Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Im really getting tired of having my Winnebago coming unglued. The other day my wife came in the house with a bracket she found beneath the drivers side front bumper.
Its roughly 12in. long, 2in. wide, has two 1 3/8in. threaded studs welded to it and no nuts found anywhere.
What is it? I dont know but there is another one identical attached to the opposite side at the bottom of the front cap.
Nothing attached to it so I assume it was intended for some add-on accessory. The coach has set there for about a month now with only the generator run a couple of times, maybe that caused it to drop off. The other bracket seems to be tight but Ill remove that before I leave next week. If that sucker fell off while under way it could have done untold damage to anyone of the tires.
Under further scrutiny I found one of the main attachment points for the front cap is also no longer performing its intended purpose (of holding the thing together).
Whats up Winnebago? Anything being done about this crap? Are you going to fix this stuff?
I know the answer. Even if it were still under the structural warranty the front and rear caps are not structure related. Thats what Ive been told in the past, so I guess some day we can buy these things without the dressing. Im sure they could sell a lot of those.
Some out there may think Im ragging about the Winnebago assembly techniques. Youre right on. Anyone out there want to pay $250,000.00 for a rig that has parts falling off? If so, send me a PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by C Zimm:
Im really getting tired of having my Winnebago coming unglued. The other day my wife came in the house with a bracket she found beneath the drivers side front bumper.
Its roughly 12in. long, 2in. wide, has two 1 3/8in. threaded studs welded to it and no nuts found anywhere.
What is it? I dont know but there is another one identical attached to the opposite side at the bottom of the front cap.
Nothing attached to it so I assume it was intended for some add-on accessory. The coach has set there for about a month now with only the generator run a couple of times, maybe that caused it to drop off. The other bracket seems to be tight but Ill remove that before I leave next week. If that sucker fell off while under way it could have done untold damage to anyone of the tires.
Under further scrutiny I found one of the main attachment points for the front cap is also no longer performing its intended purpose (of holding the thing together).
Whats up Winnebago? Anything being done about this crap? Are you going to fix this stuff?
I know the answer. Even if it were still under the structural warranty the front and rear caps are not structure related. Thats what Ive been told in the past, so I guess some day we can buy these things without the dressing. Im sure they could sell a lot of those.
Some out there may think Im ragging about the Winnebago assembly techniques. Youre right on. Anyone out there want to pay $250,000.00 for a rig that has parts falling off? If so, send me a PM.
I can sympsthize with you as I had different hood related brackets come off (3) different times in a month or so. In my case, the metal brackets had been painted for whatever reason before they were expoxied to the fiberglass coach body. Fortunately Winnie paid for each repair as a goodwill gesture but agreed that the metal part that attached to the fiberglass should not have been painted. When I took the coach back for the third time, I instructed the dealer to attach/paint stainless steel screws to the brackets. So far so good. I also agree that it's pretty sad on the quality control or lack of that we see today.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Zimm,

Our Horizon has the same two brackets at the outboard lower edge of the front cap. I see no purpose for them and if mine were to come off, Id just throw them away (or sell as scrap metal at a penny a pound). Ive repaired both front and rear cap bracket connections, as well as the front and rear access doors with 3M Scotch Weld # DP460NS. This stuff is tough! Sand the bracket attachment area and if possible, drill a few holes in the part before bonding.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am parked next to a nice looking recent model Meridian ... today I noticed that there are several clusters of 4 side-by-side slot-head stainless screws all over the rear of the coach, both on the engine access door and on the separate lower portion/bumper. There are probably two clusters on the engine access door, and around 10 or so clusters on the bumper up and down the center and the passenger side. It does look like the bumper may have been slightly damaged (pushed inward), which may be what caused the adhesive to come loose. But there has to be a more attractive fix!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

When I recently had some body damage repaired on my rig at a local auto body shop (I was their first motorhome), the work involved R & R of the rear lower panel. Several of the factory glued attachments had given way but the folks at the shop re-attached with an adhesive that they guarenteed would hold. It was some sort of epoxy.

My generator access door is getting loose so I may just have those folks re-attach it. Their repair and painting on my rig was outstanding.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

smlranger, When I had a problem with my generator access door, I tried several different products but they failed. Eventually I used a two part epoxy called JB Weld. Have not had a problem since.

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Information provided me via factory is that the brackets sole purpose is for handling the front cap during manufacturing. We can therefore throw them away. I removed the other bracket to prevent indiscriminate departure with possible tire damage.
Yes, I still love my coach and believe Winnebago does many things correct. However they do need to rethink recurring problems such as roof and body attachment.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

C Zimm we have basically the same coach and the same problem. Plastic body panels fall off. The last straw for me was a 5th wheel following me radioed me with his CB and said my engine compartment door just flew off. I have use SS machine bolts with SS finish washers to try and keep things from departing
Old 03-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Our 2004 Meridian suffered from this problem as well. I decided to do something and used a premium polyurethane construction adhesive (PL, I think -- from Lowes). I took the panel off, cleaned the surfaces, glued and clamped it overnight. Worked great and was very strong.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have written a number of times on this subject. I have had the factory glue, the dealership glue and I have ended up gluing things as well.
I guess if we own one of these we should do an inspection every six months along with roof inspection. Oops; foregot, I applied Eternabond on that.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I refastened the generstor door and most of points on the lower part of the rear cap using gorilla glue. Simply wet the entire area and squirted lots of the gorilla glue into the area. The glue foams and expands and is absolutley tight and looked like it would last forever.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I agree that the workmanship and quality control of Winnebego's is questionable. Have fixed many problems on my 08 Ellipse. We should expect quality for the money we pay for these diesel pushers. I expect that the workmanship and QC will farther deteriorate with the economic downturn and money saving incentives at the factory.
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
I agree that the workmanship and quality control of Winnebego's is questionable. Have fixed many problems on my 08 Ellipse. We should expect quality for the money we pay for these diesel pushers. I expect that the workmanship and QC will farther deteriorate with the economic downturn and money saving incentives at the factory.
Actually, unless a manufacturer/vendor has literally lost their mind, I would think quality would get more attention in these times. I know I have noticed an increase in the friendliness/helpfulness of employees in a number of retail businesses locally....Lowe's, Home Depot, Food Lion, etc. I think folks are realizing that they need every customer they can get and treating them better is a good thing. It is a shame that it would take a serious economic downturn for businesses to understand this basic principle.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I too, have had to re-glue the brackets and hinges back on the rear engine access door. Nothing yet on the front generator access door but I'm watching it very close. I was utterly flabergasted to learn that my 2 yr-old $200,000 motorhome had to be glued back together when the brackets broke loose. Didn't know I had purchased a put-together kit like a model airplane. I haven't followed any other brand RV forums but wonder how many others are litterly glued together.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I also had the failing glue issues, Billy Mayes came to the rescue with Mighty Putty. Take them up on the double order special. I putty'ed all of the metal to fiberglass joints on the coach, even those not loose. I have had no problems since. Hey Cliff give me a ring and I'll drive out and give you a hand.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I finally went to stainless steel button head screws. No more problems.

Charlie Tuit
2002 Journey
111,000 miles
XR-7 Toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

This adhesive failure seems to be limited to the 2004 and 2005 models. I have a 04 Meridian and have had to re-glue the rear engine access door. I used JB Weld and it has worked great. Winnebago is probably living day-to-day now and a few parts falling off their 04 and 05 coaches is the least of their problems.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

When they find out the owners of those 2004/2005 glued-together units start up-grading, which many of us will probably be doing in the next couple of years, and are looking at other brands it may not be the least of their worries then.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Zimm View Post
I have written a number of times on this subject. I have had the factory glue, the dealership glue and I have ended up gluing things as well.
I guess if we own one of these we should do an inspection every six months along with roof inspection. Oops; foregot, I applied Eternabond on that.
Hey C Zimm, I got a question for you.....
Regarding the Eternabond you put on your roof seam .... as I remember you had it painted to match the coach. I was wondering how it looks now after a couple of years? ... or has it only been one year? Has the paint held up well?

Happy trails,
Bill
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: This problem really applies to almost all WI coaches. Hood latches and fenders are all held on with adhesive on our 2000 Suncruiser. Noticed one fender has broken loose. I'll put metal filled epoxy (JB weld) as soon as we get rid of the bad weather. (4 inches of snow this morning)
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote