Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The AC problem has taken most of our thoughts lately, but forgot we have a moisture question.

On the driver's side, 2nd storage bay there seems to be quite alot of moisture as anything you put in there comes out wet. There's no standing water though. Any ideas where it could be coming from? All other storage bays are nice and dry and not even a spider. Thx.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The AC problem has taken most of our thoughts lately, but forgot we have a moisture question.

On the driver's side, 2nd storage bay there seems to be quite alot of moisture as anything you put in there comes out wet. There's no standing water though. Any ideas where it could be coming from? All other storage bays are nice and dry and not even a spider. Thx.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Check the light in the compartment. We had one that wasn't sealed properly and water ran in along the feed wire. It would fill up the lens and eventually spill into the compartment. We replaced the light ($9.95) and put a little extra sealant around where the feed wire comes through the panel. It's been almost 5 years and everything's still dry.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Check all your wiring pass throughs and also check to see that when the door is closed the wire between the door and seal does not get caught up allowing water to slowly leak in.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The second storage bay is the first behind the wheel. We had the same issue and I put sealant outside on the top seams of the box. Seemed everytime I washed the coach, or drove in the rain, the bay leaked. Easy fix.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I wonder if this relates to the problem I have with standing water in the front street side bay on my Meridian 34H.

I've looked and looked. and can't locate an obvious entry point.

It was dry after the heavy rains from the remains of one of the hurricanes came through, and then the other day there was a half inch of water in the bay.
Tuney-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar problem -- water in the bay, but no obvious entry. Turned out that a water fitting running along the top of the bay had a fitting that was dripping. Tightened it up half a turn and no more problem.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I'll have to get in and take a look. I didn't think there were any water lines that far forward in the coach.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem, and found an easy fix:

I had placed some water hose in that storage bay (under the couch in the slide), since the usual location was really filled with blue waste water tubing. After a few weeks in the Arizona desert, the storage unit developed a severe case of condensation, and it must have "rained" on the other items in the storage bay.

The fix? Opened up the bay doors, emptied the bay, allowed everything to dry out, then repacked the bay. No problems since.

Unit: 2004 36.5 ft Journey

Wendell
Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The wet bay is the front bay under the driver's seat. It's been empty since the first time i found it wet.

At first I thought it was condensation from the service supplies I was keeping in there.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had one bay that collected moisture. I think I just overpacked it with tube type folding chairs, and canopies. The fabric would create a space in the seal. To be safe, I drilled a 2" hole in the bottom of the bay and inserted a passthrough cap used for power cords. Since I don't plan to run a cord through, I covered the hole with nylon type steel wool, to keep out bugs. It has worked well for me as it allows evaporation in the hot SoCal sun, and prevents mold.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Put a very bright light in the storage bay and close the door. Crawl under the coach and see if you can identify any light shining through where the compartments are connected or where the "foam" type seal is.

That was the problem with mine and was an easy fix.

Just a thought....
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote