Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Microwave/convection oven

Found out today I can not order Sightseer 35J with exterior entertainment center if I have oven with range top. So we went with Microwave/convection oven and range top. What is the pros and cons about microwave/convection oven. We have never used a convection oven.
Wyatt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We love it mine GE works just like a oven, have two extra draws one bread and the other the goody draw. Less cleaning with stainless steel interior.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Only one place to cook. For instance we have used our portable convection oven along with the micro. Only thing that I can think of. Good luck!!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Convection cooking is great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt53 View Post
Found out today I can not order Sightseer 35J with exterior entertainment center if I have oven with range top. So we went with Microwave/convection oven and range top. What is the pros and cons about microwave/convection oven. We have never used a convection oven.
The convection oven is great. You must use the metal stand when cooking anything. The stand allows the heat to be moved (with a fan) all around the food. Take any recipe and set the oven to the recipe temperature. No preheating is necessary because the oven allows for that and the heat is almost instant. Now the best part...if the recipe calls for 45 minutes you take half of that and add 5 minutes for cooking. i.e. 45 minutes is cut in half to 22.5 minutes plus 5 minutes to equal 27.5 minutes total cooking time including the built-in preheating. I know it sounds strange but it works! Any cooking time is cut in half plus 5 minutes. We have the convection/microwave oven in our coach and it is called a "half-time oven" for that very reason. The micro is used without the metal stand just like any ordinary microwave.

After using the convection oven, we wonder why we don't have it at home. Unfortunately, we have a new oven at home that is not convection. We didn't know what convection cooking was until having it in our coach. You will really like it. Happy travels, Joe
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I agree with the others here. We have the conventional gas oven in our coach and its only use is to store some pans. Between the gas cook top and the convection microwave, we can pretty much cook anything we want to.

I would not hesitate to order a new rig without the gas oven.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your reply. Wife said she only uses it for baking biscuit
Wyatt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

DW is a professional chef. She loves the MW/Convection and has done some amazing dishes as my belt size confirms. We've used the regular oven 2 times in 3 years...too small for anything useful...IHHO.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Concur with Belgique. My DW, though not a professional chef, is the best cook I've ever seen and she doesn't like our oven either. She adapted quite well to convection cooking and the dual purpose convention/microwave works great!
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Now the dissenting opinion. I love my gas oven. Don't get me wrong, the mic/convec has it's place and is certainly convenient when I am plugged in to shore power. I don't want to mess with battery draw down with inverter or fire up the generator to make bake something. JMO
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote