Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

'03 Joourney DL

This spring the AC compressor wouldn't come on, bad start capacitor, all fixed.

Developed a new issue the past couple of days. Well it might be longer than that, keep it plugged in with heat on in the winter and AC in the summer. Now the #1 AC system doesn't cool like it used to. The air coming out of the vents isn't near as cool as it used to be and no water dripping out from the unit. If the inside temp goes high enough for the #2 unit to kick on, it cools just fine, water (condensation) dripping out and all. Don't write things down but think that the amp draw on unt #1 isn't as high as it used to be.
Suspect that I might be a little low on freon. Thoughts, idead, comments?
Don't have gauges, freon so wil probably have to find someone to help me out on this. An automotive AC person or home expert? What type of freon do they use in these things? 22?
Are unit #1 and #2 complete seperate systems or do they share freon.
I hate it when things go wrong on this thing, ends up costing and I have to re-educate myself on how the systems work. Get that and I'll have to tackle the surround sound system next. That never did work right from day 1.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

'03 Joourney DL

This spring the AC compressor wouldn't come on, bad start capacitor, all fixed.

Developed a new issue the past couple of days. Well it might be longer than that, keep it plugged in with heat on in the winter and AC in the summer. Now the #1 AC system doesn't cool like it used to. The air coming out of the vents isn't near as cool as it used to be and no water dripping out from the unit. If the inside temp goes high enough for the #2 unit to kick on, it cools just fine, water (condensation) dripping out and all. Don't write things down but think that the amp draw on unt #1 isn't as high as it used to be.
Suspect that I might be a little low on freon. Thoughts, idead, comments?
Don't have gauges, freon so wil probably have to find someone to help me out on this. An automotive AC person or home expert? What type of freon do they use in these things? 22?
Are unit #1 and #2 complete seperate systems or do they share freon.
I hate it when things go wrong on this thing, ends up costing and I have to re-educate myself on how the systems work. Get that and I'll have to tackle the surround sound system next. That never did work right from day 1.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not that I know what the problem is, but doesn't the 2003 Journey DL have basement air.
Normally a residential air conditioner person can diagnose these problems. I'm pretty sure of one thing you won't find a AC cover on the roof if you have basement air.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I know that on my basement air(operating on gen.)
when the second comp. comes on line, the amp.
draw on the first comp. goes down by 2 amps.

So I assume that both compressors are ganged
together on the same system. TENN.

But we all know the problem with ASSUMED!!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

good luck on finding a reg ac man to work on this unit. maybe if you pull it out for him. im having the same problem with mine. i only have 14 to 17 degrees diff btween supply and return. the coldest i can get it is 84 to 86 degrees. when both comp cut in it draws about 22 amps. i checked the supply duck from under the mh and it seems to be ok.(if it came loose or had a blow out i dont know how it could be fixed unless you took the rear panel off. what a design). so i dont know whats going on. the closest shop is about 2 hours from home which means a total of 4 trips to hopefully get it fixed. why would winn build these units with hardly no support to get service. it seems in the last year things have started to break down. i have heard a lot of good things about newmar, has anyone else?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

As far as AC cooling couldn't be better. In fact just about everything couldn't be better its been a great summer.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

do they use basement air?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yes

Basement air
Old 08-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

no more basement air for me!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

And today it started working like its supposed to.........

Sheesh!