Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I've got a '98 Vectra 35' diesel and the microwave is out of level a lot. It is at least 1/2" high in the back. This is not the original microwave but a sharp carousel mic/convection. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

I've removed the bezel around the oven and peered back into the space around the oven and it appears that the whole "floor" that the oven is setting on needs to be lowered in the back. I cannot just raise the front because the bevel will no longer fit. Is lowering the "floor" my only choice?
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've got a '98 Vectra 35' diesel and the microwave is out of level a lot. It is at least 1/2" high in the back. This is not the original microwave but a sharp carousel mic/convection. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

I've removed the bezel around the oven and peered back into the space around the oven and it appears that the whole "floor" that the oven is setting on needs to be lowered in the back. I cannot just raise the front because the bevel will no longer fit. Is lowering the "floor" my only choice?
2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 12-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">is not the original microwave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds like it may be slightly deeper than the original, and whoever installed it either didn't go to the trouble to make the required mod to the cabinet, or decided it could not be reasonably modified and that living with the sloped bottom was easier to deal with. Only way to know for sure is to remove it and and see if there is some way you can lower the rear of the microwave.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

pete ...

Are there "legs" on the bottom side of microwave ... if there are maybe you could drill / chisel / saw out indentations that the legs could drop down into ...

At GNR people use shovels to dig out under the wheels that are on the high side when they are assigned to a hilly parking spot ... I am suggesting that if you have raised supports that you dig out under them ....

Tim the Toolman would attack with a reciprocal saw in one hand and a wood chisel in the other ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Jim
Winnebago Owner

hi..my original sharp micro convection oven had to be replaced under warranty..the replacement was slightly different and but the dealer installed it using the original bracket or whatever holds up the back..and the result was the back was about 1/2" higher than the front..i didn't notice it until i was unable to get back to the dealer to have it fixed..a second dealer had to remove the unit and lower the rear support..jim..
Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I've removed the microwave and after inspection and advice from a carpenter friend, it looks like the best solution is to build a new support platform. That means the range hood will have to be removed, not a big deal with 4 screws and unplug electrical connections. The biggest problem will be establishing a plane of reference to work from. Of course, if I ever have to replace this oven I'll probably get to do the job all over but at least I'll have this experience to help guide me.

Thanks for the input. I'll try to post my final solution.
2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 12-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Pete ...

Sorry to hear the "platform" is tilted ... your carpenter friend should be able to give you some hints on how to reinstall the "platform" so that it is level ... carpenters are pretty clever in using clamps, spacers, and templates to establish proper orientation ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote