Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Okay. I have now moved from the position of not much caring for my motoraid system as too too much heat radiated through the kitchen when weather was warm.

Now I like it fine. The change? I added a heater control valve in the supply line. I can now shut it off when I don't want the heat. And open it when I do (like leaving Florida last week, brrrr) want the heat.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: After having motorhomes with overheating engine problems, I think the best thing about motoraid systems is the hugh reserve of excess cooling it proides for the engine. We sometimes work the engine very hard on steep grades, but we don't worry about overheating.

I guess I would make sure it is active in hot weather and in the winter it is just a plus for heating.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ok Im confused. Isnt the motoraid heater controled by a hi/low/off switch on the dash. If its to hot cant it be turned down or off. Maybe I dont understand the question.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The dash switch controls the fan speed, there is a flap that is designed to open with the fan on. There is coolant going through the core at all times, it is possible for the flap to remain open and allow heated air through at all times.

I've not had this problem, but know of several who have. It seems the easiest fix is the cut off valve mentioned.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My understanding of Motoraid is it's what heats your domestic hot water as you are traveling. Therefore, when you stop for the day or during a reat stop you have hot water.
The heat you seem to be refering to is the coach heat that comes throught the floor on gasers. Which is controlled by a fan switch on the dash, High/Low and off. Check your owners manual.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by BBBEEBOP:
My understanding of Motoraid is it's what heats your domestic hot water as you are traveling.
BBBEEBOP, Actually the systems are interconnected.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

not on a DP
Old 02-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

DriVer,

Have 2008 Voyage with Motoraid. Questions. As I drive down the highway with NO water in fresh tank/water heater(less weight/better mpg) I have (2) questions.

Am I doing damage to water heater with NO water in water heater?

If I am doing no damage is the motoraid system still putting out heat I can use my turning on dash fans(not engine heat fans) ?

Thanks.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You have a very good question and here is the response I received from Atwood and Winnebago.

No problem with no water in the unit and yes you do get the heating for the coach.

I drove our 02 Adventurer for 60,000 miles and operated it occasionally without water in the water heater with no problems.

The only issue I ever had was with the blower that needed to be replaced.

Hope this helps
Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The heat I had was radiant heat from the coolant hoses running through the kitchen cabinets. The hoses enter the coach just after the entry door, do their thing and return. The on/off switch merely controls the fan unit. The valve I installed controls the coolant flow through the system.

It appears from comments that either my unit is plumbed differently or I am more sensitive to the heat.

The valve worked perfectly. There was no residual heat buildup with the valve closed.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

All coaches are delivered with no water in the system. Thus no water heater damage is caused by no water in the tank.

And you will still receive heat from the axillary heat system.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadRohrers:
The heat I had was radiant heat from the coolant hoses running through the kitchen cabinets. The hoses enter the coach just after the entry door, do their thing and return. The on/off switch merely controls the fan unit. The valve I installed controls the coolant flow through the system.

It appears from comments that either my unit is plumbed differently or I am more sensitive to the heat.

The valve worked perfectly. There was no residual heat buildup with the valve closed.
RoadRohrers;

Your heater hoses are routed through your kitchen cabinets? What model and year Winnebago do you own??

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

TheRVGuy

Mike:

Thanks for the response/research. Have only had coach since 5/08 and took (3) weekenders in PA 6/08 and one (3) weeker 11/08 to SC/NC from MD. Grandson born 12/26 and we are hanging out in MD, we become extended timers from 3/1-7/4, spend 7/09-8/09 with mother-in-law and then out to winter over in NV 9/09-4/10. SO, the more I learn, thr happier I become.

I personally like the idea of the motoraid system as expressed by others like auxillary heat for the coach when traveling, pre-heating coach prior to arrival to save on propane, and using the motoraid coils to act as a second engine radiator to keep engine running cooler.

I've learned more on this site in (2) months than the (15) (yes 15 times) I read the operations manual and the systems tech manual. I hope to someday return the favors to the folks who have helped me.

NAVYBLUE

2008 Winnie Voyage (1 each)

2008 Toyota Tacoma (1 each)

1948 Smart wife (1 each)

Spending my kids inheritance one day at a time
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote