Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

More questions

Some more questions. How often do you wash/wax your rv? I have seen products called an RV wash and wax. Is it truly a wax? Do I wash the rv with the slide out or in? How often should I lube the slide seals and what do I use? Finally, I have wheel covers that I need to remove to check tire pressure and add air. Do I just pry off with a screwdriver? I don't see any notches on the fake bolts to indicate they are removed.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom. I'm getting hooked into this RV thing.
Heyheyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I wash mine once a year at least sometimes more depending on how dirty it gets, as for wax i'v only waxed the nose to help protect against bugs, the slide seal I use Star brite Premium RV Rubber Seal Conditioner & Protectant you can get it off amazon, just a personal thing every one has there own choices. as for the wheel covers no clue on that one.. i'm running the TST 07 flow through sensors, comes with a color monitor for on the dash, Hope this helps. remember shiny side up
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyheyjj View Post
Some more questions. How often do you wash/wax your rv? I have seen products called an RV wash and wax. Is it truly a wax? Do I wash the rv with the slide out or in? How often should I lube the slide seals and what do I use? Finally, I have wheel covers that I need to remove to check tire pressure and add air. Do I just pry off with a screwdriver? I don't see any notches on the fake bolts to indicate they are removed.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom. I'm getting hooked into this RV thing.
Heyheyjj,
Washing and waxing is a perogative/choice/need. Some won't touch their rigs and use options like Blue Beacon, mobile detailers and more. Some use a dry wash. I'd say that, in a years time, I probably wash mine about 6-8 times, all depending on the circumstances. Obviously if it gets dirty from rainy driving, even though I may have washed it maybe the day before or a few days before, I may have to wash it again. Of course, if more rain is in the forecast, well then things get postponed.

But, it's one of those things that's kind of a pride thing for me. I don't have any problem washing it a more than needed if conditions warrant it. Now, waxing, that's a different animal. Our big beast gets waxed around twice a year or so. Or, when I feel like it. It's a full body painted coach and, it resides INDOORS when not in use. So, because of that, the protection from the elements is prolonged between wax jobs. But, just because it's protected, it still needs wax to preserve it's beautiful finish, when it leaves its cave. And I've used multiple kinds and brands of wax.

NONE of them last, no matter who says what. It's a given that time, the elements, rain, dust and more, simply decay any protection afforded by ANY wax, no matter how much one pays for it. For the last couple of years, I've been using MeGuiar's cleaner wax. Seems about as good as the rest of them. Plus the coach "smells" good as well as looks great when done.

As for the sides of the slides, well, depending, some are in way more than they are out. Others are out, way more than they are in so, based on your own operations, you'll have to determine just what kind of time and effort is spent on the slide sides. As for your wheel covers, well, not sure which ones you have but, for an RV, you should NEVER have to remove wheel covers just to check air pressure.

You need to find a way to alleviate that situation. Either get new wheel covers that provide access to all tire valves or, make access available to them with your present ones. You should be able to walk up and check any and all tire pressures without labor or any extra curricular activities. Keep the questions coming, we're all here to help.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Car, moho and dinghy all get washed monthly or as needed. For sure, Miss Winnie gets a good washing within a day or two of being backed into her berth following a trip. We explore many a dirt road.

I enjoy washing our machines, but detest waxing them. We take a long spring trip, a long fall trip and several week-or-so's in between. Miss Winnie gets waxed prior to spring trip and following fall trip. Am waxing her now. Some will call it sacrilege, but I use whatever wax Pep Boys sends me a coupon for. Using Turtle Wax paste this time. Used Meguires last spring, Blue Coral before that. It all works. Wipe it on, buff it off with my power buffer. I can only maintain interest for a couple of hours, so do front and stern caps one day, half of one side another day and so on.

I usually get after the slide seals twice a year. I wait 'til we are on the road so the drips don't stain our concrete driveway. Oops! Sacrilege again.

No reason to drive on the bottom half of your tank, no reason not to shine if you can.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote