Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Today I finally got my MH to a repair shop for the Motor Aid Heater. When the Tech removed the complete heater assembly the fan motor was locked tight. The fan would not turn and finally it moved on the shaft, but the motor did not move.

The fan, motor, coil and internal areas of the unit did not even have a build up of dirt. It looked like the day it was installed.

I purchased the unit in 06, exactly 2 years to the date after the original owner. The first time I went to use the heater it made an awful noise. Recently the unit stopped working and the fuse would blow if you touched the dash switch.

Based on what I saw today, WGO should look into the earlier coaches and offer some relief for the repair. Poor Vendor product.

I really like the Motor Aid Hot Water Heater and hopefully will now get to enjoy the Heater when needed. I live in the south so I do not need it often.

I would like to know if others have/had the same issue.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There have been a number of folks who have reported noisey fan motors or fan quit working. I like my motor aid feature and make a point of running mine often. So far I have had no problems in four years.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Probably a minority opinion, but I do not care for the Motoraid feature. In the 35J, just adds too much heat to the cabin under kitchen cabinets. As I, too, primarily travel in the south, it has been a problem during most of my warm weather travel.

I am adding a manual heater control valve into the line and stop the circulation through the motoraid system. Will probably still turn on the fan monthly as I remember just to keep working.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have an 06 35U model ..and live in SD. I love mine...keeps the bedroom...bath and living area warm when traveling on the road in Fall or Spring. I believe the key to all is turn it on a short while at least every three trips to keep the fan and bearings free and self lubed.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by becks:
There have been a number of folks who have reported noisey fan motors or fan quit working. I like my motor aid feature and make a point of running mine often. So far I have had no problems in four years.
& pubtym, I'm in agreement, we just love ours. It can be a bit noisey but the comfort out weighs the noise. I do excerise the motor often and, "Knock on Wood" have not have any problems with the system after 7.5 years of ownership. This system also heats the basement, great for cold weather driving.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

We had out Coach Heater replaced at the GNR last year >"before"< the great disaster!

We really like our motoraid coach heater and it keeps us nice and toasty. With temperatures expected to be in the 30s while driving down to Florida later this week one of the first systems that I will turn on will be the coach heater.

We had the very same fuse blow out problem however it was reported to us that the motor itself was seized.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The motor aid heat system was a big factor in my purchasing a Winny product. I could not keep the Bounder warm going south in the winter. However, like many of you the fan makes a lot of noise when starting for a few minutes. Then it quiets down and is a big plus.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We had a similar problem with ours. It was noisy due to the fan rubbing on the case. It was not yet blowing fuses. Others had reported that the fan was slipping out or in on the motor shaft. Upon removal it was determined that the shaft was loose in the armature. Finding no sure way to secure the fan shaft in the armature we replaced it. The new motor assembly includes a pre-installed fan on the shaft. It now works good.
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Two speeds on mine. High...as with most other fans...is audible. Low speed very quiet. Adjust temp on mine with main heater temp control.
Pets love it too. Prewarms the coach enroute to RON stop. Less waiting time and propane expense on arrival for coach to come up to comfortable level with gas heater. Enroute comfort stops very agreeable with motor aid still running while at pit stop.. Excellent feature..
Old 01-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

When we had our 01 Adventurer. Motor froze up and I never had it fixed. Did not use much to start with.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by rvten:
When we had our 01 Adventurer. Motor froze up and I never had it fixed. Did not use much to start with.
Yup...my take is: a little exercise...like the heart...generally keeps things working regularly.

I'll briefly (5-10 min) turn on my dash A/C in winter...just to tell the A/C condenser/compressor I love it...and to hold fast till summer..then I'll be knocking on her door.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadRohrers:
Probably a minority opinion, but I do not care for the Motoraid feature. In the 35J, just adds too much heat to the cabin under kitchen cabinets.
As another 35J owner I'll say we love ours, keeps the kids/dogs warm on the low setting great. We usually open the vent in the bathroom which helps move some air around while driving. I do wish the duct blew into the normal heater duct work though, to spread the head throughout the RV.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a 33 2003 and it is also having trouble with noise and blowing the fuse. How much does it cost to have it repaired? Mine has been giving trouble for awhile. Poor Parts.

Richard
WINNE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

We ran our Motor Aid Heater on I-95 South O/S Temps were in the low 50s and high 40s and it was hot in here so much that I had to turn the thing off. My DW asked me to turn it off she said it was too hot in here. Now this woman is usually cold so I know this thing works!

Even on the low speed setting over a period of time it pumps out a lot of heat. On high - fuggetaboutit!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

my motoraid made a lot of noise when i got the moho. it would work if i started it in high, then switched to low. then it started blowing the fuse. the same fuse that the back-up monitor system uses.
i disconnected the motoraid at the dash switch and it is on my long term deferred maintenance list to fix the blower to keep it from hitting the housing.
there is a thread on this forum that discusses how to access the blower and how to epoxy the impeller shaft to keep it from moving and hitting the housing.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Is the heater blower accessable easily? If so, what are the basic steps. Is it inside or outside workable?

Mine is an '02, 35U Itasca.

Thanks

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Coaches differ, I have a 01 32-V and the motor aid is almost dead in the middle of the coach behind the water heater. Some talk of an inspection plate that allows access,through the belly pan. Mine does not have said plate. One would have to pull the HWH or find a service guy that is small enough to squeeze through a very narrow access in HWH compartment.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Just like Homer sezs, on my model, remove the HWH. No service guy small enough, it's one of those take a flashlight and through a 6" wide opening at the read of the HWH you can see it, but that's as far as it goes.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by DriVer:
We ran our Motor Aid Heater on I-95 South O/S Temps were in the low 50s and high 40s and it was hot in here so much that I had to turn the thing off. My DW asked me to turn it off she said it was too hot in here. Now this woman is usually cold so I know this thing works!

Even on the low speed setting over a period of time it pumps out a lot of heat. On high - fuggetaboutit!
OK..outside air here in South Dakota is -15F.
High speed is fine thanks!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Hamguy On my 04, 32V the heater is mounted behind the water heater. If you look on your floor right at the doghouse it will be directly below the floor vent.
To reach it on my coach you remove the bulkhead with the water pump mounted on it, you can then access the unit.
You must remove some piping from the HWH to get in. I am rather big and I can reach it but a smaller person is best.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote