Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacing a bathroom fan is one thing... then, removing the mildew stain is another. It is a small strip of darkness in the carpet ceiling over the shower. Maybe 20 inches long, by 2 inches wide, where the ceiling meets the exterior wall, mottled light gray to black in color. We've thought of spraying various cleaners, even a diluted bleach solution, but are afraid to ruin the appearance or even rot the fabric. If any of you have solved this one, I'd like to hear about it before we start experimenting. Thanks.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Replacing a bathroom fan is one thing... then, removing the mildew stain is another. It is a small strip of darkness in the carpet ceiling over the shower. Maybe 20 inches long, by 2 inches wide, where the ceiling meets the exterior wall, mottled light gray to black in color. We've thought of spraying various cleaners, even a diluted bleach solution, but are afraid to ruin the appearance or even rot the fabric. If any of you have solved this one, I'd like to hear about it before we start experimenting. Thanks.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Be careful about getting the carpet in your ceiling too wet, the backing is a type of mahogany luan that will bleed through the carpet and make things much worse. When cleaning the ceiling carpet do not let the cleaner soak through!
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I vote for the weak bleach solution.
Look in Boaters World or your local Grocery, there may be a commercial mildew remover. As stated before use sparingly and you may have to use a couple of applications.
Weak bleach is what I used in the boat. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I've used a weak bleach solution, small scrub brush and a wet/dry vaccuum to clean the ceiling area around the skylight in the shower. Agree with the comment of NOT soaking the area, in fear of bleed through. Took a couple of applications with dry-time between each, but it looks soooo much better. Good luck.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Steelhead bluesman: Two suggestions, have tried them both and they worked pretty well. (One), use Oxyclean and damp sponge-- blot area. (Two), Bissel foam carpet cleaner and soft brush, then blot dry or vacuum.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had a couple spots on my shower ceiling.

I used one of the Oxy cleaner products from a dollar store. Put it on and left it for a day or two. When I check the spot in a couple days the spot was gone.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote