Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Microwave Stove Vent

I have a 2004 Adventurer 38J equiped with a microwave over the stove. The stove vent is built into the microwave. There is a vent on the outside of the coach opposite where the stove is located. When the vent is turned on, it recirculates back into the coach, not out the vent to the outside. Is this the way it should be or is it possible to vent to the outside. It does not make sense that there would be a vent on the outside of the coach and then not vent the hood to the outside.

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Possibly your original microwave was replaced. Many replacement microwaves can be vented to the outside or, after going through filters, to the inside. If replaced it may have be set to vent to the inside.

Do you have the paperwork for the microwave?? This paperwork would show if your model can be vented both ways.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

now a question in the fan 12 volt mine was wired backwards from factory
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Side Question---How do you keep the vent flap from "flapping" while driving?
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsharbor View Post
Side Question---How do you keep the vent flap from "flapping" while driving?
I wrapped tape around a piece of 1/2 in. foam pipe insulation. It looks kind of like a bullet. It's pointed on one end and open on the other so that it can be inserted on to the tapered end of a broom handle.

I can install and remove from the vent while standing on the ground.

It's never fallen out by accident in seven years.

I also use the broom handle to reach my rear camera with a dishwashing sponge. I slipped a section of heater hose over the sponge handle to use as a "coupler".
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks ernieh---sounds like a good idea!!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi Dave,

If your question is ‘Will a 12V DC fan run backwards if the wires are reversed?’, the answer is yes. If your question is ‘Will this cause the vent to exhaust into the coach?’, the answer would be no. As Tom says, the microwave vent system has to be baffled for one or the other.

Stemler,

I think Tom has the answer. Check the installed model number against the parts book to see if it has been changed. It could be the same model that was original in the coach and if it is, I believe that they can be configured to vent inside or out. If it has been replaced with a different model, look up the service manual for the installed one and it should show whether it can or cannot be configured for internal or external venting.

Ours is a 2004 and came with the Sharp R-1874. It made an awful noise in the beginning, which turned out to be microwave parts vibrating against each other and the mounting frames. After removal and the addition of several sticky back foam insulating pads on a few surfaces, the rattles are gone and the vent works just fine.

John,

Yep, ours rattles also. Driving down the road or just parked with a wind on the side. For long trips, I do something similar to what ernieh does. I have a piece of foam that I wedge into the outside to hold the flap closed. Mine takes a ladder though.

ernieh,

Would you happen to have pictures of your two handy items? Dony gets the job of climbing up to clean the camera and I’m sure she would welcome a better way to clean it. I get the job of installing and removing the foam for the vent flapper and ladders are becoming scary things for me.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

MrT,

I will take some pics and see if I can post them.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote