Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Here's a update on my previous venting about adhesive failures on my 04 Meridian. I removed one of the small steel angles on the upper part of the radiator access door and found something interesting. The part of the angle that was fastened to the frame by screws was unpainted and acid etched. The part of the angle that was glued to the fiberglass was painted high-gloss. Obviously a mistake. I noticed the two screw holes were punched in the acid-etched side, so the assembler had no choice but to install it incorrectly. Murphy's law prevails at Winnebago!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Here's a update on my previous venting about adhesive failures on my 04 Meridian. I removed one of the small steel angles on the upper part of the radiator access door and found something interesting. The part of the angle that was fastened to the frame by screws was unpainted and acid etched. The part of the angle that was glued to the fiberglass was painted high-gloss. Obviously a mistake. I noticed the two screw holes were punched in the acid-etched side, so the assembler had no choice but to install it incorrectly. Murphy's law prevails at Winnebago!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catpowered:
Here's a update on my previous venting about adhesive failures on my 04 Meridian. I removed one of the small steel angles on the upper part of the radiator access door and found something interesting. The part of the angle that was fastened to the frame by screws was unpainted and acid etched. The part of the angle that was glued to the fiberglass was painted high-gloss. Obviously a mistake. I noticed the two screw holes were punched in the acid-etched side, so the assembler had no choice but to install it incorrectly. Murphy's law prevails at Winnebago! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gosh...what a significant problem and Murphy' law issue you found..if you keep looking..you'll find more too..
Old 09-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yup - things happen

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

One more thing about the radiator access door - take a close look at the latch stand-offs, especially where they contact the door when closed. On mine, the standoff contacted the fiberglass part of the door.

When properly adjusted and latched, pressure was applied to the fiberglass instead of the door frame. Moving the stand-off inboard remedied the situation. Stainless screws ensured the frame and fiberglass continued down the road together.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Yup - things happen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup...some owners' think they bought a giant Swiss watch..
Old 09-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes, things do happen. I would venture to guess that there hasn't been a RV, from pop up to class A, produced that doesn't need a tweak here and there. Go get dirty, it'll all get better.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lthrnk:
Yes, things do happen. I would venture to guess that there hasn't been a RV, from pop up to class A, produced that doesn't need a tweak here and there. Go get dirty, it'll all get better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I did. I removed the louvered access door from the coach, took it in the garage and disassembled it. Most the parts just fell off including one hinge. After roughing up all glued sides with a course wire brush on my drill and cleaning with alcohol, I applied liberal coats of J B Weld on both surfaces. After clamping it all together and letting it set up over night, I shall put it back on the coach. Yup, stuff happens.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catpowered:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lthrnk:
Yes, things do happen. I would venture to guess that there hasn't been a RV, from pop up to class A, produced that doesn't need a tweak here and there. Go get dirty, it'll all get better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I did. I removed the louvered access door from the coach, took it in the garage and disassembled it. Most the parts just fell off including one hinge. After roughing up all glued sides with a course wire brush on my drill and cleaning with alcohol, I applied liberal coats of J B Weld on both surfaces. After clamping it all together and letting it set up over night, I shall put it back on the coach. Yup, stuff happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonderful...a happy ending story!
Old 09-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Exactly what I did. I removed the louvered access door from the coach, took it in the garage and disassembled it. Most the parts just fell off including one hinge. After roughing up all glued sides with a course wire brush on my drill and cleaning with alcohol, I applied liberal coats of J B Weld on both surfaces. After clamping it all together and letting it set up over night, I shall put it back on the coach. Yup, stuff happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You da man Cat...or are you the Cat??? Either Ither , have fun and great trips.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information. The same thing happened to me today...I'm on my way to the hardware store to buy some JB Weld. Thanks.

Doug, Marilyn, Benny & Doodles
powermower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red T:
One more thing about the radiator access door - take a close look at the latch stand-offs, especially where they contact the door when closed. On mine, the standoff contacted the fiberglass part of the door.

When properly adjusted and latched, pressure was applied to the fiberglass instead of the door frame. Moving the stand-off inboard remedied the situation. Stainless screws ensured the frame and fiberglass continued down the road together. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is Great Advice!! After re-installing the door I checked the latches. The left latch was putting excessive pressure on the fiberglass panel, pulling it away from the metal frame. This is the area where the adhesive failed. The right latch was loose and the adhesive on that side of the door was fine. My advice to any 04 Meridian or Journey owners, CHECK YOUR LATCHES!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I agree that Winnebago has many places that need tweaking, which I have found and either adjusted, replaced, or fastened more securely - but having your radiator door or front generator access door practically fall off due to poor gluing is just a little bit beyond tweaking. Thanks to all who report their problems on this forum I have been able to address mine before anything drastic happened.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote