Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Motor Home slide rubber gasket lube

I've been worked on and been around vehicles all my life (so far) and any time you look at the door, hood and trunk gaskets there is always a white powder on them. It's almost like baby powder. It may be a mold release compound from the manufacturer process. If it is OK. Can we get some so the gaskets won't squeak when the powder is gone?? As we travel down the road I hear squeaking noises coming from the slide areas (3) that move as you hit bumps. I know 303 is a great rubber conditioner and does provide a lubricating quality but since they come from the factory with a dry powder protectant & lube why not use that??

I realize the gaskets might get wet when it rains, so what. Rubber liquid lubes don't stop the squeaks but something like baby powder or a real rubber lube might.

Does anybody know of a good dry powder product that can be applied (sprayed atomized) to slide sealing gaskets to provide lubrication so the gaskets won't squeak when traveling???

Thanks,
TeJay
Old 10-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I know this is not what you want to hear but I use Winnebago recommended 303 and have never had a squeaking problem. I am a fulltime so sit a lot but also travel 7-10k a year.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Does anybody know of a good dry powder product that can be applied (sprayed atomized) to slide sealing gaskets to provide lubrication so the gaskets won't squeak when traveling???

Thanks,
TeJay
Does Gillette still make "Soft & Dry with baby powder" spray deodorant? I used it to find cracks in engine and transmission cases. Degreased and cleaned the area real good, sprayed it on, drove around the block, then looked for a wet area.

I still have a can of it from the 70s that's going in my MH.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I was told by Winnebago Cust SV to use cornstarch on all rubber gaskets. It sounded strange to me, but I did and never had a problem. It does not attract dirt, dust etc and works just fine as a lube. On the long gasket across the top of the slide, I filled an old sock with corn starch, attached it to a broom handle and swabbed the top gasket, it worked just fine.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replays. Actually the DW suggested the corn starch but I thought it might cake up when it got wet.

Hey if your idea for using 303 works who am I to say it won't work. I just thought that a dry powder would allow slipping instead of squeaking but if 303 does the same thing then it's worth a shot.

If I try the powder I like the idea of the stick with an old sock on it. I hadn't looked yet but I realized that getting to those areas might be a problem.

Here's what I'm going to try. First 303 because I know it's a great rubber preservative and treatment. If it's still noisy then maybe some baby power or the starch. I like the smell of the BP so maybe that first.

Thanks,
TeJay
Old 10-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use baby powder and apply with a insect duster like this https://www.earthworkshealth.com/det...=9&prod=PP-001
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Anything that contains petroleum distillates will kill rubber. I used 303 on dry suit seals which are thin and they turned to mush. Silicone is safe as long as there is NO petroleum mixed in. Armorall has last time I checked the MSDS sheet no petroleum and does contain silicone.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I can't stand the smell of baby power. Co-worker used to come to work smelling like it every day. Guess you can tell I never had kids.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I've been worked on and been around vehicles all my life (so far) and any time you look at the door, hood and trunk gaskets there is always a white powder on them. It's almost like baby powder. It may be a mold release compound from the manufacturer process. If it is OK. Can we get some so the gaskets won't squeak when the powder is gone?? As we travel down the road I hear squeaking noises coming from the slide areas (3) that move as you hit bumps. I know 303 is a great rubber conditioner and does provide a lubricating quality but since they come from the factory with a dry powder protectant & lube why not use that??

I realize the gaskets might get wet when it rains, so what. Rubber liquid lubes don't stop the squeaks but something like baby powder or a real rubber lube might.

Thanks,
TeJay
i use protect-all from wally world on my slide out seals.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

napa 8300 dry silicone works great for slide seals. paul smith from 3t's also sells a great
dry silicone spray. hes the guy that does the seminars at winnebago rallies.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, slide