter even though I to to Florida Nov-May. Leak and freeze definitely NOT a good idea.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Give Lichshinn RV in Forest City, Iowa a call. They know what each seam takes and have it stock. You'll have in 2-4 days. I give my seams a look BEFORE winter even though I to to Florida Nov-May. Leak and freeze definitely NOT a good idea.
Thanx Sir, Awesome info I checked out there site and I'm sure they can answer any questions now and in the future. Thank you, Jim & Dee
Roadhouse45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

sealant

I got the tip from this site. It was a great tip to!!! Go to the hardware store and get you a can of Through the roof. Man is it great stuff. Just brush it on about 1/8" thick. It dries clear and works unbelievable. So much better that silicone. It really is worth trying. Good luck
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #39

Or 'Ultima' from GeoCell..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #40
Rkh

flying butch, midniteoyl, but you need to remove the existing silicone, right?

Tags
motorhome, roof