Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

More slide out woes

So, we have put less than 500 miles on our 2015 Sightseer 30A. Those have ALL been driving between home (Durango, CO and the dealer in Albuquerque, NM). First time "camping" we were unable to retract the large slide. Fortunately, we were across the street from the dealer. Their techs came and we managed to push the slide in with three people. Winnebago assessment was that the entire slide assembly had to be replaced. We got the new assembly installed last week and you guessed it, the slide worked fine 8 times, then would not retract completely. Spent a day at the dealer on the phone with Winnebago, with no luck. MH is sitting outside the house now. We leave Sunday for Forest City to have the manufacturer fix it. Down side: When I called Winnebago, the earliest they could "fit us in" was August 10th. Unsatisfactory, so we plan to campout in their parking lot until we can get it fixed. They told us we'd probably have to wait 3-4 days to be seen. We are very disappointed. Have owned this rig seven months and stayed in it one night. BTW, yes, we did read the books, leveled the rig and had engine running and emer. brake engaged BEFORE pushing slides out.

There, got that off my chest. Now on to Iowa, and hopefully a fix.
mtnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

There is sometimes a learning curve when you get a new coach. I can't tell you how many times I have let something get caught in a slide. I would do a careful retract of the slide while watching to see it is binds around a particular point.

You will learn the new rig eventually but it will always outsmart you with new opportunities.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

So sorry to hear of your slide troubles. Glad you are on your way to get it fixed. Safe travels
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Not reassuring news as I went through this same thing with my large slide. It was fixed and so far has been operating perfectly.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfan View Post
So, we have put less than 500 miles on our 2015 Sightseer 30A. Those have ALL been driving between home (Durango, CO and the dealer in Albuquerque, NM). First time "camping" we were unable to retract the large slide. Fortunately, we were across the street from the dealer. Their techs came and we managed to push the slide in with three people. Winnebago assessment was that the entire slide assembly had to be replaced. We got the new assembly installed last week and you guessed it, the slide worked fine 8 times, then would not retract completely. Spent a day at the dealer on the phone with Winnebago, with no luck. MH is sitting outside the house now. We leave Sunday for Forest City to have the manufacturer fix it. Down side: When I called Winnebago, the earliest they could "fit us in" was August 10th. Unsatisfactory, so we plan to campout in their parking lot until we can get it fixed. They told us we'd probably have to wait 3-4 days to be seen. We are very disappointed. Have owned this rig seven months and stayed in it one night. BTW, yes, we did read the books, leveled the rig and had engine running and emer. brake engaged BEFORE pushing slides out.

There is only one good thing about your situation. Winnebago at their service center will get it fixed even if they have to rebuild the whole coach. Any other items on your punch list they will take care of at the same time.

They want you to leave there happy and will take care of you. (I've been there myself on some minor items.)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2007 Winnebago Voyage and had a huge problem with my kitchen slide out. Was in the shop for many weeks with them talking to Winnebago. This happened in 2008 and my coach was out of warranty but Winnebago continued to work with this dealer until the dealer said NO MORE, they couldn't fix it. They said they replaced wiring, motors, etc. But this dealer does not have a very good reputation for fixing things anyway I found out later. I finally had them just hard wire a control and it lives in my outside bay. My slide works every time BUT this is just not ideal but I am very afraid to see about getting it fixed again as I need it to go in AND out HA HA

I live in Oregon so going to the factory is just not in the cards. I hope you have better luck getting it fixed than I did.

Karen
OregonLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I wonder. When you buy a new motorhome, and have to return it multiple times to the dealer or factory, do they reimburse you for fuel or lost time? Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Does Colorado have a Lemon Law? If they don't get it fixed for good this time, I'd be inclined to leave it there and tell them to work it out with your lawyer.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
I wonder. When you buy a new motorhome, and have to return it multiple times to the dealer or factory, do they reimburse you for fuel or lost time? Eddie Elk.
Usually not.
But we got "lucky" in that WA law requires they manufacturer pay for any travel costs if the unit needs to be moved over 100 miles for warranty service and Newmar was 2200 miles one way. Kept track of the fuel used getting there and they gave me a check for double the amount.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfan View Post

So, we're on day two in the shop in Forest City. They have not fully addressed the slide out problem, but think perhaps the opening is not plumb. I was told if the opening is more than 3mm, out of spec, the slide assembly will fail. They have addressed many other smaller issues, but we're committed to staying here as long as it takes. BTW, the Winnebago folks seem pleasant and eager to get it fixed. so far, so good.
mtnfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out